Four GeForce 9600 GT Cards Compared

Status
Not open for further replies.

jaragon13

Distinguished
Jun 30, 2008
What about the HD 4850? It costs less than the "last 8800 GTS 512's"
Asus sells them for what? 170 dollars,free shipping on Newegg?
Maybe I even saw one @ 160...

Sus-penders

Distinguished
Jan 18, 2008
Why would anyone get an 8800GTS for $179 when you can buy a better performing HD 4850, for LESS money??? ATI still exists, you know...

Ryun

Distinguished
Oct 26, 2006
No offense, as the article and tests run were good (I especially like the overall FPS charts), but this information would have been more pertinent, like, 6 months ago.

Niva

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2006
Uh, I don't get what the people about are upset for. It's a good article, I enjoyed reading and seeing where these cards fit into the scheme of things. I know ATI has made a comeback with their recent cards but until their drivers are completely open and stable I'll stick with nVidia myself so I especially enjoyed this article. Thanks Toms!

L1qu1d

Splendid
Sep 29, 2007
Waste of 3 mins, it makes very little sense, the 9600 GTs in sli are around the 280 GTX in performance, yet it manages to get destroyed by the 4870.

This article would've meant something around the time the cards came out...now I'd much rather like to see the 4850 cards compared or 260s or w.e else that is this gen.

MooseMuffin

Distinguished
Oct 31, 2006
[citation][nom]Niva[/nom]Uh, I don't get what the people about are upset for. It's a good article, I enjoyed reading and seeing where these cards fit into the scheme of things. I know ATI has made a comeback with their recent cards but until their drivers are completely open and stable I'll stick with nVidia myself so I especially enjoyed this article. Thanks Toms![/citation]

Exactly what is open about nvidia's drivers?

warezme

Distinguished
Dec 18, 2006
warms my heart to see the old 8800GTX included in this test list.

It's amazing this ancient cards at default speed still sit in the middle of the pack and quickly rise to the top when you turn up AA and texture quality up, beating most every other card cept for 260GTX and SLI and CF rigs.

It also explains why a pair of old 8800GTX's in SLI OC'ed to at least Ultra speeds on a fast rig are still very hard to out perform by any single card (period)

G

There is a reason to get the 9600GT over the 8800GT, power consumption. Look at the numbers, the 9600GT has 1/2 the number of shaders (hence a smaller die). I know the shader clock runs a little faster but a good quality stock PSU with 300W (real, like antec, corsair, etc) should be fine for running it.

bf2gameplaya

Distinguished
Mar 19, 2008
The 8800GTS/512 is still a top performer...not bad for a "two" generations old card, if you believe the marketing.

I am a loyal Nvidia customer and I wont touch the GTX280. I am patiently waiting for the GeForce 11 series.

sgmeridian

Distinguished
Aug 13, 2008
Why doesn't Tom's use the 9800GTX+ in these benchmarks? All we ever see are scores for the slower, now defunct 9800GTX.

computerninja7823

Distinguished
Sep 26, 2008
hey pepelan what kind MANURFACTURING problems are their!??!! I have a old geforce 2 gts and it has worked every day...day in and day out for ever. And I also have a geforce 4200ti same thing. last time i checked nvidia did'nt make hardware. so dont say nvidia makes bad "HARDWARE" cause they dont. i have 2 8800gt's and theve worked flawlessly! my friend buys ati cards and they suck hard...he's bought like 5 of them then bought a nvidia card and no problems after that! this is a great article

njalterio

Distinguished
Jan 14, 2008
Computerningja, you are such a tool. Nvidia does make hardware: It's called a graphics card you dunce. Don't believe me? Check this out:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Computer_hardware

Right there on the list of types of hardware are video cards. I will agree, Nvidia DOES NOT have any glaring manufacturing flaws, but neither does ATI as you suggest through your friends experience. So he bought five ATI cards and none worked? Please. And no, this is not a great article. Why would I care about the negligible performance difference between four different brands of the same old card? This would only have been helpful six months ago.

ravenware

Distinguished
May 17, 2005
[citation][nom]Niva[/nom]Uh, I don't get what the people about are upset for. It's a good article, I enjoyed reading and seeing where these cards fit into the scheme of things. I know ATI has made a comeback with their recent cards but until their drivers are completely open and stable I'll stick with nVidia myself so I especially enjoyed this article. Thanks Toms![/citation]

I ran an ATI Radeon 9800XT for 3 years and never had problems with their driver suite. I had a much more enjoyable experience with the ATI card than my current 7800GT card.

And yes I would buy the 4850 over the 9600GT, 8800GT and 8800GTS.

zbranigan

Distinguished
Sep 26, 2008
Bought a 9600GT from NewEgg for $99 bucks with free shipping. I had trouble finding solid benchmark comparisons. Here they are. I was beginning to doubt my purchase. Tried Assassins Creed on my 8600GT this card is much better. Tried Crysis, but that game is only good to make you kick yourself for any card purchase. Thanks Tom.

Chuck Norris

Distinguished
Jun 26, 2008
Thanks for the article, I appreciate all of the testing. I would have liked to have seen the 4670 included as well, though, considering it's the direct parallel to the 9600GT for price.

TheFace

Distinguished
Jul 25, 2008
I would like to say I appreciate throwing the 3850 256mb in there. Got mine after they just came out when it was impossible to find a 3870 anywhere..for weeks... I appreciate it because I know exactly how far behind my graphics solution is. Just upgraded cpu, mobo, and RAM. HDD, and Vid card soon to follow.

G

Long Live ATI HD48** Series :D and this article is outdated! Why didn't you review Geforce MX? Boring Toms, Really, I Mean it!

oh, and why fight? we just want better hardwares for lesser money... calm down buddies...

jaragon13

Distinguished
Jun 30, 2008
[citation][nom]zbranigan[/nom]Bought a 9600GT from NewEgg for $99 bucks with free shipping. I had trouble finding solid benchmark comparisons. Here they are. I was beginning to doubt my purchase. Tried Assassins Creed on my 8600GT this card is much better. Tried Crysis, but that game is only good to make you kick yourself for any card purchase. Thanks Tom.[/citation]
Crysis(warhead) isn't a beautiful game? I thought my 2600XT(a century old,BTW)could run it great....Sure,not on high,but maybe you guys can forget that for what FPS it puts out,it's a very stunning game compared to the same FPS I could get from other games such as Call of Duty 4 or Battlefield 2(has very poor quality animations,for example)

zbranigan

Distinguished
Sep 26, 2008
jaragon13, you missed my point. I was trying to say that Crysis can bring any card to itz knees. Not that Crysis is an ugly game. I must admit I have yet to play Warhead. If EA is confident using it to sell $600 PC's then it must scale pretty well. Not to mention that a major game publisher is in touch with the cheaper side of PC gaming.

randomizer

Champion
Wow, first you complain that they don't use cat 8.8, then when cat 8.8 is included you complain again? Amazing, do you really know what you want? I also find it funny because cat 8.8 made only a small performance difference, not the drastic improvements you were claiming earlier.

Status
Not open for further replies.