[SOLVED] Found a guy on Face Book ( a friend of a friend ) sort of thing that has a i7 4790K

Feb 21, 2019
For $150 and maybe I might buy the MOBO along with it for only $70 BUT the CPU for sure . The mobo is not a good over clocker mobo so I'm REALLY hoping hes on the level with me . He also had it with a 120mm aio so there's that . My Know it all house mate has the same CPU she bought new last year and says it's probably a scam . I on the other hand think she's envious . lol
ALSO would said CPU be as fast or faster than a Ryzen 7 2700X that I also have in a new gaming rig .
Feedback or advise is welcome ...TROLLS are not . lol
I also have a question about the socket mother boards for 1150 to 1151 . My roommate had a i5 3430 which I understand is a 1150 socket ? BUT she was running it on a 1151 mother board . HOW is that possible unless she isn't telling me the truth OR is dumber that I thought she was . I'm not an expert by far but is that even possible ?

I want to thank all of you for the input .
UPDATE I understand how AMD went into a slump before the 4790K was released to retail sales . My biggest concern was IF the 4790K and mobo the guy said he would sell me for $170 was a good deal because of the age of it . If the mobo is not good for overclocking I would try to squeak out a bit more from it still . He also has a Corsair 240mm aio he would let go for $60 that I might also add to it for the overclock . That said I would possibly swap cases with the new gaming rig to add the 4790K and use the RTX 2070 from the 2700X build with the 4790K overclocked . I'm sure the 2700X would be fine matched with a 2060 .
On a different note … I'm still trying to wrap my head around WHY would my house mate/landlord would buy a NEW 4790K at full price($500+) when for $500+ when for gaming she could have gotten a 8700K (much newer technology ) for $370 . It just makes no sense to me . lol OH btw she also told me she is a computer tech and ALSO told me to NEVER use a blow dryer to dry any parts from cleaning because the magnets in the electric motor would create a magnetic field on the parts rendering it unusable ( her words ) lmao HA HA HA . She also when building the SAME PC she installed a 1150 socket chip on a 1151 socketed mobo had trouble getting it to boot and didn't understand why . Till she mentioned it to me and after asking 20 questions I told her the 300wat PSU she was trying to use was not enough . she got a 500wat and it works . lol I'm 58 years old and SHE'S 25 . I have installed many electronic and electrical parts and wires with no problems as long as you take measures to defuse any static that might be caused . lol
Thought you guys might get a kick out of that .
Again I thank you all for any knowledge/input you have for me being a Novice I STILL have questions at times about things that I will admit I'm no expert at . I thank you ALL .

Last edited:
Solution
IF this system is for YOU, and you already have a 2700x, then the 4790k makes no sense unless it is merely going to be a secondary or backup system. If it is for somebody else, it makes no sense for you to use your own hardware in it from the other build. Seems like some of the details have changed between the first post and the last one, so I'm disinclined to make further suggestions or recommendations because I'm not certain that the advice is sound without knowing the EXACT details about what is going on and what you are intending to do. I would not swap the 2700x for the 4790k, unless you are only running one or few programs and you KNOW FOR SURE that they run better with a single strong core than they do with many fairly decent...
Feb 21, 2019
As for the mother board running a 1151 with a 1150 it will work but it’s not a good idea the motherboards warranty won’t cover something like that and for your CPUs your Ryzen cpu does benchmark higher then the i7 so if I was to have the option I would keep the ryzen

For $150 and maybe I might buy the MOBO along with it for only $70 BUT the CPU for sure . The mobo is not a good over clocker mobo so I'm REALLY hoping hes on the level with me . He also had it with a 120mm aio so there's that . My Know it all house mate has the same CPU she bought new last year and says it's probably a scam . I on the other hand think she's envious . lol
ALSO would said CPU be as fast or faster than a Ryzen 7 2700X that I also have in a new gaming rig .
I also have a question about the socket mother boards for 1150 to 1151 . My roommate had a i5 3430 which I understand is a 1150 socket ? BUT she was running it on a 1151 mother board . HOW is that possible unless she isn't telling me the truth OR is dumber that I thought she was . I'm not an expert by far but is that even possible ?

The only way an i7 4790k would beat a Ryzen 7 2700x would be if the 4790k was overclocked and the 2700x was not. Any other way and the 4790k would NOT be more powerful.

You really need to list the complete specifications of all the items you are asking about. Motherboard make and model, cpu make and model, etc....

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: aYeti8it
Feb 21, 2019
The only way an i7 4790k would be a Ryzen 7 2700x would be if the 4790k was overclocked and the 2700x was not. Any other way and the 4790k would NOT be more powerful.

You really need to list the complete specifications of all the items you are asking about. Motherboard make and model, cpu make and model, etc....
Pieces separate:
4790k - $150
Motherboard: $70
Watercooler: $60
RAM: sold
Corsair case: $100
NZXT case: $20
Gtx 1070: $250
is all I know except the mobo is a B 360 if I remember correctly . I mainly want the Chip not so much the mobo right now . I plan to pair it up with a different board later .

Feb 21, 2019
As for the mother board running a 1151 with a 1150 it will work but it’s not a good idea the motherboards warranty won’t cover something like that and for your CPUs your Ryzen cpu does benchmark higher then the i7 so if I was to have the option I would keep the ryzen
Thank you much for a rapid reply . I plan to use the I 7 4790K in a build I have planned in the not too distant future . I cant believe my roommate paired her new 4790 with a RTX 2080 . lol talk about a bottleneck . LOL

Pieces separate:
4790k - $150
Motherboard: $70
Watercooler: $60
RAM: sold
Corsair case: $100
NZXT case: $20
Gtx 1070: $250
is all I know except the mobo is a B 360 if I remember correctly . I mainly want the Chip not so much the mobo right now . I plan to pair it up with a different board later .

TBH...that processor is an older model...now 5 generations old, released in Early 2014. For that price you could get a more updated processor that is brand new. And, if you are looking to pair it with a different board later, this would be definitely the time to move to a better processor. Just my opnion tho....

Feb 21, 2019
TBH...that processor is an older model...now 5 generations old, released in Early 2014. For that price you could get a more updated processor that is brand new. And, if you are looking to pair it with a different board later, this would be definitely the time to move to a better processor. Just my opnion tho....
WOW this guy must need $$ because just b4 I got home from work this morning he txt me and said he would take $170 for both CPU& mobo . You're in put is appreciated very much . I cant understand why my Know it all house mate/landlord would buy the same CPU new and NOT overclock it yet STILL pair it with a RTX 2080 . Just makes no sense to me . IF I did get it I would pair it with a good board for overclocking and put an aio on it . But you make a very good point about the age of the cpu . I may have to sit back and reflect on it . ALL the same CPU's on line that are used are $200 or more so yes I will think hard about what you said . Thanx so much for the input .

Rogue Leader

It's a trap!

On what planet? Let me iterate very clearly DO NOT EVER PUT AN 1150 CPU IN AN 1151 MOTHERBOARD OR VICE VERSA, YOU WILL DESTROY THE SOCKET. If you don't know what you are talking about please refrain from dispensing such dangerous advice.

Thank you much for a rapid reply . I plan to use the I 7 4790K in a build I have planned in the not too distant future . I cant believe my roommate paired her new 4790 with a RTX 2080 . lol talk about a bottleneck . LOL

Um... The 4790 is still a very viable CPU, while it does handicap the 2080 somewhat its hardly a massive bottleneck.

That said with the prices of hardware these days, I wouldn't build off of one. Not when getting a good motherboard will be tough to do. They have been out of production for a while. You may have a hard time finding "a good overclocking board" and you certainly will have a hard time and overpay getting one new. For the $150 he wants for the CPU you can spend $20 more and get a Ryzen 5 2600 and have a newer better platform, more cores, and not have to hunt the planet for a good board.

No it will not work. 1151 mobo needs an 1151 CPU, 1150 mobo needs an 1150 CPU. You cannot mix.

The only way an i7 4790k would beat a Ryzen 7 2700x would be if the 4790k was overclocked and the 2700x was not.

Totally not true. There are STILL TO THIS DAY a heck of a lot of applications and games out there that are not well optimized for multicore processing. Many. There are still a good number of premier AAA games that are very popular that perform much better with one or two strong cores than they do with 8 weaker ones, which means even a five year old Haswell CPU, especially an i7 with 4/4 will outperform a 2700x on anything that can't leverage those extra physical cores and hyperthreads on the Ryzen to good effect. And even for games that CAN use up to four cores and four hyperthreads, UNLESS they see some benefit from additional cores or hyperthreads BEYOND that, the Haswell/Refresh generation will still outperform those Ryzen SKUs because it has better IPC and single core performance despite being five years old.

And that's WITHOUT overclocking anything. If you overclock the Haswell SKU, and we know those are much better overclockers than any of the Ryzen products so there isn't much way to close the gap going the OTHER way, then the performance gap will only increase.

https://www.cpubenchmark.net/compare/Intel-i7-4790K-vs-AMD-Ryzen-7-2700X/2275vs3238

Haswell and newer Intel i7 processors, especially those from the last two generations, but even some of those older ones, are highly unlikely to "bottleneck" any graphics card at all, or at least not to any significant degree.

Also, as mentioned, you can't use a CPU in a socket that it wasn't designed for. 1150 with 1150 board, etc. There are some exceptions, but those require engineering level understanding of the board and special modifications that even a fairly advanced power user or systems builder would never attempt.

Last edited:
Totally not true. There are STILL TO THIS DAY a heck of a lot of applications and games out there that are not well optimized for multicore processing. Many. There are still a good number of premier AAA games that are very popular that perform much better with one or two strong cores than they do with 8 weaker ones, which means even a five year old Haswell CPU, especially an i7 with 4/4 will outperform a 2700x on anything that can't leverage those extra physical cores and hyperthreads on the Ryzen to good effect. And even for games that CAN use up to four cores and four hyperthreads, UNLESS they see some benefit from additional cores or hyperthreads BEYOND that, the Haswell/Refresh generation will still outperform those Ryzen SKUs because it has better IPC and single core performance despite being five years old.

And that's WITHOUT overclocking anything. If you overclock the Haswell SKU, and we know those are much better overclockers than any of the Ryzen products so there isn't much way to close the gap going the OTHER way, then the performance gap will only increase.

https://www.cpubenchmark.net/compare/Intel-i7-4790K-vs-AMD-Ryzen-7-2700X/2275vs3238

I stand corrected on the overclocking statement, to the point that yes, an I7 4790k still has single core IPC on the 2700x. However, for multi-core, the Ryzen is still a better alternative.

However, the true point remains. You still don't address the issue of finding new hardware to match with said i7 4790k or the continued life expectancy of that processor or other hardware. That has to be considered, especially when the OP stated he will be matching the CPU up with another board later on. And he stated he will be overclocking it. We are also talking about doing all of this on a budget.

Sure, there are a lot of programs and games that still use 4 core or less, but those are becoming a thing of the past. The future is multi-core processing. And we do have to take into account future proofing if we are recommending something for him.

Like Rogue Leader had said...

That said with the prices of hardware these days, I wouldn't build off of one. Not when getting a good motherboard will be tough to do. They have been out of production for a while. You may have a hard time finding "a good overclocking board" and you certainly will have a hard time and overpay getting one new. For the $150 he wants for the CPU you can spend $20 more and get a Ryzen 5 2600 and have a newer better platform, more cores, and not have to hunt the planet for a good board.

He makes a very good supporting argument for a new processor.

So by keeping the I7 4790k, he has to stay with DDR-3, and the limitations that the old motherboards of that generation have. The other option is to buy the new processor, new RAM, new motherboard, and not have to worry about bottlenecking anything. He has to worry about the life span of using an older processor/motherboard/RAM combo, when he could just use the new processor and get the future proofing it will have.

That depends, greatly, on what country they are in. There are plenty of regions where the cost of hardware, used, is a LOT less expensive than even entry level components of advisable performance and quality new. I realize the OP posted amounts in dollars, but a lot of members do this even though they may not be in a country where dollars are relevant, and they just offer equivalent exchanges, because they know the bulk of the forum is US based.

There are likely benefits to both options, depending on what you can get the used hardware for and whether it's actually still in worthwhile condition and hasn't been ridden hard. However, my point was not in regard to the worthiness of the 4790k vs a newer platform in terms of financial investment or long term usability, simply that it is not outperformed in the way that many people believe it is, by these Ryzen SKUs. They are still very competitive. Few game engines, plus the OS and background processes, are going to use more than 8 threads total. For those that clearly do, absolutely Ryzen is a better option and absolutely it has a longer usability period than a five year old platform. But for the right price, a 4790k would still be a good investment, especially if you lived somewhere where the Ryzen option, really isn't an option.

Cioby

Distinguished

First of all, wow so much drama, <Mod edit - Let's keep the insults out of replies, they are unnecessary>
Secondly the 4790k is great, the only reason I upgraded my 4770k which is weaker, was that I had issues maybe with the motherboard. And as someone already stated, it's hard to get a replacement or upgrade for the motherboard. I assume the guy, just like me, just wants to get rid of it otherwise he would use it for a second PC. The CPU is a beast and at 1080p and 1440p BEATS THE RYZEN no problem, with a small OC it will do even more, mine was +500 Mhz OC for 7 years.
Third the 2080 won't be bottlenecked that hard, since a Ryzen is worse and we don't call it "bottleneck", plus if playing at 4k, which the 2080 kinda allows in most titles, at Ultra settings 60 fps, the difference between a 4790k and 9700k or Ryzen 2700x is basically only the core/thread count and nothing else. They will all be within 1-2 fps difference.
The guy is selling cheaper than I would sell mine, plus I got 16 GB of RAM that are super good and alone cost 130 euro. I can't find a half decent motherboard to buy to keep the system viable. So it seems kind of a scam or overused almost dying system, if you're lucky it's just the motherboard and you can still use the amazing CPU. Note that the processor could OC at 5 Ghz if it's not a flawed or overused one.

Last edited by a moderator:
That depends, greatly, on what country they are in. There are plenty of regions where the cost of hardware, used, is a LOT less expensive than even entry level components of advisable performance and quality new. I realize the OP posted amounts in dollars, but a lot of members do this even though they may not be in a country where dollars are relevant, and they just offer equivalent exchanges, because they know the bulk of the forum is US based.

There are likely benefits to both options, depending on what you can get the used hardware for and whether it's actually still in worthwhile condition and hasn't been ridden hard. However, my point was not in regard to the worthiness of the 4790k vs a newer platform in terms of financial investment or long term usability, simply that it is not outperformed in the way that many people believe it is, by these Ryzen SKUs. They are still very competitive. Few game engines, plus the OS and background processes, are going to use more than 8 threads total. For those that clearly do, absolutely Ryzen is a better option and absolutely it has a longer usability period than a five year old platform. But for the right price, a 4790k would still be a good investment, especially if you lived somewhere where the Ryzen option, really isn't an option.

The OP has a Ryzen 7 2700x working right now. He even stated it in first post. So, it would be pretty safe to say that he can get most any Ryzen available. At this point in the thread, he would have stated otherwise.

So the option of choosing a Ryzen setup is still just as valid as keeping the I7. It really does matter what programs he will be using.

I have lots of hardware in any of several different machines. That has no bearing on any hardware questions I might have concerning an entirely different machine, so I don't guess I understand what your point is about that. He didn't make any mention of combining the two OR NOT getting the 4790k just because he has the other system, so it's entirely irrelevant what he has elsewhere if that hardware is not intended for use in THIS machine he is looking to build.

Just because I have a beefed up, built engine in one vehicle doesn't mean I intend to use it in another vehicle lacking an engine.

Feb 21, 2019
If the mobo is not good for over clocking I would try to squeak out a bit more from it . He also has a Corsair 240mm aio he would let go for $60 that I might also add to it for the overclock .
That said I would possibly swap cases with the new gaming rig to add the 4790K and use the RTX 2070 from the 2700X build with the 4790K overclocked . I'm sure the 2700X would be fine matched with a 2060 .
On a different note … I'm still trying to wrap my head around WHY would my house mate/landlord buy a NEW 4790K at full price when for $500+ when for gaming she could have gotten a 8700K (much newer technology ) for $370 . It just makes no sense to me . lol OH btw she also told me she is a computer tech and ALSO told me to NEVER use a blow dryer to dry any parts from cleaning because the magnets in the electric motor would create a magnetic field on the parts rendering it unusable lmao HA HA HA . She also when building the SAME PC she installed a 1150 socket chip on a 1151 socketed mobo had trouble getting it to boot and didn't understand why . Till she mentioned it to me and after asking 20 questions I told her the 300wat PSU she was trying to use was not enough . she got a 500wat and it works . lol I'm 58 years old and SHE'S 25 . I have installed many electronic and electrical parts and wires with no problems as long as you take measures to defuse any static that might be cause . lol
Thought you guys might get a kick out of that .
Again I thank you all for any knowledge/input you have for me being a Novice I STILL have questions at times about things that I will admit I'm no expert at . I thank you ALL .

IF this system is for YOU, and you already have a 2700x, then the 4790k makes no sense unless it is merely going to be a secondary or backup system. If it is for somebody else, it makes no sense for you to use your own hardware in it from the other build. Seems like some of the details have changed between the first post and the last one, so I'm disinclined to make further suggestions or recommendations because I'm not certain that the advice is sound without knowing the EXACT details about what is going on and what you are intending to do. I would not swap the 2700x for the 4790k, unless you are only running one or few programs and you KNOW FOR SURE that they run better with a single strong core than they do with many fairly decent cores.

Probably, not even then, since you already have the 2700x. Better would be to wait and maybe swap that out for a Zen2 CPU in a couple of months.

Solution

Rogue Leader

It's a trap!
.....She also when building the SAME PC she installed a 1150 socket chip on a 1151 socketed mobo had trouble getting it to boot and didn't understand why . Till she mentioned it to me and after asking 20 questions I told her the 300wat PSU she was trying to use was not enough . she got a 500wat and it works . ....

It doesn't work. There is no way in the world a 1150 processor will work in an 1151 board. If whatever she built works, it was an 1150 motherboard to begin with. If she stuffed a 1150 CPU into an 1151 board not only will it not work, it could fry the board.