Four New Closed-Loop Liquid Coolers Versus Noctua's NH-D14

Status
Not open for further replies.

razor512

Distinguished
Jun 16, 2007
Seems they reduced their old BS claim of handling 400 watts of heat on the Reserator 3 MAX, it is now 350 watts, but even that seems unrealistic.

Tomshardware should place some of these coolers on a resistive load of 300-400 watts and see if these coolers can actually handle the heat, or will the fluid boil and build up enough pressure to pop.

xiinc37

Honorable
Jul 18, 2012
Isn't the whole point of watercooling to move the cooler far away from the cpu, so that there is more room to utilize a significantly larger radiator? The thermalright and zalman options look smaller than the noctua...

rmpumper

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2009
Grabbed a Dark Rock Pro 2 for my new setup. No regrets - looks a billion times better than D14, is less noisy, performs +-1C the same.

got an old corsair h100 for $50, which was less then the old heatsink i had on my phII x4 965 used to go for (thermalright ultra 120), Gained a solid 8C improvement in temps, lost some of the noise advantages (the ultra had two noctua's on it)... setting it to medium gave me a 5C improvement in temps, and about the same noise levels. overall i'm pretty happy with it. it looks cleaner, that's for sure.

Thanks for the review.I always have said if someone is going to watercool they should go custom.IMO those all in one water cooling kits just are not worth it. They are no better than high-end air cooling like a Noctua D14, Thermalright Silver Arrow,Phanteks PH-TC14PE elect.If you want to go water cooling do a custom loop if not just go with top of the line air cooling.Better bang per buck!

itzsnypah

Honorable
Aug 20, 2012
I wish there was some way to measure the DeltaT of the Ethylene Glycol used in these CLC's because truthfully I wouldn't be surprised to see >25c when using a overclocked 3960X.

ChromeTusk

Distinguished
Jun 10, 2010
I wonder how much the rear exhaust fan would have affected the Reserstor3’s results.
In any case, I will wait for price drops or rebates.

djorgji

Honorable
Oct 7, 2013
Is it so difficult to sort the results from best to worst? Lowest to highest etc?

Like this it is impossible to read.

nilfisktun

Distinguished
Aug 19, 2010
Well, those stock fans all blows, in my optic. You might call it cheating, but try slamming in two noctua pwm fans in a H100i for instance. I run this at home, and those fans typically runs at 600-800 rpm, therefore being totally silent. My stock temps rest around 38C, with 22C ambient, and hit around 60C at full prime load. i7 2600K @ 4.2 ghz. 1.28v

Plusthinking Iq

Honorable
Sep 11, 2013
this is very bad testing, it only works for out of the box comparison. most of the watercoolers can be tweaked into lower speed of fans and even pump like they do on silentpcreview. this test i was hoping to answer my question if i could buy a dual fan watercooler instead of the air cooler to cool a i7 powerhouse with oc and still tweak it so its nearly silent. instead the fans are in the thousands of rpm when only 1000 is needed to cool efficiently......

Knoodle Knocker

Honorable
Aug 2, 2013
I have H100, H100i, Coolermaster Seidon 240 and Thermal Take Water 2.0. Cooling wise, TT water 2.0 really works well in the extreme mode, but the fan is noisy and you can feel some vibrations in the PC case. Tt water 2.0 is excellent. There were times when I just turned on the PC and I thought that the PC was still off as I can't hear a noise coming out from the fans of Tt water 2.0. For quiet mode, this is the best. Over all, from what I have that I listed above, Tt water 2.0 is the best choice.

BigMack70

Distinguished
Mar 16, 2007
Thanks for the review! It's always nice to have roundups for coolers like this, and I think you guys are right on for using the D14 as the base of comparison (thanks for not using a less popular but newer cooler like the U14S).

I've been tempted for a long time to switch my NH-D14 out for a Corsair H110 and just use my 140mm Noctua fans on it... not sure if this review makes me want to do that more or not.

philly27

Honorable
Aug 1, 2012
I would have liked to see Swiftech in there, even though it's a slightly different category. good article but I tend to agree with Plusthinking b/c tweaking w/o a neglect-able performance hit is achievable

The testing may not have been what you were wanting but I don't think you can call it bad because they didn't test custom configurations. Your particular question has been answered, the answer is no, use the Noctua air cooler.

With that said I would appreciate a thermal test that used the same fan on every cooler to show efficiency.

slomo4sho

Distinguished
Noctua NF-F12 fans on my Cooler Master Seidon 240M perform well. The issue with the current selection of close-looped coolers are the fans that they come with. Noisy high rpm fans may be efficient at cooling and proving high static pressure but their performance doesn't justify the acoustics.

I am hoping that Toms has a followup article testing various radiator fans.

Drejeck

Honorable
Sep 12, 2013
I have a D14 rheobus controlled to fixed 12v and I can't hear it over my antec Big Boy 200mm triple speed
6 years of warranty outlive those AIO liquid cooling.
Why are getting this crappy things so popular? I am gathering Bitspower fittings to start a real liquid loop (demineralized water and nickel plating only). AIO watercooling the cpu doesn't make sense to me given the performance of top air coolers and their reliability. It could make sense when you watercool a GPU which works a lot harder in a limited space and with weight issues.

bchan009

Honorable
Sep 17, 2013
Can't speak for bigger AIOs but small-sized 120mm fan/radiator AIOs are a godsend for people who build mini ITX performance rigs like me. In some cases the biggest air cooling solution I can fit is the intel stock cooler, and AIOs save the day big time. =)

7amood

Distinguished
Dec 11, 2005

how did you come to the conclusion that the U14S is less popular than the older NH-D14? The U14S has shown and proven that the NH-D14 is over-engineered. For an air cooler, the U14S competes with the best water coolers. Don't get me wrong, I'm not against water cooling. I'm just saying that the U14S is better than NH-D14 in performance as it is newer.

This review should have included the U14S as it is superior than that old NH-D14.

chesteracorgi

Distinguished
I have been running the Antec H20 920 for 2 + years, modding it out with Cougar 120 mm fans: the Antec fans were unacceptably loud, and used the Antec 620 in another gaming build. Both run quiet and cool (between +5 and + 10 C at idle) and never have exceeded 60 C in gaming or at stress.
The torque on the mobo is minimal compared to the Noctua or other big air coolers and the case cooling is improved through greater circulation.
Big air is fine for cooling but taxing on the mobo and impacts longevity. If you plan to keep a rig for more than 3 years beware of big air: mobos are not designed to endure constant shearing torque of 1-2 Kg.

oj88

Honorable
May 23, 2012
Noctua probably wins on its fan quality. I would like to see the test result using Noctua fans on all the water coolers.

Au_equus

Distinguished
Mar 31, 2011
I had a NH-D14 cooler in my setup, but had to take it out due to a factor not mentioned in this article: size. The fan brackets would press against the PCB of my 680. So it had to be removed in favor of a water cooled setup.

You can gently bend them. Noctua said it was ok :)

Image here
http://imageshack.us/a/img209/4777/clipfv.jpg

I say this as someone who also has an H80i(only a single 120mm fan outlet on my case) and with some more quiet fans or a lower speed profile. It has worked out quite well and made more room in my case.

Status
Not open for further replies.