Four More Closed-Loop Liquid Coolers Take On The NH-D14

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
[citation][nom]rwpritchett[/nom]You made a special bold note about the Corsair H90 blocking the first expansion slot in the case. I didn't see a note about this for the Kraken X40. From the install picture of the X40, it looks to have the exact same problem. Shouldn't this possible issue be mentioned for the Kraken X40, especially since it was awarded the Smart Buy Award?[/citation]Your oversight caught my oversight. Thanks! :)

[citation][nom]jamesedgeuk2000[/nom]Wait, so the H90 had its results discounted as your reviewer didn't like the way they are set up? Whats the problem? that it exhausts heat into the case for the case fans to clear? where exactly does the D14 exhaust its heat to, the phantom zone?[/citation]

I agree, I was using the Sillver Arrow over the DH-14's .....same or better thermals and quieter. But, now I take the Phanteks ... same or better thermals than both. And while thermally, I can't say ya could go wrong with any of the 3, the DH-14 is still fugly and the Phanteks 5 year warranty covers you for the life of the PC while the Noc gives ya just one year..... not to mention the fact that the Phanteks is $10 cheaper than the Noc on newegg.

flong777

Honorable
Mar 7, 2013
[citation][nom]JackNaylorPE[/nom]I agree, I was using the Silver Arrow over the DH-14's .....same or better thermals and quieter. But, now I take the Phanteks ... same or better thermals than both. And while thermally, I can't say ya could go wrong with any of the 3, the DH-14 is still fugly and the Phanteks 5 year warranty covers you for the life of the PC while the Noc gives ya just one year..... not to mention the fact that the Phanteks is $10 cheaper than the Noc on newegg.[/citation]

Are you talking about the new Silver Arrow SB-E- the old Silver Arrow did not beat the D-14 in high stress situations (overclock). Same with the Phantek, it is close but it doesn't quite beat the D-14. I think I have read every review of these three coolers. I have heard the the new Silver Arrow SB-E beats the old one but I am not sure if it really bests the D-14. One of the problems with the old Silver Arrow was that the CPU mounts were not flat and this is inherently inefficient. Hopefully they corrected that.

You are right that all three are very close, but in most (the majority) of the professional reviews I have seen the D-14 beats every other air cooler It is a can of worms because some reviewers evidently don't install there test coolers correctly and so test results vary widely - and this is with professional reviewers.

Further some professional reviewers orient the D-14 wrong (and they tell you they are doing this) for some reason I cannot comprehend. By wrong I mean so that the D14 does not exhaust heat out of the case.

My point is that as you go through the reviews you encounter a rat's nest to unravel. Frosty Tech has the most comprehensive list of cooler reviews but their tests simply do not make sense. Their tests in both noise and cooling efficiency come to different conclusions from about every other review and I can't understand why. For example, Frosty Tech lists the noise from the D-14 at 46 Db, no other review lists it as that loud. This review lists the noise of the D-14 at 25 Db. The same goes for cooling.

But as you sift through the dozens of reviews you begin to get a concensus and the D-14 it the best. This review by Toms Hardware illustrates just how good it is because it actually competes head to head with the Corsair H100i which is the most efficient CL prefab cooler you can buy right now - but it is noisier than the D-14.

Tom's review is marred by one problem, the criticism of the weight of the D-14. That it "flexed" the CPU mount on the board in this test is NOT the D-14's fault and I doubt it is a weight problem. IF this WAS a REAL problem with D-14 we would see it in the Newegg and Amazon reviews. The Sandy Bridge D-14 has over 870 reviews on Newegg and funny NOT A SINGLE REVIEW I HAVE READ COMPLAINS ABOUT THE D-14 FLEXING THE CPU MOUNT OR THE MOTHERBOARD. The Tom's reviewer needs to check how he installed the D-14 and also check the mobo to see if it is just too weak. It is possible that the reviewer just had a bad day and overtightened the CPU mount screws (though that would be difficult to do) or that mobo is just to weak because NO PROFESSIONAL REVIEW I HAVE READ reports this problem and I have read dozens of D-14 reviews.

Other than the above problem this review is really first class and well done.

flong777

Honorable
Mar 7, 2013
Forgot to say, yes the D14 is butt-ugly, I agree. But it actually looks pretty impressive in my Corsair 650D case which has a window.

I am very interested in the new Silver Arrow SB-E. It appears to have improved on the already stellar cooling or the previous Silver Arrow.

youssef 2010

Distinguished
Jan 1, 2009
[citation][nom]s3anister[/nom]The justification of buying a closed-loop water cooler (at least for me) was getting the weight of a massive air-cooler off my CPU and therefore removing the stress of that weight from the motherboard. Slightly better temps are just a bonus.[/citation]

I can understand the weight concern, especially after the last SBM iteration. But since my system doesn't move from its place except for cleaning, I think I'll be keeping my V6GT.

As a side note, there are many spelling and grammar mistakes throughout the article. Please read the article carefully before publishing

pepster

Honorable
Mar 9, 2013
"closed-loop coolers give us a taste of liquid-cooling’s benefits, sans the risk."

I disagree, my Coolit ECO failed and destroyed a $200 Gigabyte motherboard.
The lies given are that the liquid will not damage the board, that is, if the computer is off. That is not when the systems will fail. The excuse from Coolit was that my cpu went to 60c and that was an acceptable reason for the failure. I had my motherboard alarms set for 60c and they didn't go off. If I jumped through the hoops, Coolit offered to replace the ECO but not the motherboard??? I told them...for the love of God, why would I want to put another one of their bombs in my computer? Anyway, with all the good fan coolers out there, it is not worth the risk to use water cooling in my experience. Perhaps I should not condemn them all, but I would certainly avoid the Coolit junk.

Love my NH-D14 of two years ownership now. Keeps my 4.8GHz o/c 2500k below 60C at load, even in summer indoor ambient temps. However, that color is beyond fugly - I honestly don't think they could have picked two more hideous colors individually for a cooler, let alone combined. I'm seriously considering removing it, taking it apart and painting the fans and the fan cowlings flat black (very carefully).

[citation][nom]grndzro[/nom]The D14 dosen't perform any better than a Xigmatek Gaia with 2 fans...which is 1/3 the price.[/citation]
You must have had a very bad D14H. the performance values of tower HSF have much greater deltaT due to sheer size of the tower

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Do they? How so?
If thicker is better, and wider is better still, what happens when we get both? Thermaltake put these concepts together in the 1.5”-thick dual-fan radiator of the Water2.0 Extreme.

logainofhades

Titan
Would my HAF 932 advanced have enough airflow for the voltage regulation that I wouldn't have the need for an extra fan. The X40 is a bit of a consideration for me. Tired of moving my fan on my CM 212 anytime I want to change ram out.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
The only way you'll know if your VRM gets hot is to try it. Workarounds for a hot VRM include changing fan direction or using a supplemental fan. Antec SpotCool works nice for voltage regs.

Status
Not open for further replies.