Question Fortnite causing PC to crash but other games don't

Status
Not open for further replies.

benjen999

Reputable
Jan 24, 2018
I have recently started playing Fortnite again but after around 30 minutes to an hour of playing, my game will just freeze for about 30 seconds then all my monitors will go black and my PC will eventually restart and boot back into windows. I don’t get any blue screen error and anything else to help me diagnose this issue. I have been monitoring my CPU and GPU temps while playing and neither of them go about around 60 degrees, so I don’t think its an overheating issue. When I am playing other games, for example DayZ or Call of Duty Vanguard this issue doesn’t happen, it only seems to be in Fortnite.

PC Specs
Intel i7 9700K - With no overclock
MSI Z390 Gaming Pro Carbon - BIOS version 7B17v1C2
Corsair Hydro H100i RGB Platinum cooler
32Gb Corsair DDR4 3000Mhz - This is only around 2 months old as my old memory failed
AMD Radeon 6700xt - Driver 22.6.1
Crucial 500Gb M.2 NVME
Corsair RM850 80+ Gold
Windows 10 Pro - Fully updated

I have tried updating and reinstalling all of my drivers on my PC, as well as making sure Windows is 100% up to date. I have also reinstalled the game, but it still crashed.
The only thing I haven’t tried is a complete reinstall of Windows, I thought I post here for any suggestions before trying that.

Colif

Win 11 Master

benjen999

Reputable
Jan 24, 2018
could check the logs to see if they show anything - https://www.epicgames.com/help/en-U...where-can-i-find-the-fortnite-game-logs-a3209 - might not be able to read these.

what events show in event viewer just before the restart? Anything?

if windows crashing with no BSOD, its possible it doesn't know why. Hence its hardware.
could run this to check nvme health: https://www.crucial.com/support/storage-executive

I checked the Fortnite logs I didn't see anything obvious, but then again im not entirely sure what to be looking for.
The only errors in evcent viewer are the ones that say about unexpected shutdown and about the system rebooting without shutting down cleanly first.
I scanned the drive and came back fine with no errors.

benjen999

Reputable
Jan 24, 2018
Any errors showing in reliability history apart from hardware errors on the days it happen?
The system sees the unexpected restarts as hardware errors. I am more interested in others if you have any.

Can take screenshots and upload to an image sharing website and show links here.

these might help - https://www.thewindowsclub.com/fortnite-keeps-crashing-on-windows
Here is a link to the screenshot of event viewer.
I had already tried all the possible fixes in that list before I posted here and the issue is still happening.

Edit: Since posting this reply it crashed again while playing, here is the event viewer stuff.
Also here is a screenshot of the crashes in BlueScreenView

Last edited:

Colif

Win 11 Master
i wasn't expecting BSOD (I guess not many people do)

1. Open Windows File Explore
  2. Navigate to C:\Windows\Minidump
  3. Copy the mini-dump files out onto your Desktop
  4. Do not use Winzip, use the built in facility in Windows
  5. Select those files on your Desktop, right click them and choose 'Send to' - Compressed (zipped) folder
  6. Upload the zip file to the Cloud (OneDrive, DropBox . . . etc.)
  7. Then post a link here to the zip file, so we can take a look for you . . .
I know that code, I think its a WHEA error. Strange only 1 game causes it though.

now WHEA = windows hardware error architecture.
its an error that can be caused by any hardware and sometimes drivers.
It can be caused by heat but yours aren't that bad
can be fixed by updating bios, but you on the latest now.
MSI Z390 Gaming Pro Carbon - BIOS version 7B17v1C2
https://www.msi.com/Motherboard/mpg-z390-gaming-pro-carbon/support

So we need to test all the hardware to see if its okay.
try running this on cpu - https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/download/15951/19792/intel-processor-diagnostic-tool.html?

Try running memtest86 on each of your ram sticks, one stick at a time, up to 4 passes. Only error count you want is 0, any higher could be cause of the BSOD. Remove/replace ram sticks with errors. Memtest is created as a bootable USB so that you don’t need windows to run it

this can check health of ssd, I assume it can check SMART - https://www.crucial.com/support/storage-executive

I didn't suggest GPU as it would be unusual. I mean, it could be cause but I feel you would notice other effects as well. It wouldn't just be one game
I doubt its the AIO for similar reasons as GPU. Not the unit anyway, temps seem about normal.

Do you use any hardware in fortnite you don't use in the other games?
What USB do you have? Just covering all areas, as WHEA can be anything.

benjen999

Reputable
Jan 24, 2018

5. Select those files on your Desktop, right click them and choose 'Send to' - Compressed (zipped) folder
I know that code, I think its a WHEA error. Strange only 1 game causes it though.

try running this on cpu - https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/download/15951/19792/intel-processor-diagnostic-tool.html?

Try running memtest86 on each of your ram sticks, one stick at a time, up to 4 passes. Only error count you want is 0, any higher could be cause of the BSOD. Remove/replace ram sticks with errors. Memtest is created as a bootable USB so that you don’t need windows to run it

this can check health of ssd, I assume it can check SMART - https://www.crucial.com/support/storage-executive

I didn't suggest GPU as it would be unusual. I mean, it could be cause but I feel you would notice other effects as well. It wouldn't just be one game
I doubt its the AIO for similar reasons as GPU. Not the unit anyway, temps seem about normal.

Here is a link to the Mini Dumps.
I ran the CPU tool and it passed the test.
I also ran the SSD tool and the drive passed all the tests.
I am about to test the memory now.

benjen999

Reputable
Jan 24, 2018
Here is a link to the Mini Dumps.
I ran the CPU tool and it passed the test.
I also ran the SSD tool and the drive passed all the tests.
I am about to test the memory now.

I ran the memory test on all the sticks and they all passed with no errors.

gardenman

Splendid
Hi, I ran the dump files through the debugger and got the following information: https://jsfiddle.net/sqhunyg2/show This link is for anyone wanting to help. You do not have to view it. It is safe to "run the fiddle" as the page asks.
File information:070522-10875-01.dmp (Jul 5 2022 - 15:27:51)
Bugcheck:DPC_WATCHDOG_VIOLATION (133)
Driver warnings:*** WARNING: Unable to verify timestamp for amdkmdag.sys
Probably caused by:memory_corruption (Process running at time of crash: System)
Uptime:0 Day(s), 2 Hour(s), 16 Min(s), and 36 Sec(s)

File information:070422-7296-01.dmp (Jul 4 2022 - 15:51:33)
Driver warnings:*** WARNING: Unable to verify timestamp for amdkmdag.sys
Uptime:0 Day(s), 3 Hour(s), 14 Min(s), and 21 Sec(s)

File information:070322-8015-01.dmp (Jul 3 2022 - 15:02:21)
Driver warnings:*** WARNING: Unable to verify timestamp for e1d68x64.sys
Uptime:0 Day(s), 0 Hour(s), 30 Min(s), and 34 Sec(s)

File information:062822-9281-01.dmp (Jun 28 2022 - 15:29:13)
Probably caused by:memory_corruption (Process running at time of crash: audiodg.exe)
Uptime:0 Day(s), 2 Hour(s), 50 Min(s), and 59 Sec(s)

File information:062722-7312-01.dmp (Jun 27 2022 - 15:46:08)
Uptime:0 Day(s), 3 Hour(s), 00 Min(s), and 28 Sec(s)
Comment: 2 or more types of RAM are installed.

Comment: The overclocking driver "NTIOLib_X64.sys" was found on your system. (MSI Afterburner or other MSI software)

Possible Motherboard page: https://www.msi.com/Motherboard/mpg-z390-gaming-pro-carbon/
You are using the latest BETA version of the BIOS.

This information can be used by others to help you. Someone else will post with more information. Please wait for additional answers. Good luck.

Colif

Win 11 Master
The last 2 caused were by AMD gpu drivers
Jun 22 2022amdkmdag.sysAMD Graphics driver
I see you have latest drivers now
Try running DDU in safe mode and once back in windows, reinstall either
newest drivers from AMD again
or Run windows update and let it find slightly older AMD drivers to use
3rd BSOD caused by
Feb 10 2021e1d68x64.sysIntel(R) Gigabit Adapter driver
try running this and see if it offers a newer driver
https://www.intel.com.au/content/www/au/en/support/intel-driver-support-assistant.html
4th BSOD. victim was audiodg which is a Microsoft driver that talks to audio drivers
what audio do you use? what USB audio devices do you have? 5th crash mentions usbaudio in crash logs.

benjen999

Reputable
Jan 24, 2018
The last 2 caused were by AMD gpu drivers
Jun 22 2022amdkmdag.sysAMD Graphics driver
I see you have latest drivers now
Try running DDU in safe mode and once back in windows, reinstall either
newest drivers from AMD again
or Run windows update and let it find slightly older AMD drivers to use
3rd BSOD caused by
Feb 10 2021e1d68x64.sysIntel(R) Gigabit Adapter driver
try running this and see if it offers a newer driver
https://www.intel.com.au/content/www/au/en/support/intel-driver-support-assistant.html
4th BSOD. victim was audiodg which is a Microsoft driver that talks to audio drivers
what audio do you use? what USB audio devices do you have? 5th crash mentions usbaudio in crash logs.
I ran DDU in safe mode, and amd currently running on the driver that Windows updates installed.
I ran that Intel tool and there where no updates needed.
The only USB audio device I have connected is my headset which is a Corsair HS60.

Cyberat_88

Distinguished
Since all other games run fine, it is rare that drivers are not working with just 1 game (but not impossible).
Most likely you need to personalize/customize driver settings for this game.
Also, latest driver is not most compatible for gaming, especially if you install the Betas.

Colif

Win 11 Master
The only USB audio device I have connected is my headset which is a Corsair HS60.
do you have newest version of Icue?
have to assume its this
Mar 01 2022CorsairGamingAudio64.sysCorsair Gaming Audio 64-bit driver
it seems odd you getting same error code against different drivers
might want to run memtest on ram even though they are new sticks.

wondering about CPU as well, just to be sure: https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/download/15951/19792/intel-processor-diagnostic-tool.html?

benjen999

Reputable
Jan 24, 2018
do you have newest version of Icue?
have to assume its this
Mar 01 2022CorsairGamingAudio64.sysCorsair Gaming Audio 64-bit driver
it seems odd you getting same error code against different drivers
might want to run memtest on ram even though they are new sticks.

wondering about CPU as well, just to be sure: https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/download/15951/19792/intel-processor-diagnostic-tool.html?
I redownloaded Icue after I ran DDU in safemode becuse it removed it, so I am running the newest version.
I have already ran the memtest86 and that CPU test and all the memory and my CPU came back fine.

Colif

Win 11 Master
share any more dumps you get.

strange ddu removed icue, it shouldn't. Corsair don't make any gpu

seems odd 3 different drivers caused same BSOD code.

But so far i checked ram, cpu & storage. So if its corruption, its not hiding in any of the obvious spots. It can't corruption really... but same error... dpc watchdog violations.

try this
right click start button

choose powershell (admin)

copy/paste this command into window:

Repair-WindowsImage -Online -RestoreHealth

and press enter

Then type SFC /scannow

and press enter

Restart PC if SFC fixes any files as some fixes require a restart to be implemented

First command repairs the files SFC uses to clean files, and SFC fixes system files

SFC = System File Checker. First command runs DISM - https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-hardware/manufacture/desktop/what-is-dism?view=windows-11

dpc = deferred procedural call. When the CPU is running a process and is interrupted, it creates a DPC so that once its completed the action that caused the interrupt, it can return back to where it was.
It could be its being given wrong instructions each time... but why would 3 different drivers do it?

I wonder if its the anti cheat.

@johnbl any ideas?

Last edited:
not sure of the changes made so I just looked at the last bugcheck:
dated july 5

looks like a gpu issue but the timeout value indicates a USB problem.
so I would download autoruns64.exe from here:
Autoruns for Windows - Windows Sysinternals | Microsoft Docs
find the menu option to hide microsoft entries and select it.
Then
delete:
C:\ProgramData\MSI\Super_Charger\ipadtst2_64.sys Tue Jan 12 00:56:50 2021
and
\SystemRoot\System32\drivers\AppleLowerFilter.sys Fri Oct 2 16:51:12 2020
(one of these two are likely causes of this bugcheck)
I would not charge the ipad via the usb ports on a pc.
-----------

I would also delete these driver:
\SystemRoot\system32\DRIVERS\cfosspeed6.sys Mon Jan 4 09:05:32 2021 (not needed, can cause problems)
\C:\Windows\temp\cpuz153\cpuz153_x64.sys Mon Nov 22 02:24:45 2021 (you already have a newer copy)

in addition I would go into windows control panel device manager, find the menu item to show hidden devices and enable it.
Then delete any greyed out entries. Then find each usb hub and right mouse click to bring up properties, and find the tab for power management and tell windows not to turn off power to the hubs to save power.

(delete all three of these, you can reinstall one of them after you get your system stable if you want)
NTIOLib_X64 \??\C:\Program Files (x86)\MSI\MSI Center\Super Charger\NTIOLib_X64.sys Sun Jul 9 19:11:47 2017
NTIOLib_X64_fffff80062e20000 \??\C:\Program Files (x86)\MSI\MSI Center\Mystic Light\Lib\NTIOLib_X64.sys Sun Jul 9 19:13:57 2017
NTIOLib_X64_fffff80062e30000 \??\C:\Program Files (x86)\MSI\MSI Center\Lib\SYS\NTIOLib_X64.sys Tue Mar 16 03:15:14 2021 (60508532)
(the address added to the driver name indicates that the driver collided with a address from a previously loaded driver. The loaded uses a alternative address and changes the name to indicated the problem. The installer should remove the old driver before installing a new one)

you should run the intel driver update utility:
Intel® Driver & Support Assistant

go to your motherboard vendors website:
https://www.msi.com/Motherboard/MPG-Z390-GAMING-PRO-CARBON/support#driver
and updtate the onboard autio driver:
\SystemRoot\system32\drivers\RTKVHD64.sys Tue Nov 24 02:22:56 2020
new version is dated in 2022. Older versions of this motherboard sound driver could crash gpu drivers, and usb sound drivers.
(fix was sometime in 2020 think but update to 2022 version to be sure)

you should also look to update the other ones if the intel driver assistant does not find a update.
make sure you have run the "other driver" Intel Management Engine Driver
(it makes updates to the intel security processor)

these core window files have had their checksums removed:
SystemRoot\System32\win32k.sys unavailable (00000000)
SystemRoot\System32\win32kbase.sys unavailable (00000000)
SystemRoot\System32\win32kfull.sys unavailable (00000000)

you should look in task scheduler for some program that runs and modifies these core windows files.
I would run cmd.exe as an admin and run:
dism.exe /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth
it will fix the image on the disk but most likely the files are being modified after they are loaded.

Delete all of the old memory dumps and provide any new ones after you make the above changes.
last you need to change the memory dump type to kernel and if you bugcheck again you would need to provide the kernel memory dump file:
c:\windows\memory.dmp

7: kd> !sysinfo machineid
Machine ID Information [From Smbios 2.8, DMIVersion 0, Size=4852]
BiosMajorRelease = 5
BiosMinorRelease = 13
BiosVendor = American Megatrends Inc.
BiosVersion = 1.C2
BiosReleaseDate = 11/15/2021
SystemManufacturer = Micro-Star International Co., Ltd.
SystemProductName = MS-7B17
SystemFamily = Default string
SystemVersion = 1.0
SystemSKU = Default string
BaseBoardManufacturer = Micro-Star International Co., Ltd.
BaseBoardProduct = MPG Z390 GAMING PRO CARBON (MS-7B17)
BaseBoardVersion = 1.0

7: kd> !sysinfo cpuinfo
[CPU Information]
~MHz = REG_DWORD 3600
Component Information = REG_BINARY 0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0
Configuration Data = REG_FULL_RESOURCE_DESCRIPTOR ff,ff,ff,ff,ff,ff,ff,ff,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0
Identifier = REG_SZ Intel64 Family 6 Model 158 Stepping 13
ProcessorNameString = REG_SZ Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-9700K CPU @ 3.60GHz
Update Status = REG_DWORD 2
VendorIdentifier = REG_SZ GenuineIntel
MSR8B = REG_QWORD ea00000000

-----

Last edited:
Reactions: Colif
Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS