Forget Black Friday, It's Cyber Monday

Status
Not open for further replies.

sstym

Distinguished
Feb 16, 2009
I have a mercifully short list of items that I MIGHT buy if the deal is sensational:
11.6" ULV laptop
Indilinx or Intel based 2nd gen solid state drive

And if I don't find a truly great deal, these will have to wait a few months.
Having a list beforehand works best for me. This way I won't be tempted by a good deal on something I don't really need.

JMcEntegart

Splendid
Aug 25, 2007
[citation][nom]sstym[/nom]Having a list beforehand works best for me. This way I won't be tempted by a good deal on something I don't really need.[/citation]

Even if I have a list, I just see things and think, "Why weren't YOU on my list? Come to me, beautiful piece of discounted electronics. Soon we will be happy together in your new home."

maydaynomore

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2009
If anybody here has found a good deal on something, please post it. I'd love to get my hands on a i7 laptop. I found one on Black Friday for $750. Sadly it was an HP (will never buy HP). So if anyone has seen a similar deal, any brand but HP, I'd like to know about it. Thanks!

DoofusOfDeath

Distinguished
Sep 21, 2009
[citation][nom]maydaynomore[/nom]If anybody here has found a good deal on something, please post it. I'd love to get my hands on a i7 laptop. I found one on Black Friday for $750. Sadly it was an HP (will never buy HP). So if anyone has seen a similar deal, any brand but HP, I'd like to know about it. Thanks![/citation]

Actually, HP's dv8t looks pretty good to me. What's the reason for avoiding HP?

Yeah, except looking at NewEgg.com (haven't looked elsewhere yet) they're only putting old stuff on sale (or low end, like GT 220 GPUs).

How about E-Tailers and Intel/AMD put real serious stuff on sale? i5/i7 or PII anyone? Seriously, in my opinion (based on my own wants/needs) the stuff on sale that I've seen so far is gimmick stuff.

ravewulf

Distinguished
Oct 20, 2008
While some people make a point of ignoring Black Friday shopping because the whole experience tends to be pretty traumatizing
^OMG THIS

On Black Friday I slept in.

So far today I bought a game online and will be browsing around a bit for other stuff later.

maydaynomore

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2009
[citation][nom]DoofusOfDeath[/nom]Actually, HP's dv8t looks pretty good to me. What's the reason for avoiding HP?[/citation]
Bad experience (desktops, printers and a TV they couldn't completely fix the 3 times they came to my house). I swore never to buy HP again. Its been about 3 yrs, and no matter how good the deal, i won't bite. Never again. This is based on my personal experience with HP products. I'm sure there are a lot of people happy with their HPs. I am not one of those people.

sstym

Distinguished
Feb 16, 2009
[citation][nom]JMcEntegart[/nom]Even if I have a list, I just see things and think, "Why weren't YOU on my list? Come to me, beautiful piece of discounted electronics. Soon we will be happy together in your new home.[/citation]

I know the feeling. However, you have the added perk of being able to think "this will be helpful whilst I work (pantless) from my couch".

azxcvbnm321

Distinguished
Oct 13, 2008
CyberMonday is dead. The only reason we had it was because there was no broadband available for most people in their homes. Therefore they had to wait until Monday to use the broadband at work to buy all the stuff online. Nowadays, there's no need to wait until Monday, so all the deals are released on Friday online with everything else. I have yet to see any deals at all for CyberMonday, Amazon doesn't even acknowledge it.

JMcEntegart

Splendid
Aug 25, 2007
[citation][nom]sstym[/nom]I know the feeling. However, you have the added perk of being able to think "this will be helpful whilst I work (pantless) from my couch".[/citation]

It's true. I also recently moved one of my couches into the kitchen. With the downstairs bathroom roughly 7 seconds away, I never have to be away from the fridge for more than 90 seconds at a time ever again.

Yoder54

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2008
I took advantage of a sale at Newegg. Got a HP Pavilion dv6-1362nr NoteBook Intel Core 2 Duo T6600(2.20GHz) 15.6" 4GB Memory 320GB HDD 7200rpm DVD Super Multi ATI Mobility Radeon HD 4650 with 1Gb VRAM for $649. I haven't seen anyone even come close to this and Newegg is now selling it for $799 with a $50 rebate.

The computer is not for anyone in my family. My wife has a 15 year-old student she tutors who has Juvenile Rheumatoid Arthritis. The poor kid just had hip replacement, and the other hip is bone-on-bone. His life is hell, and he spends most of his time in bed, and has to use a wheel chair at times. He has been identified as being the worst case in the US for his age. It is really terrible to see a kid have to go through shit like that. Knowing how the disease works and how it effects the heart, I think he will be lucky to see his 40's. Anyway, we just really feel for the kid, so we decided to hook him up with something that will provide him with some joy for a few years.

Besides the laptop, I am going to set him up with legal copies of: CS3, Office 2008, and Paint Shop Pro. We are also giving him an older digital camera, a nice leather case for the laptop, and one of those locks for the laptop. I am also going to his home and will set up the wireless router that I am giving him.

Won't be spending much on anything else this year, but this is by far one of the best gifts we have ever given. I can hardly wait to see the kid's face.

The_Blood_Raven

Distinguished
Jan 2, 2008
[citation][nom]jerreece[/nom]Yeah, except looking at NewEgg.com (haven't looked elsewhere yet) they're only putting old stuff on sale (or low end, like GT 220 GPUs).How about E-Tailers and Intel/AMD put real serious stuff on sale? i5/i7 or PII anyone? Seriously, in my opinion (based on my own wants/needs) the stuff on sale that I've seen so far is gimmick stuff.[/citation]

I remember last year, an i7 920 and an X58 motherboard sold for around $150 as a special.

ssalim

Distinguished
Sep 29, 2007
Past 2 years I spent $0 on black friday and cyber monday.
This year I redeemd them by spending over $500. Ouches will be for dinner next month when paying credit card bill.

JMcEntegart

Splendid
Aug 25, 2007
[citation][nom]Yoder54[/nom]I took advantage of a sale at Newegg. Got a HP Pavilion dv6-1362nr NoteBook Intel Core 2 Duo T6600(2.20GHz) 15.6" 4GB Memory 320GB HDD 7200rpm DVD Super Multi ATI Mobility Radeon HD 4650 with 1Gb VRAM for $649. I haven't seen anyone even come close to this and Newegg is now selling it for $799 with a $50 rebate.The computer is not for anyone in my family. My wife has a 15 year-old student she tutors who has Juvenile Rheumatoid Arthritis. The poor kid just had hip replacement, and the other hip is bone-on-bone. His life is hell, and he spends most of his time in bed, and has to use a wheel chair at times. He has been identified as being the worst case in the US for his age. It is really terrible to see a kid have to go through shit like that. Knowing how the disease works and how it effects the heart, I think he will be lucky to see his 40's. Anyway, we just really feel for the kid, so we decided to hook him up with something that will provide him with some joy for a few years. Besides the laptop, I am going to set him up with legal copies of: CS3, Office 2008, and Paint Shop Pro. We are also giving him an older digital camera, a nice leather case for the laptop, and one of those locks for the laptop. I am also going to his home and will set up the wireless router that I am giving him.Won't be spending much on anything else this year, but this is by far one of the best gifts we have ever given. I can hardly wait to see the kid's face.[/citation]

This comment made my day. :)

dogofwars

Distinguished
May 6, 2009
I would never go shopping on Black Friday. I am surprised that nothing really bad happened. Call me chicken but I don't like the fact that I could get stomped or kill by a lunatic or one of those damn martyr crap!!!

jarchack

Distinguished
Dec 18, 2008
Nobody in our family is getting any big box items this year and I won't even go anywhere on Black Friday, much less shop. Cyber Monday... meh, haven't seen anything that's on my wish list, i7, radeon 5870. Even if I was looking for a laptop I haven't seen killer deals on the ones I'd buy.

Status
Not open for further replies.