Foxconn Raising Prices to Avoid Further Suicides

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

This is funny Sh*t. So by them raising prices it's going to decrease suicides? Maybe someone should tell them to give there employees raises. I have a hard time believing the price increase is going to go into the workers hands. I guess teh CEO needed something to justify the increase. Good excuse.

figgus

Distinguished
Jan 12, 2010
[citation][nom]bloodlust2222[/nom]This is funny Sh*t. So by them raising prices it's going to decrease suicides? Maybe someone should tell them to give there employees raises. I have a hard time believing the price increase is going to go into the workers hands. I guess teh CEO needed something to justify the increase. Good excuse.[/citation]

Did you even READ the article?

g00fysmiley

Distinguished
Apr 30, 2010
so apple will be charged an extra dollar or two per device and add a couple hundred to the final price claiming its thier supply parts companies raising prices.. its iCONomics

silentq

Distinguished
Mar 9, 2010
Apple is not overpriced enough? Yeah, just give Jobs another reason to crank up the prices.
Jobs: "We incresed the price of iPhone 4 from $799 to $999 because Foxconn raised it's production value from $6.54 to $6.75 in order to compensate the workers and decrease suicides. Apple simply follows the rules."

JimmiG

Distinguished
Nov 21, 2008
The only reason stuff is so cheap these days is because it's made by slave workers in Asia. If everything was being manufactured in the EU, US etc., with the wages and working conditions people expect, your motherboard wouldn't be $150, it would be $1500.

hoof_hearted

Distinguished
Mar 6, 2010
What bugs the crap out of me is the fact that Apple only pays $6.54 per phone. Where does the rest of the money go? Hell, I'd for $100 for a Foxconn iClone, cutting Apple out of the picture and giving Foxconn an extra $93.46 per unit to spread between the CEOs and workers. It is win-win for everybody except Apple.

xrodney

Distinguished
Jul 14, 2006
[citation][nom]JimmiG[/nom]The only reason stuff is so cheap these days is because it's made by slave workers in Asia. If everything was being manufactured in the EU, US etc., with the wages and working conditions people expect, your motherboard wouldn't be $150, it would be $1500.[/citation]
Doubt difference will be more then 20-30$.
As already said by some companies making electronics, salary is making only ~20% of manufacturing expenses.

chickenhoagie

Distinguished
Feb 12, 2010
great, foxconn will charge these rich companies extra for better employee wages as they properly should, then the big companies will go an extra mile to rape us even harder and throw on 3 times the price and say to us that they're compensating for the bad market.

oh well..we all hate CEO's but i guess thats life.

andrewcutter

Distinguished
Sep 10, 2009
[citation][nom]beamthegreat[/nom]@ hoof_hearted and all the apple haters out there. The 6.54$ is just the cost for assembling an iphone 4 NOT the price of the material uses to build it. WHy are people so stupid here?[/citation]
:O

tomate2

Distinguished
Apr 8, 2010
i was wondering when that was going to happen... foxconn has been doing a lot about these suicides... the money for that has to come from somewhere

G

Cheap labor is the new slavery. Slavery wasn't free back in the day, you had to feed them, so the slaves worked your field, and consumed part of the harvest. Contrary to republican propaganda, the US was never truly prosperous or powerful until after WW2, especially the south where slavery was most prevalent.

By the same token, the US has never been prosperous since we gave up on job protectionism to pursue cheap-labor AKA neo-slavery. It's been one continuous downhill slide, and it won't get better until we move jobs back here, and pay a living wage for them.

jomofro39

Distinguished
Jul 10, 2009
Poor slave workers in China. They aren't even allowed to know any different. :( I hope the curtain comes down soon and frees these citizens from the gold-clasped clutch of their "communist" government. This is NOT what Marx envisioned.
I wonder what the salary increase is. Didn't they double it or something a month ago? From a nickel to a dime a day?

[citation][nom]js1234[/nom]It would be interesting to know where did the author of this article read about that iSupply value... Because according to iSuppli: "iPhone 4 Carries Bill of Materials of $187.51, According to iSuppli"http://www.isuppli.com/Teardowns-M [...] uppli.aspxThis is very low quality research, to say the least...[/citation]
187.51 is the parts the $6.54 is the assembly cost.

jedi940

Distinguished
Mar 11, 2007
[citation][nom]xrodney[/nom]Doubt difference will be more then 20-30$.As already said by some companies making electronics, salary is making only ~20% of manufacturing expenses.[/citation]

That's 20% if current salaries. If you factor in the low pay and exchange rates and cost of living, that would make a huge difference. Some places people are living on a U.S. dollar a day. Now in the U.S. that is way below what would be necessary but in other countries, that dollar will go alot further. Say you have 100 workers making 1 U.S. dollar a day. Your daily cost for labor of manufacturing is $100 U.S. Now if that same product were made in America where the minimum wage is $7.25/hr those same 100 workers would cost the manufacturer $5800 per day. That is a 5800% increase. Now I'm not condoning extreme working conditions where peoples lives are in danger and deaths are occuring due to the conditions, however, other countries that have lower costs of living along with fewer government safety regulations that must be implemented, it will always be considerably cheaper for the producer to use overseas labor.

g00fysmiley

Distinguished
Apr 30, 2010
[citation][nom]js1234[/nom]It would be interesting to know where did the author of this article read about that iSupply value... Because according to iSuppli: "iPhone 4 Carries Bill of Materials of $187.51, According to iSuppli"http://www.isuppli.com/Teardowns-Manufacturing-and-Pricing/News/Pages/iPhone-4-Carries-Bill-of-Materials-of-187-51-According-to-iSuppli.aspxThis is very low quality research, to say the least...[/citation]

actually its great research... its how much they charge to MAKE the phone... as in put the pieces together not the cost of the actual parts

ecnovaec

Distinguished
Oct 22, 2008
I'm really not understanding why they're making this foxconn thing such a big deal. In china, there is a 10 in 100,000 suicide rate annually. Last year at foxconn, 11 out of 300,000 commit suicide. That's nearly 1/3 the national average! Considering the conditions they work in, that's amazing!

noblerabbit

Distinguished
Oct 14, 2010
Foxconn cases (computer chassis) are built to ISO standards, and are very reliable and cost effective. The company must be doing 'something' right, but they , as a company, are aggressors, and as many oriental companies, are trying hard to push their products into the western front. Therfore, I can understand the pressure behind these workers, they have to keep up with the supply of the forced demand.

back_by_demand

Splendid
BANNED
Jul 16, 2009
[citation][nom]ecnovaec[/nom]I'm really not understanding why they're making this foxconn thing such a big deal. In china, there is a 10 in 100,000 suicide rate annually. Last year at foxconn, 11 out of 300,000 commit suicide. That's nearly 1/3 the national average! Considering the conditions they work in, that's amazing![/citation]
I've been saying this for ages - don't bother.
After being attacked left, right & centre for stating the facts I just gave up.
Part of me doesn't care anymore, mainly the part that thinks there's far too many people in China already and mass-suicide may actually do something to help the rampant over-population.

Still, back to subject, $6.54 cost to build an iPhone?
That is OBSCENE!!!!!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.