Ford Turning Off PCs at Night to Save $1.2M

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

rackley

Distinguished
Feb 19, 2010
I used to work at Ford and I remember this guy. He has no regard for impact on end user productivity - the people who actually make the company run. Why not hibernate the systems instead? You'll get the same power savings with far less impact to users. Doesn't he realize the Office documents are not the only things that run on computers? Engineering apps? Browsers? Notes taken in Notepad? Opened emails? There is very little thought behind this. FAIL for employees, BIG BONUS for him because he can flash some big numbers. Just like he did for previous projects.

rackley

Distinguished
Feb 19, 2010
I used to work at Ford and I remember this guy. He has no regard for impact on end user productivity - the people who actually make the company run. Why not hibernate the systems instead? You'll get the same power savings with far less impact to users. Doesn't he realize the Office documents are not the only things that run on computers? Engineering apps? Browsers? Notes taken in Notepad? Opened emails? There is very little thought behind this. FAIL for employees, BIG BONUS for him because he can flash some big numbers. Just like he did for previous projects.

co30cl

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2008
This is actually counter productive. My company does this, so every morning it takes 5-10 minutes to reboot my computer and get my windows and applications back to where they were. My billing rate is $250/hr so this 'cost saving effort' costs them $100-$125 per week.

co30cl

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2008
This is actually counter productive. My company does this, so every morning it takes 5-10 minutes to reboot my computer and get my windows and applications back to where they were. My billing rate is $250/hr so this 'cost saving effort' costs them $100-$125 per week.

jacobdrj

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2005
co30cl, that is a good point. There can be a happy medium, however. You could have auto-power-on. You could have parts of the company that don't have your specialty and need for the computer. They could get FiOs and SSD's.

falchard

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2008
Most major drawback for American Automakers is dealing with the UAC. They are overpaid and strike every 3 years demanding something new. The reason they can't sell a car at the proper range is because of the excessive wages on UAC members. It not like the UAC even offers better quality. The only thing they offer is political oversight.
The most cost savings measure Ford can undertake is using non-union workers. Alot of foriegn automakers have plants in the US since they can hire non-union labor. Toyota, Lotus, and Nissan are doing this.

jacobdrj

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2005
[citation][nom]rcpratt[/nom]Haha, I work for the local Detroit utility, bad news for us[/citation]
I interned at said utility last year.
It is always funny how they are pushing customers to save energy, despite this being bad for business...

jacobdrj

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2005
[citation][nom]falchard[/nom]Most major drawback for American Automakers is dealing with the UAC. They are overpaid and strike every 3 years demanding something new. The reason they can't sell a car at the proper range is because of the excessive wages on UAC members. It not like the UAC even offers better quality. The only thing they offer is political oversight.The most cost savings measure Ford can undertake is using non-union workers. Alot of foriegn automakers have plants in the US since they can hire non-union labor. Toyota, Lotus, and Nissan are doing this.[/citation]
I don't know if it the UAW itself, so much as the legacy costs of pensions and the like. I would rather get paid more and choose my own health plan rather than have my company buy it for me and choose my retirement pension. I am a big boy, I can save myself. There is already national social security as a safety net...

kenwheeler77

Distinguished
Jan 6, 2010
[citation][nom]guid_aaa000001[/nom]They can hibernate instead of shutting down the computer[/citation]

You're kidding, right? One of the first things that get's turned off on a Windows machine is hibernation. Windows machines need to be rebooted, not put to sleep.

nebun

Distinguished
Oct 20, 2008
[citation][nom]rackley[/nom]I used to work at Ford and I remember this guy. He has no regard for impact on end user productivity - the people who actually make the company run. Why not hibernate the systems instead? You'll get the same power savings with far less impact to users. Doesn't he realize the Office documents are not the only things that run on computers? Engineering apps? Browsers? Notes taken in Notepad? Opened emails? There is very little thought behind this. FAIL for employees, BIG BONUS for him because he can flash some big numbers. Just like he did for previous projects.[/citation]

this is what i call lazy and dumb. every person who uses a computer at work should save all documents and log off before the end of the day. if you do this you will have no issues will loss of work...etc

huron

Distinguished
Jun 4, 2007
[citation][nom]eddieroolz[/nom]The more I hear about the things Ford is doing, the more I like them. They're the only American carmaker left with some sense.[/citation]

I have a few friends who work at GM and they have said time and time again that they cannot implement some things that make sense because of the current government oversight.

I'll agree - Ford is doing some great things and making some very nice products.

formin

Distinguished
Mar 7, 2009
[citation][nom]doomtomb[/nom]So they were too lazy to shut down the computer at the end of the work day?[/citation]

How hard is it to program the server to shutdown all logged out workstations on a network after a certain hour? Its definitely less then $1.2M of work.

Why isn't every company doing this? And turn your lights off too.

theuerkorn

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2009
[citation][nom]jomofro39[/nom]The fact that this is just NOW news, explains to me why the American auto industry is failing. FAIL. Get it together. I bet next year we will learn that they are starting to turn off lights in rooms they do not use.[/citation]
It's not really that they don't know, but more that the necessity didn't arise with low energy costs. It's just to illustrate that all the "Green" thinking won't go anywhere unless it has a financial impact. Sad but true.

mdrejhon

Distinguished
Feb 12, 2008
I think Hibernate would be better.
Would solve the power problem, while preserving the user's work state.

All the modern computers do Hibernate just fine now, even Windows XP SP3 on good recent hardware, and any instabilities right now is as rare, as computers getting stuck while shutting down (it still happens a lot). It might cost slightly more to implement hibernate, but more than paid for by improved productivity.

jacobdrj

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2005
[citation][nom]dreamphantom_1977[/nom]Forget that I have a better idea- Lets move to a 2 day work week and 5 days off. work 20 hours one day, and 20 hours another day, and then have 5 days off. Same pay, more free time. Less traffic, less closing and opening time. Less work setup up machines. Less wasted electricity on week long lighting. More time for everyone to do what they want or work towards there dreams. Less people going crazy cuz they feel like slaves. The world would be a much better place.[/citation]
I do love the 4 day work week. But too much free with a 2 day work week. I'd be bored.

theuerkorn

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2009
[citation][nom]jacobdrj[/nom]Some rendering programs take days to finish. If you turned off your computer every night, the work would LITERALLY never get done.[/citation]
You're right, but that's not the point here. It's the legion of mundane computers which literally do nothing for most of the time (used for up to 8 hours per day, and sitting idle for the remaining 16 hours). Leaving even simple computers on for the time still comes in at roughly 100 - 200W idle. (often monitors are condemned to stay on and show those "screen savers")

IFLATLINEI

Distinguished
Jan 24, 2010
Are you kidding me? Now they decide its appropriate to start shutting PC's down at night and weekends? They should have been doing this already for years. Energy conservation is not new for god sakes.

RazberyBandit

Distinguished
Dec 25, 2008

While I agree this should have been done years ago, Ford wasn't the one with their hand out asking for a big slice of guvment cheese... That was GM and Chrysler.

Status
Not open for further replies.