Question Formatting HDD

DrizzleDrizzt

Reputable
Oct 21, 2016
Okay so i recently acquired a laptop from a deceased close friend. He had his user account on Windows 7 both password protected and protected with a fingerprint scanner. Since i can't login or create a new user, i want to format the ssd and hdd to install Windows 10. However, the setup cannot boot from USB due to the protection. I also cannot run Windows 7 recovery without the password. Any ideas on how to format the laptop without running into restrictions? Is it possible?

I'm very sorry to hear about your loss of your friend.

However, if it was that easy to get around the security measurements, there wouln't be any point doing so in the first place.

However, the setup cannot boot from USB due to the protection. I also cannot run Windows 7 recovery without the password.
I'm not sure what you're trying to do. If the protection device lock the OS and content of storage device there shouldn't be any reason why you cannot boot using an usb device.

DrizzleDrizzt

Reputable
Oct 21, 2016
I'm very sorry to hear about your loss of your friend.

However, if it was that easy to get around the security measurements, there wouln't be any point doing so in the first place.

I'm not sure what you're trying to do. If the protection device lock the OS and content of storage device there shouldn't be any reason why you cannot boot using an usb device.
I should rephrase. I can indeed boot from USB, i just cannot continue with Windows setup due to the restrictions. What i'm trying to do is simply format the hdd using Windows setup, either by the Windows 10 usb stick i have or via Windows 7 recovery in F8 startup but neither seems to work.

I should rephrase. I can indeed boot from USB, i just cannot continue with Windows setup due to the restrictions. What i'm trying to do is simply format the hdd using Windows setup, either by the Windows 10 usb stick i have or via Windows 7 recovery in F8 startup but neither seems to work.

Exactly what restrictions? What happens when you try, exact error messages and screens you see? If you can boot to the setup USB stick, you can just delete all the existing partitions and start a clean setup.

DrizzleDrizzt

Reputable
Oct 21, 2016
Exactly what restrictions? What happens when you try, exact error messages and screens you see? If you can boot to the setup USB stick, you can just delete all the existing partitions and start a clean setup.
The setup screen while booting from Windows 10 usb gives me two options: Windows setup 64bit and 32bit.

When entering 64bit setup and after it loads files, it gives me error code 0xc0000225. "The application or operating system couldn't be loaded because a required file is missing or contains errors."

When entering 32bit setup, it gives me error code 0xc000000f. "A required device isn't connected or can't be accessed."