Solution
Hi,

The safest and fastest way to format an SSD is to execute the SECURE_ERASE command that is native to the SSD controller.

You should not use any formatting or data erasure programs as these can damage the SSD and degrade performance

SECURE_ERASE can be triggered only on an unmounted, non-system drive and will completely reset the disk to factory settings. There are multiple tools that can do this, some may be provided by the drive manufacturer but my personal favorite is PartedMagic which can be obtained for free from http://partedmagic.com

island55

Honorable
Jun 13, 2012
this is a good question, actually i would be curious to know the answer too. i am selling my old mushkin SSD to my brother and i want to format it and get my OS off and so he can install his fresh copy of Windows on it. so any help for us would be appreciated!

sepulvedajoseph94

Honorable
Jun 14, 2012

first go to the website and look in to there SSD if they have a tool for formatting. if not then your brother would just have to override the OS on the SDD. that the only to safes things i can only tell you .

Hi,

The safest and fastest way to format an SSD is to execute the SECURE_ERASE command that is native to the SSD controller.

You should not use any formatting or data erasure programs as these can damage the SSD and degrade performance

SECURE_ERASE can be triggered only on an unmounted, non-system drive and will completely reset the disk to factory settings. There are multiple tools that can do this, some may be provided by the drive manufacturer but my personal favorite is PartedMagic which can be obtained for free from http://partedmagic.com

Solution

wrenaudrey

Honorable
Mar 6, 2012

This magic tool, would i need to install it on another computer with another OS and format the ssd through this other computer?? Cause think about it, cant really open this magic tool on the drive that i want to format.

wrenaudrey

Honorable
Mar 6, 2012

That is when you need to make it usable.
What i want to know is when you need to totally wipe it to sell or to make way for a completely new install of an OS