Formatting SSD, gets a special treatment?

rlubocki

Distinguished
Sep 17, 2009
I installed full ver. Win 7 64 on my new 100GB SSD. And now I need to format the drive and do a fresh install again Do SSD get the same treatment as HDD? My plan is to format the drive from install win 7 disc.. Many thanks

A quick format is all that is required and will also trigger the TRIM function if your SSD has it. A full format does a lot of unnecessary writes to the SSD's flash memory that will shorten the life of the SSD. The flash memory has a limited number of erase and re-write cycles depending on its gate technology (e.g. 5,000-10,000 cycles for MLC NAND Flash), it's not infinite like an HDD.

blackhawk1928

Distinguished
^I am not sure, but I think for a full format it writes once to each cell, if each cell has thousands of cycles wouldn't that be kind of insignificant? Not sure though. And Ko888, I know you're using it as an example but doesn't MLC nand flash have over 10,000?

Typical Program/Erase Cycles for MLC SSD NAND is 10,000.

SLC SSD NAND, on the other-hand, have Typical Program/Erase Cycles of 100,000. This type of SSD is usually used in datacenters because of its higher reliability and cost and quicker read and program speeds.