Four More Closed-Loop Liquid Coolers Take On The NH-D14

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

corvak

Honorable
Jan 31, 2013
[citation][nom]ojas[/nom]I also think that the small CPU heatsink allows more air to blow over the mobo, or at least doesn't disrupt airflow as much as a tower cooler, plus reduces one or more case exhaust fans AND the CPU cooler fan (lower power, lower noise).[/citation]

This. I also dont like the thought of a giant monster cooler hanging off the board....especially right over my GPU. Paranoid, I guess. (though a leak is probably just as unlikely as the mounting bracket failing, to be fair.)

It sends the CPU heat right out of the case, leaving the case fans to exhaust heat from the GPU.

JonnyDough

Distinguished
Feb 24, 2007
[citation][nom]Mac_McMan[/nom]LGA 1156 coolers fit LGA 1155. LGA 1366 coolers fit LGA 2011. I think you're overthinking this, but the price is a little steep. I'd probably go with a nice, oversized, mid-weight air cooler such as the $50 (name your Scythe) if I was buying today.[/citation]

There are quite a few on NewEgg that work with most sockets in the $20-30 range. The performance increase for the cost just isn't justifiable regardless. Now if there was a way to adjust the cooler to future sockets more easily then sure, but most of the time I'm going to sell my old rig in its entirety and build a new system altogether anyway.

kettu

Distinguished
May 28, 2009
[citation][nom]Crashman[/nom]ALL PRODUCTS SHOULD BE TESTED IN THE SAME WAY.[/citation]

Er, why? Shouldn't they be tested in the way they are intended to be used by the purchaser? And you'd just report any downsides and peculiarities to their arrangements.

[citation]In fact, the other case option was Fractal Design's Define R4, which holds a dual-fan radiator in front. But using it would have given an unfair advantage to dual-fan radiators.[/citation]

Not taking advantage of the whole potential of a product does not make things any fairer.

mapesdhs

Distinguished

a) Whoop de doo, 1 degree difference. Other sites show it the other way round, but more importantly...

b) The Phanteks was only tested with 2 fans. I use mine with 3.

c) As mentioned, it's cheaper than the D14. As such, even with 2 fans, it's a very valid alternative.

Ian.

serendipiti

Distinguished
Aug 9, 2010
Probably at this level liquid cooling has little to offer over air cooling. You probably need to cool more than one CPU to get any gain from going to water.

I guess liquid cooling makes sense if:

Extreme overclocking, Crossfire/SLI and 24/7: if not only CPU gets cooled, but also graphics cards the noise will be better on liquid cooling.
Also, if you can take away as far as you can the radiator, you can effectively reduce noise.
But this scenario is far from the usual gaming environment.

realibrad

Distinguished
Mar 29, 2007
@ mapesdhs
I think Crashman was jokeing, by posting a like to a review of that cooler. You had asked for it to be compared, but the 1 degree makes no difference. By your own comment, 1 degree is little diff, so why use that one, over another.

as for the fans and being "fair", its a perspective thing.

Testing is to show how much heat it can take it away. If I tested 1 in a room that was 100F, and another in a room that was 60F, but had them all facing the same way, would that be fair?

by having all the coolers pulling or pushing in the same way, shows how well it pulls away heat, and that is the point.

mapesdhs

Distinguished
[citation][nom]realibrad[/nom]@ mapesdhsI think Crashman was jokeing, by posting a like to a review of that cooler. You had asked for it to be compared, but the 1 degree makes no difference. ...[/citation]

Hmm, you may have a point there (just didn't read like it was a joke). Either way, apologies Crashman!

Still, the over focus on the D14 is a little grating when there are cheaper alternatives which are just
as good or better. Plus, as I say, testing results do vary, eg.:

http://www.overclockersclub.com/reviews/phanteks_ph_tc14pe/4.htm
http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/forum/271900-11-phantsks-tc14pe-king

Also, the D14 is kinda ugly IMO. :}

Ian.

nate1492

Distinguished
Nov 23, 2012
I meant to reply to this one... sorry!
[citation][nom]Crashman[/nom]Or that the Water 2.0 is 50% THICKER than most other coolers? It just seems like you were paid by one of the other manufacturers not to notice that fact.[/citation]
[citation][nom]Mac_McMan[/nom]LGA 1156 coolers fit LGA 1155. LGA 1366 coolers fit LGA 2011. I think you're overthinking this, but the price is a little steep. I'd probably go with a nice, oversized, mid-weight air cooler such as the $50 (name your Scythe) if I was buying today.[/citation]

bmyton

Distinguished
Oct 18, 2011
[citation][nom]s3anister[/nom]The justification of buying a closed-loop water cooler (at least for me) was getting the weight of a massive air-cooler off my CPU and therefore removing the stress of that weight from the motherboard. Slightly better temps are just a bonus.[/citation]

I went with a closed loop water system because my case didn't have enough head space above the CPU to mount a large air cooling unit. If you're smart with your case airflow then moving the CPU fan away from the MOBO does not have to hurt the other thermals.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
[citation][nom]kettu[/nom]Er, why? Shouldn't they be tested in the way they are intended to be used by the purchaser? And you'd just report any downsides and peculiarities to their arrangements...Not taking advantage of the whole potential of a product does not make things any fairer.[/citation]Installed the way the manufacturer of the cooler intends, or the manufacturer of every other component intends? Because every other component in the system is designed for front-to-back airflow.

If a case is used, the fair way to test would be "all in", since they'd all get cold air, but then we'd have to open the side panel to vent the top-mounted cooler. Not many purchasers intend that.

The Fractal Design thing: Most cases have the dual-fan-radiator mount on top, Fractal has it on front, front cools better but testing with that case means the results won't approximate the more-common top-mount design. This article attempts to make the case as "generic" as possible.[citation][nom]iknowhowtofixit[/nom]The only "fair" way to test is open air with no case. As soon as you throw a case into the mix, the results will begin to vary based on the airflow and design structure of that case (not to mention the components inside the case).[/citation]This is true, but without the case we can't see the effect on motherboard temps, etc. That will also vary by case, but there is a "close to standard" performance case design out there that has a 140mm rear fan, a dual-fan radiator mount around 1.5" above the board and 2" away from it, etc. The case chosen here resembles that "close to standard" so it's as close as anyone could probably get to "this is sort-of how yours will perform".

G

The problem with "CPU cooling" is that if you REALLY need alot of cooling is when you have to cheap out on a AMD processor that consumes more power and generate more heat, in that case your 80 dollar spent on cooler is better spent on a Intel CPU and use the stock coooler. You get better "cooling performance" that way and plus get better CPU performance period.

Marcus52

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2008
It's always a good idea to read a variety of results when looking at CPU cooler tests. There are a number of different methods used, and time and space constraints make it very difficult for one good site to do it all. (Not suggesting there is anything at all wrong with this set of tests. :) )

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
[citation][nom]Marcus52[/nom]It's always a good idea to read a variety of results when looking at CPU cooler tests. There are a number of different methods used, and time and space constraints make it very difficult for one good site to do it all. (Not suggesting there is anything at all wrong with this set of tests. )[/citation]Tom's Hardware has a few top air coolers that could serve the same purpose, but nobody's going to break out alternative "perfect" parts when the stuff they're already using performs "perfectly".

flong777

Honorable
Mar 7, 2013
While I admire the testing I respectfully disagree with your conclusion for the following reasons:

1. I own the NH-D14 and it does not "stress" or "break" your motherboard because it is too heavy - there is ZERO evidence for this, just look at the NewEgg reviews. The D14 would be annihilated in these reviews if there was a problem. But with thousands of reviews the D14 is pushing a 90% five-star approval rating - few if any products match that. I don't make a habit of dropping my computer and so I cannot speak about that situation, but then if your that clumsy you probably shouldn't have a computer. Computers are not made to be dropped.

I do regularly flip my computer on its side to work on it and I have never had a single problem with the NH-D14 as far as damage to the motherboard and I don't baby the computer when I do this.

Also how many computer users "ship their computer across the country" regularly? And if I did, I would just loosen the four screws that hold the D14 on and take it off before shipping. This isn't rocket science.

2. The NH-D14 DOES keep the other components inside the computer cool and your tests show this. The CL coolers don't have this benefit.

3. The NH-D14 is the quietest cooler with the best performance specs. It is nearly silent in my case.

4. The performance of the NH-D14 is just superb. The only thing in my case that gets above 40 degrees C is the video card. The D14 is tried and proven and there is no fluid to leak.

That being said, I do complement your article. Overall it is well done.

JonnyDough

Distinguished
Feb 24, 2007
[citation][nom]flong777[/nom]While I admire the testing I respectfully disagree with your conclusion for the following reasons:1. I own the NH-D14 and it does not "stress" or "break" your motherboard because it is too heavy - there is ZERO evidence for this, just look at the NewEgg reviews. The D14 would be annihilated in these reviews if there was a problem. But with thousands of reviews the D14 is pushing a 90% five-star approval rating - few if any products match that. I don't make a habit of dropping my computer and so I cannot speak about that situation, but then if your that clumsy you probably shouldn't have a computer. Computers are not made to be dropped.I do regularly flip my computer on its side to work on it and I have never had a single problem with the NH-D14 as far as damage to the motherboard and I don't baby the computer when I do this.Also how many computer users "ship their computer across the country" regularly? And if I did, I would just loosen the four screws that hold the D14 on and take it off before shipping. This isn't rocket science.2. The NH-D14 DOES keep the other components inside the computer cool and your tests show this. The CL coolers don't have this benefit.3. The NH-D14 is the quietest cooler with the best performance specs. It is nearly silent in my case.4. The performance of the NH-D14 is just superb. The only thing in my case that gets above 40 degrees C is the video card. The D14 is tried and proven and there is no fluid to leak.That being said, I do complement your article. Overall it is well done.[/citation]

A computer ought to be able to handle basic shipping via mail IMO. Due to the size of huge coolers and video cards they are not, but it would be nice if they were. A laptop is easily mailed, especially now that many come with a solid state drive.

Asus recently has had a problem with some of their CPU mounting brackets, not the cooler mount itself but the white part that the CPU sits in. They made it too flimsy and larger heatsinks will press too much upon it, flexing it. This resulted in CPU read errors, mine in particular would give me a "new CPU" error upon boot. It's a real problem, imagine a newbie trying to trouble-shoot that (I've been building PCs for over a decade, but newcomers would have a heck of a time figuring that one out). So yes, heatsinks CAN be too much stress for a motherboard, thin PCB is more of a thing of the past but the OEMs still try to get away with the cheapest costs possible.

flong777

Honorable
Mar 7, 2013
[citation][nom]JonnyDough[/nom]A computer ought to be able to handle basic shipping via mail IMO. Due to the size of huge coolers and video cards they are not, but it would be nice if they were. A laptop is easily mailed, especially now that many come with a solid state drive.Asus recently has had a problem with some of their CPU mounting brackets, not the cooler mount itself but the white part that the CPU sits in. They made it too flimsy and larger heatsinks will press too much upon it, flexing it. This resulted in CPU read errors, mine in particular would give me a "new CPU" error upon boot. It's a real problem, imagine a newbie trying to trouble-shoot that (I've been building PCs for over a decade, but newcomers would have a heck of a time figuring that one out). So yes, heatsinks CAN be too much stress for a motherboard, thin PCB is more of a thing of the past but the OEMs still try to get away with the cheapest costs possible.[/citation]

Hmmm sounds like a recent problem (stressed heat sink) with Ivy Bridge - I will defer to your experience. However, concerning the shipping issue of the computer, it is ridiculously easy to take the NH-D14 off of the motherboard for shipping. I could remove it in less than three minutes. I could reinstall it in a little over five minutes. Frankly, a person is not too bright if they can't figure that out if they want to ship the computer.

Also, if the motherboard CPU mounting brackets are that flimsy, then you probably would have problems with some CL coolers because the tubing does put tension on the mounting bracket. This sounds like a motherboard problem, why is the reviewer inferring it is the NH-D14's fault?

The NH-D14 comes with a metal back plate that stiffens the mounting bracket and it is extremely well thought out. I again point to nearly 900 reviews on Newegg with an 87% 5-star approval rating (for Sandy Bridge units). Find another cooler with that level of customer satisfaction on Newegg. What is funny is that the ratings for the NH-D14 would be well over 90% in the 5-star level except for dummies who buy the unit and then discover it doesn't fit in their case. 75% of the bad reviews on Newegg are complaints that the unit doesn't fit the dummy's case, or that you have to use low profile RAM. Noctua's website covers all of this and that info is easily accessible and understandable so it is not Noctua's fault if someone doesn't check to see if it will fit their build.

JonnyDough

Distinguished
Feb 24, 2007
It isn't Ivy Bridge, it's an AM2+ board. In the scope of things, that's rather recent still. :)

Yeah, I realize that a lot of complaints are newbs. I've modded power supplies before to fit in with a custom aesthetic theme.

fkr

Splendid
I still think the hyper 212 is the best value. my 2500k runs @ 4.64 on 1.42v. i idle in the low 20's and prime 95 (same settings as in this review)takes me to 61C. this is a single fan setup using the fan that came with it. rpm set at 1750 and it is quiet. I am sure if I ran a second fan i could lower my rpm's and it would be functionally silent. I have never heard of the newer generation CPU's being hindered or dergrading at 60C, in fact wont the stock cooling take you to 72C.
http://ark.intel.com/products/52209?wapkw=(I5-2500
this is a lighter cheaper and functionally equivalent cooler.
I still like all the better coolers also but you cannot really push a chip much further than this one already is and this cooling is plenty

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
[citation][nom]rmpumper[/nom]Now do Water2.0 Extreme vs H110.[/citation]Same problem as the NZXT H60, 2x140mm top-mounted radiators don't leave room for the motherboard in of any of the recently-tested cases. Two fans fit, two fans and a radiator are blocked by motherboard sinks, power connectors, DIMM latches...

You made a special bold note about the Corsair H90 blocking the first expansion slot in the case. I didn't see a note about this for the Kraken X40. From the install picture of the X40, it looks to have the exact same problem. Shouldn't this possible issue be mentioned for the Kraken X40, especially since it was awarded the Smart Buy Award?

Status
Not open for further replies.