Former AMD Exec: Even I Wouldn't Buy AMD

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jkflipflop98

Distinguished
They left out the part where he was talking about marketing. That was a huge strike against AMD back when they made a product that wasn't garbage.

Today, however, no amount of TV commercials will sell those crappy triple-cripples.

danish_2828

Distinguished
Aug 11, 2009
Back in 2004 I was business relationship rep for Dell, which built Intel based computers and servers exclusively. At home I had a home built AMD64 939 3800+ with nForce 4 sli and nvidia 6800gt. That whole year I wondered why Dell was stuck on under performing Pentium 4 as there high end systems. Even the Xeon under performed compared to the Opterons, which could be not only paired but built with 4 or 8 processors. It was hard for me to believe in the product I was recommending to clients, because I knew that there was such a better product out there.

tommysch

Distinguished
Sep 6, 2008
I dont see anything wrong, its true, if you have enough money why would you buy a crappy AMD chip?? Its like working at hyundai, they do sell decent car if your in the market for the cheap stuff. But do you think the hyundai execs dont prefer a BMW M3 over the PoS they sell?

Intel dominates the high end market, by a long shot.

You would buy "Crappy" AMD chips because before core 2 came out AMD had CPU's that where faster then Intels top offerings without the lovely overheating(Prescott) issue.

That being said. Only after Core2 did Intel actually dominate to this extent, back then AMD had a fair lead over them for the most part.

Ohh yeah, I AM on an Intel system, but i would have never touched a P4.

nicklasd87

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2009
You AMD fanboys that buy an AMD processor based on processor quality of 2006 must be aware that Intel was, and still is, put in a position where they are forced to give AMD technology research so AMD will remain competative, right? It is in Intel's advantage to have AMD be competitive, because otherwise Intel will have a monopoly, and will be forced to split up anyway.

hundredislandsboy

Distinguished

Losers?! Apparently you don't follow AMD stock. Go back one year and you'll see AMD go up almost 5 times in value (almost 500 percent while Intel stock went up about 50 percent. Lol....

soonerproud

Distinguished
May 23, 2009
[citation][nom]mrmotion[/nom]Hey the P4's werent all bad. My Northwood 2.6 HT was an ass kicker. Its still running today and running very well. It helps to be running linux on it but you get the point.[/citation]

I have to second this. Until the A64's came down in price to a affordable level, the P4 was actually a better price vs performance bargain for about a year after A64 was released. I built both P64 and Athlon XP systems during this period because AMD wanted way too much money for A64 and the 754 socket was already fixing to be phased out for the better 939 platform. Both companies product even to this day have their pluses and minuses so a little research on the end users part should determine which is the better buy for your particular needs.

during the summer of last year the X4 955/890GX combo was the best bargain compared to similar performing Intel processors and the X4 does everything I need very well. I would take that memo with a grain of salt because it is obvious that Richards was talking about the sorry state of AMD's marketing of it's products and not putting down the quality of the products. Most people I know can identify the Intel name and trademark but have no clue that there is even a competitor name AMD much less Via either.

soonerproud

Distinguished
May 23, 2009
[citation][nom]ThE_BrutE[/nom]Im assuming for his sake he was looking into the future. Because well AMD didnt advance much for almost 2 years there, mean while Intel was starting up/profecting their Tic Toc method. And as for being able to run/not run apps, im clueless an x86 instruction is an x86 instruction, both AMDs and Intels chips at that time were very simular. And @Cadder I know back 2 years ago AMDs chips were slower but I noticed they muiltasked better. Now between the PII and I7 the I7 is much faser per single core app, but the speed gap deteriorates fast over multi core apps, which brings in price vs performance vs what its needed for.[/citation]

Intel has been busted for lowering performance of application that were compiled using the Intel compiler when a non-Intel CPU is detected. That is a very big reason why many applications perform slower under other x86 processors and Intel has agreed to stop the practice in it's settlement with AMD. In other words, applications compiled using Intel software artificially limit performance of non-Intel CPU's to make Intel's products look better when in reality they are not. Give it a year or two once these crippled applications are replaced with ones not crippled and we can make a true judgment on which CPU is really better over all.

kingair11

Distinguished
Jan 6, 2010
Just bought the Phenom II 965 Black Edition and could not be happier with AMD. I hope they can win more market share...

masterasia

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2009
At one time, AMD was was King. The FX chips were awesome. I actually bought one for like $400 when they first came out. Those days are now long over. I don't know if AMD will ever be on top again. What ever happened to the "reverse engineering" days when Intel would let AMD copy Intel? That was probably the only time that AMD thrived.

I'm really pulling for them to come out with something that would come close to winning the performance crown back. That way Intel doesn't have to charge $500+ for a processor. The Gulftown is rumored to be $1400. Intel can get away with it because AMD has nothing that will even come close to it. The Phenom II was a very good try. It gave the i7 920 a good run, but when both are overclocked, the i7 920 clearly is the big winner due to it's overclock-ability, hyper threading, and triple channel memory.

cmdprompt

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2010
Coldmast said: "Intel -- collecting internal communication from competitors; how exactly is this supposed to help with your case with the FTC?"

It's called legal discovery, as the article said... Here let me google that for you: Special Google Link

4trees

Distinguished
Dec 4, 2009
I too bought my AMD cpu back then. 3800x2 @2.7. Its still my primary setup and doing well. I would make the same purchase again if I was to do it all over again.

G

@coldmast "collecting internal communication from competitors"

Where have you been ? Did you read the part about the "discovery process" ? It's been going on for several years. Because of the anti-trust suit by AMD, both AMD & Intel were required to submit tons of documentation including email. What everyone has already seen is what some of Intel's, Dell's & HP's execs have said. Now we're simply seeing what some of AMD's execs have said. What a shock.

flugelhorn

Distinguished
Oct 22, 2009
Wow. Lots of hurt AMD fan-boys around here.

For those that do not seem to understand,this guy made these statements while he was employed by AMD. The statement was made within an internal memo. Intel did not pay the guy. He was not a disgruntled "ex-employee" as some have said.

Go back an re-read the article a little more carefully and stop taking things so personally just because someone does not like your chip.

mayne92

Distinguished
Nov 6, 2009
[citation][nom]KidHorn[/nom]I don't get why Intel is being prosecuted over the AMD stuff. They paid them $1.25 billion and AMD is satisfied with that. They settled. Why are we wasting tax dollars pursuing this?I've owned both AMD and Intel processors and in general Intel processors are better, but they also cost more. I've had a couple of AMD systems that for whatever reason would not run certain apps. Almost all would run fine. Just a handful that wouldn't.[/citation]
First of all...it might take tax dollars to prosecute but guaranteed when Intel gets fined big-time...that is more money on top for the government. Plus, why not sue Intel for bad business practices that occurred for many many years? Intel needs to be taught a lesson...hence justice to discourage them from doing so again.

AMD processor couldn't run some apps? WTF are you talking about? Maybe your hard drive and RAM sucked.

mayne92

Distinguished
Nov 6, 2009
OMFG...I laugh so hard when people cry about how the author wrote an article! IT'S THE MEDIA...WAKE THE FUCK UP and stop acting like it's the one-stop-shop for your complete fucking news coverage! The media is a bunch of biased articles...get used to it and stop acting so surprised!

At least there are some intellectual people making...intellectual comments...

Majorpain

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2010
I never liked that guy anyay..If you have a family and alot of outgoing bills like me Amd is the choice hands down..only 6 figure salary for Intel

Status
Not open for further replies.