formatting HDD

G

I have just replaced a 540meg secondary HDD with a fireball 3.2 gig HDD. After doing the normal checking for errors etc of the 3.2gig my system recognised it as a 3.2, everything was fine until I reformatted the new drive (D:), I failed to change the size of the disk window.
My system now recognises it as a 503 meg drive. I want to know how do I format the secondary drive so that I can use the whole lot? I cannot change the size of the disk size in the formatting window. I have also tried via DOS. I am using Win98 on a slow 200mhz cpu.

tartarhus

Distinguished
Apr 4, 2001
I have no idea what you are talking about, but do as follows. Make a 98 bootdisk and restart your computer using the bootdisk. At the command prompt enter:

fdisk

select "y" for enable large drive support
delete all the partitions on which ever drive you want to setup, then create a primary dos partition and select "y" to use all available space for primary partition. Restart your computer again using the bootdisk. At the command prompt type:

format d:

Assuming d is the drive you want to format.

-- Chaos is the better order.

G

Thanx tartarhus for your suggestion, tried it twice to no avail. further suggestions welcome. 1lunchboxlegend

G

To those that may have similar problems, I have solved same. I had to enter the Setup screen during boot up and locate the IDE Hard drives using the section set out for such activity. Then I had to reboot using a bootup disk and do as Tartarhus suggested with fdisk. The bootup disk now identified the harddrives as correct in size. I then formatted the selected drive. Everything works fine. Hope it may help others