Former AMD Exec: Even I Wouldn't Buy AMD

Page 5 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

hundredislandsboy

Distinguished

Yeah they do. It's so unfair. But one day, I hope AMD puts out flagship 16-core CPU for over $500 or even $750 that smokes Intel's $1,000 CPU. I'm so tired of Intel's monopoly. Like I said, it's so unfair.

Sentinel

Distinguished
Oct 3, 2008
Since just about everything about this dope (Henri Richard)has already been said, I ask first, why wait 5 years to say this, and second if this wasn't coming from Intel would anyone even give this obviosly mentally challenged individual a forum to BLAB !!!!

millerm84

Distinguished
Jan 5, 2009
If every one would put away the fanboism for just a moment and read the statement the context is there and Intel's motive is there.

One this is an INTERNAL COMMUNICATION meaning one exec said to another exec "I wouldn't buy this product". This was not a memo, this was not a press release, but a semi-privet company email. That gives us context he's been asked why sales are down and he's saying if he was Joe consumer and didn't work at AMD he wouldn't buy their product, and that leads us to Intel's motive for introducing this document.

Intel is in court trying to prove that AMD product placement/reputation/advertising had more to do with their struggles (Google the market share numbers before you flame me with who was better BS) then Intel's own back door dealings with Dell, HP, and so on. Intel hopes that this communication proves that AMD's executive officers thought it's own policies were to blame in 2004 and before not Intel who they later sued for those same low profits.

The finial nail in this coffin comes from Cnet Richard stepped down in 2007 and directly blamed Intel for AMD's struggles which runs contrary to his internal communication from 2004. Which in turn hurts AMD's case against Intel (sorta) and makes the story relevant.

Leave your fanboism at the door folks it's just the news.

G

I have been using AMD since 1999, then changed to AMD Athlon 64 on 2004 and I can tell you, it works stable and fine. No matter what I thrown in its face, it handles the job pretty well done.

My friends had all sorts of problem with the Intel. By the way, paying so much more but getting just extra 20% of performance or saving just a few seconds of video encodings versus a little bit slower but MUCH LOWER PRICE? I choose the latter. Because it just ain't worth it after you pay for hundreds and after 4 years zoomed by, you realized how silly you are, and how you can do better with that same amount of money.

G

hey say anything about AMD but I still got one A64 3000+ over-clocked from 1,8ghz to 2,25ghz in my old desktop and I finished Crisis on it. (on medium graphics) I love AMD in desktops but in notebooks I prefer Intel... core 2 duo kick ass in notebooks.

Majorpain

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2010
People who bought a 1156 socket got screwed.They released a 1366 socket right after with there high end chips.Amd remained loyal making there AM3 socket backwards compatible. I truly am excited to see what Amd has up there sleeve for us consumers..

nojah

Distinguished
Jan 1, 2010
[citation][nom]christop[/nom]Former pissed off exec should be the title.. He doesn't say why he would not purchase amd? So there for he has no point..[/citation]

100% agree.

G

[citation][nom]mrmotion[/nom]Hey the P4's werent all bad. My Northwood 2.6 HT was an ass kicker. Its still running today and running very well. It helps to be running linux on it but you get the point.[/citation]

Same here, 6 years on and it's still working as good as ever. If anything those chips were reliable.

gomi

Distinguished
Apr 14, 2009
Way to go Richards, despite being overpaid by AMD you go and backstab them with this comment which Intel is trying to use in their defense.

alpesh

Distinguished
Nov 27, 2007
In the past it was Intel paying OEM's not to use AMD CPU's, Few weeks before we saw Intel paying AMD for canceling legal issues, Now Intel is taking much direct approach. Ha Ha........

G

You can't ever have everybody happy or everyone like you. This is especially the case in companies were employees often seek for recognition of their unique skills and premium human qualities.

Intel anticompetitive practices have forced AMD to layoff several thousands of employees during the last years. It should not have been too hard for Intel to find some not so happy about their former employer. And this guy seems to be embittered to the highest point.

G

Everyone can afford superior Intel chips, only fanbois and misers buy AMD at this point.

Status
Not open for further replies.