[SOLVED] Fps drop after cpu upgrade.

Feb 26, 2019
I recently bought an 1800x I hooked up last night and last week I put in a Vega 64. (Previously 1600/ and 1060) my fps playing basically every game has experienced a 15-20 fps drop since I installed the CPU. I also had situations where frames would stutter for around 3 seconds while playing BFV.
I'm going to be doing a clean windows install and bios update this weekend but if I can fix this before then that would be nice.

Solution
Hopefully the windows reinstall should fix everything. There should no noticeable difference for the GPU performance between ad 1600 and 1800x, and certainly not massive slowdowns.

nobspls

Reputable
Mar 14, 2018
Why do you think an 1800x is going get you any better gaming performance over a 1600? Ryzen are no good for high FPS gaming. I got a 1600 and 1700 all over clocked to 3.9 and 3.8 Ghz too and they can't even soundly beat my old haswells. I wouldn't use anything faster than a GTX1060 with any Ryzen builds, unless those GPUs are retired hand-me-downs.

Feb 26, 2019
I recently bought an 1800x I hooked up last night and last week I put in a Vega 64. (Previously 1600/ and 1060) my fps playing basically every game has experienced a 15-20 fps drop since I installed the CPU. I also had situations where frames would stutter for around 3 seconds while playing BFV.
I'm going to be doing a clean windows install and bios update this weekend but if I can fix this before then that would be nice.
Uninstall your previous 1060 driver using with DDU and install vega 64 latest driver. Reset graphic setting to default in games.

Feb 26, 2019
Why do you think an 1800x is going get you any better gaming performance over a 1600? Ryzen are no good for high FPS gaming. I got a 1600 and 1700 all over clocked to 3.9 and 3.8 Ghz too and they can't even soundly beat my old haswells. I wouldn't use anything faster than a GTX1060 with any Ryzen builds, unless those GPUs are retired hand-me-downs.
I didn't think that it would give me an increase in gaming. I bought it because I do some vid editing. That doesn't answer my question though. Why would my performance be vastly worse with a better cpu.

boju

Titan
Ambassador
1800x should theoretically utilities vega 64 better than 1600 would i imagine with a higher base/boost speed.

Things to check might be;

-Windows is recognising cpu properly and all cores accounted for.

-Check cpu temps making sure there's no throttling.

-Refresh Windows power plans. Could try set a different power plan, restart pc, then go back to the plan you had initially.

-Use DDU suggested already to make sure Nvidia is gone.

---

Reinstalling Windows would probably solve it. Might get away with a Window's reset (keeping your files) since there's not a lot else different. If there was a motherboard swap id recommend a reinstall to prevent Windows reset reusing motherboard drivers.

Feb 26, 2019
1800x should theoretically utilities vega 64 better than 1600 would i imagine with a higher base/boost speed.

Things to check might be;

-Windows is recognising cpu properly and all cores accounted for.

-Check cpu temps making sure there's no throttling.

-Refresh Windows power plans. Could try set a different power plan, restart pc, then go back to the plan you had initially.

-Use DDU suggested already to make sure Nvidia is gone.

---

Reinstalling Windows would probably solve it. Might get away with a Window's reset (keeping your files) since there's not a lot else different. If there was a motherboard swap id recommend a reinstall to prevent Windows reset reusing motherboard drivers.
I used ddu and removed the Nvidia drivers last week installed Vega drivers.
Windows is properly recognizing the CPU and all cores, the 1800 idling around 38 celsius the cores appear to be reading properly from what I remember (I'm at work so I can't double check that.)
I'll try resetting windows tonight when I get home. I haven't changed my motherboard. I'm reinstalling windows Saturday because I just bought a new SSD.