Four Retro Consoles Torn Apart and Photographed

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

youssef 2010

Distinguished
Jan 1, 2009
[citation][nom]False_Dmitry_II[/nom]Compare what those look like to the bulldozer die shot.So much more simple...[/citation]

einstein said "the more you try to make things simple, the more complex they become"

someguynamedmatt

Distinguished
[citation][nom]ddragoonss[/nom]The simpler, the better. My Atari 2600 still working properly; while my brand new xbox360...[/citation]
Makes me look back on my Gateway2000 with a Pentium 1 processor and ~812MB Hard Drive. It's physically impossible to make that thing crash.

Haserath

Distinguished
Apr 13, 2010
[citation][nom]someguynamedmatt[/nom]Makes me look back on my Gateway2000 with a Pentium 1 processor and ~812MB Hard Drive. It's physically impossible to make that thing crash.[/citation]
You shouldn't say "physically" *cracks his knuckles* ;)

Camikazi

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2008
[citation][nom]someguynamedmatt[/nom]Makes me look back on my Gateway2000 with a Pentium 1 processor and ~812MB Hard Drive. It's physically impossible to make that thing crash.[/citation]
Give me a hammer and I will make it crash :)

thechief73

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2010
Quote from Futurama, Season 1: Episode 9: "Hell Is Other Robots"

Fry: Whoa, whoa, whoa, wait, Bender. So long as we're here why don't we take in some exotic dancing?
Leela: Hey, great idea!
Bender: But... those girls don't wear cases. You can see their bare circuits.

thillntn

Distinguished
Apr 14, 2010
You should do an article on current consoles from m$ and $ony and the wii.Compare the old designs to the new, or would that freak $ony out and ban you in their next firmware? :)

wotan31

Distinguished
Jun 30, 2009
[citation][nom]hundredislandsboy[/nom]Amazing. Now you can take all the "CPUs" from these consoles, combine their processing power and AMD can put it on a die the size of the period at teh end of this sentence.[/citation]
I doubt it. My fonts are HUGE.

wotan31

Distinguished
Jun 30, 2009
[citation][nom]COLGeek[/nom]It is funny how we used to do so much (relatively speaking) with so little. Thanks for the memories! HOOAH!!![/citation]
Well yeah, now we have the Windows OS, which requires 2 cores and 4 GB of memory just to boot up. Software back then was actually written efficiently, and in the absolute minimum number of lines of code required.

someguynamedmatt

Distinguished
[citation][nom]Haserath[/nom]You shouldn't say "physically" *cracks his knuckles*[/citation]
Heh, I just got it fired back up, and it's as solid as ever. Not exactly fast... well... your average smartphone is faster than it... but it's still ticking along happily. It's amazing how far graphics have progressed, though; it still had Flight Simulator '95 on it with its max resolution of 640x480 or something. Oh, the good old days.

wotan31

Distinguished
Jun 30, 2009
[citation][nom]scrumworks[/nom]That's too retro. Even for me.[/citation]
That's because you're a teenager living his parents basement playing WoW for 14 hours a day. You wouldn't know good hardware if someone hit you over the head with it. These classic consoles and all their simplicity required kids to actually use their imaginations. The rudimentary graphics forced game designers to actually build good games, ones that were enjoyable to play and kept your attention. These days they all use flashy 3D graphics and surround sound as a crutch, and as an excuse to sell ****** games. Look at Doom3 - Brilliant graphics and effects (for its time) but boring game play.

Status
Not open for further replies.