For First Time in 8 Years, AOL Revenue Increases

Status
Not open for further replies.

afrobacon

Distinguished
Feb 20, 2008
[citation][nom]A Bad Day[/nom]I still have an AOL free 500 hours CD. I wonder if I could still use it...[/citation]
I used to collect those things; I'm sure I have a "1.0" version disc laying around in some old CD case somewhere. I wonder if it's worth anything...

Benihana

Distinguished
Nov 21, 2009
[citation][nom]afrobacon[/nom]I used to collect those things; I'm sure I have a "1.0" version disc laying around in some old CD case somewhere. I wonder if it's worth anything...[/citation]
Yeah! I've got that on a Floppy myself. :D

shqtth

Distinguished
Sep 4, 2008
[citation][nom]Benihana[/nom]Yeah! I've got that on a Floppy myself.[/citation]

AOL was a good source for replacement floppies :p
My DOS boot disk is on one haha

JOSHSKORN

Distinguished
Oct 26, 2009
[citation][nom]anxiousinfusion[/nom]I'm surprised they're even earning that much.[/citation]
I'm surprised they aren't dead.

AOL was the best thing...until the next thing came along...and then Facebook destroyed that...and now Facebook is destroying itself with its (lack of) privacy...

JOSHSKORN

Distinguished
Oct 26, 2009
[citation][nom]amk-aka-Phantom[/nom]Read www.infoworld.com/t/cringely/aols- [...] ars-212535 They still have a few million dial-up subscribers. Can you imagine that?![/citation]
Hmm, according to that article, they lost 10 percent to 'natural causes'...that doesn't surprise me. I bet most of these dial-up users are elderly...and we all know what happens after you get old...

Fulgurant

Distinguished
Nov 29, 2012
[citation][nom]amk-aka-Phantom[/nom]Read www.infoworld.com/t/cringely/aols- [...] ars-212535 They still have a few million dial-up subscribers. Can you imagine that?![/citation]

Yes, I imagine there are more dial-up users than we might think, on first blush. The idea seems absolutely archaic, but every once in while it's worth keeping in mind that the widespread availability of broadband is probably less than a decade old.

Hell, I had a cell phone the size of a brick in 2001. It's amazing how quickly things change these days; how many decades, I wonder, did it take the whole of society to adopt far more important things like electricity or indoor heating/plumbing? There are probably people in the United States right now who still use an outhouse.

alidan

Splendid
Aug 5, 2009
[citation][nom]afrobacon[/nom]I used to collect those things; I'm sure I have a "1.0" version disc laying around in some old CD case somewhere. I wonder if it's worth anything...[/citation]
depends on packageing and condition,
heard they were going for 50-500$ as collectors items.

Elwenil

Honorable
Feb 23, 2012
[citation][nom]Fulgurant[/nom]Yes, I imagine there are more dial-up users than we might think, on first blush. The idea seems absolutely archaic, but every once in while it's worth keeping in mind that the widespread availability of broadband is probably less than a decade old.[/citation]

It probably has more to do with the fact that AOL is notoriously hard to get rid of once they have their claws in you. There are probably people out there still paying for AOL and don't realize it. My aunt recently told me she still pays the monthly fee for access to her email. She is not Internet savvy and had no clue that she doesn't need to pay anyone anything to access her account online. I wasn't really surprised when I found out that she called and cancelled it twice and still they billed her her every month just like they did to me many years ago when I dropped AOL as an ISP and went DSL. AOL has always been a crap company and always will be.

Fulgurant

Distinguished
Nov 29, 2012

Yeah, I had that problem too, way back in the day. The offender wasn't AOL, though -- I think it was Earthlink. Bloodsuckers charged me for what must've been close to extra two years despite my constantly cancelling.

Seems like that problem was an epidemic with dial-up providers. I guess the monthly charge was small enough that they could pull it off without most people noticing. Adds up, though.

Anyway, life is war, unfortunately. Whether it's the bank, the DMV, an unscrupulous dial-up provider -- chances are, someone is going to screw you over in some small way, and fairly often, either through institutional ruthlessness or bureaucratic incompetence. For example, I've been registered under three separate spellings of my name with my municipality's Jury Selection Committee for the last five years or so -- and no matter what I do, I can't get them to fix the error. So I'm summoned to jury duty constantly, and it's a fight each and every time.

C'est la vie. C'est la guerre.

Honorable
Feb 9, 2013
I live in a semi-rural area, and you would be surprised how many customers and clients still come in asking if we have AOL disks. Didn't have the heart to tell them I've been using one as a coaster for years. lol.

In all seriousness, in our locale sometimes its the only thing people can get. ATT promised that the area would be all DSL/Cable by a certain date...well....that didn't happen (surprise huh?) and most folks in the northern part of the county can only get dial-up. What's even worse is these folks have trouble believing that dial-up modems are not standard on PC's anymore.

So, I can see why they are still around, but to be posting THAT much revenue and to be making money is astounding!

tokencode

Distinguished
Dec 25, 2010
[citation][nom]0660650667072[/nom]I live in a semi-rural area, and you would be surprised how many customers and clients still come in asking if we have AOL disks. Didn't have the heart to tell them I've been using one as a coaster for years. lol.In all seriousness, in our locale sometimes its the only thing people can get. ATT promised that the area would be all DSL/Cable by a certain date...well....that didn't happen (surprise huh?) and most folks in the northern part of the county can only get dial-up. What's even worse is these folks have trouble believing that dial-up modems are not standard on PC's anymore. So, I can see why they are still around, but to be posting THAT much revenue and to be making money is astounding![/citation]

At that point, you're better off with 3G wireless if possible. I can't imagine trying to browse today's web over dialup... most sites assume their main userbase has some type of broadband

Honorable
Feb 9, 2013
[citation][nom]tokencode[/nom]At that point, you're better off with 3G wireless if possible. I can't imagine trying to browse today's web over dialup... most sites assume their main userbase has some type of broadband[/citation]

Personally, I've got cable through the local company. But the county is large and some folks even just outside city limits have trouble getting broadband. As far as 3g wireless is concerned, yep; that's what I recommend for them, either that or satellite (but only as a last result there.)

It's blows my mind the vast difference between internet connectivity options only available to some folks in these United States. As far as infrastructure is concerned in our country, we are way behind in terms of technology in bringing high speed internet to the majority of folks.

shadowfamicom

Honorable
May 2, 2012
I have about 8 sealed stacks of 25 "AOL 3.0" Floppies. Bought them at a flea market last year. Guy sold them to me for $1.50 a stack. Not worth much right now, and even if they never increase in value they make great backup for my BIOS updates, DOS boot discs and my 90's Super Nintendo copier.

G

God bless AOL! AOL are the best! Yaaaaaaaaaaayyyyyyyyyyy for AOL!!

Non-Euclidean

Distinguished
Nov 5, 2009
[citation][nom]shadowfamicom[/nom]I have about 8 sealed stacks of 25 "AOL 3.0" Floppies. Bought them at a flea market last year. Guy sold them to me for $1.50 a stack. Not worth much right now, and even if they never increase in value they make great backup for my BIOS updates, DOS boot discs and my 90's Super Nintendo copier.[/citation]

Wow. Someone who actually admitted using floppies.

Non-Euclidean

Distinguished
Nov 5, 2009
[citation][nom]Fulgurant[/nom]Hell, I had a cell phone the size of a brick in 2001. It's amazing how quickly things change these days; [/citation]

Watch Lethal Weapon 1 again some time. Watch Danny Glover pull over on an overpass and make a call with a portable phone from that era.

Status
Not open for further replies.