[SOLVED] FPS dropping when connected to internet ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

matty1053

Honorable
Dec 6, 2015
Hello,

Whenever I try to play ANY steam game when I'm connected to the internet the FPS on any game is always stuttering and dropping no lower than 45 fps. Will do it every couple seconds, it's very annoying. However, right when I unplug my ethernet cable it goes away and goes to normal 60fps. This occurs in single and multiplayer games. Idk what the issue is, GPU up to date... It's only happening with Steam games. Going 'offline' in steam doesn't help. no other background processes running.

Meanwhile BF4 installed via Origin is perfectly fine. Anyone have any idea? My windows OS is up to date, noticed this issue about 2-3 weeks ago. (Ignored it as I haven't play much games in the past few weeks).

Specs:
GPU: RTX 2070 8gb
CPU: i7-7700
16gb DDR4 RAM
1tb SSD (65% full)
1tb HDD (70% full)
250gb ssd (OS and frequently used programs installed).

Any help is appreciated, thank you!

Solution
I am missing something: how can you continue to game if you have unplugged the cable? Or are you simply saying the FPS drops not matter what you are doing when the Ethernet cable is plugged in?

Network adapter "Killer E2500 Gigabit Ethernet Controller "

1) Reinstall the drivers. Manually download, reinstall, and reconfigure.

2)Try disabling IPv6.

3) Also change DNS Servers to 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4 (Google)

Just do each of the above one at a time and not both together (for now anyway).

Another thing you can do is to use Resource Monitor and Task Manager (use both but only one at a time) to determine what changes with respect to the Ethernet cable being plugged in or not plugged in?

What resources are being used, to what extent...

Ralston18

Titan
So you normally play wired or wireless?

It appears to me that your computer may have a wired network adapter enabled and also a wireless network adapter enabled.

Only one network adapter (either wired or wireless) should be enabled. Not both or other multiples....

Wired is the most likely to provide improved performance.

Run "ipconfig /all" (without quotes) via the Command Prompt. Post the results.

matty1053

Honorable
Dec 6, 2015
So you normally play wired or wireless?

It appears to me that your computer may have a wired network adapter enabled and also a wireless network adapter enabled.

Only one network adapter (either wired or wireless) should be enabled. Not both or other multiples....

Wired is the most likely to provide improved performance.

Run "ipconfig /all" (without quotes) via the Command Prompt. Post the results.

I have it only wired. It's weird though, since when i unplug the cable it goes back to the solid 60 fps. It dips 20fps every few seconds when I am connected to internet. I seriously have no clue what the issue is.

Windows IP Configuration

Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : MATT-PC
Primary Dns Suffix . . . . . . . :
Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Hybrid
IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
DNS Suffix Search List. . . . . . : hsd1.mi.comcast.net

Ethernet adapter Ethernet:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . : hsd1.mi.comcast.net
Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Killer E2500 Gigabit Ethernet Controller
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : E0-D5-5E-0E-F4-3B
DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes
Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes
IPv6 Address. . . . . . . . . . . : 2601:406:8380:93c0::ccfb(Preferred)
Lease Obtained. . . . . . . . . . : Wednesday, May 5, 2021 12:18:59 PM
Lease Expires . . . . . . . . . . : Monday, May 10, 2021 4:23:06 PM
IPv6 Address. . . . . . . . . . . : 2601:406:8380:93c0:14c7:9142:6afb:8921(Preferred)
Temporary IPv6 Address. . . . . . : 2601:406:8380:93c0:b4ad:6cc:980d:6b47(Preferred)
Link-local IPv6 Address . . . . . : fe80::14c7:9142:6afb:8921%16(Preferred)
IPv4 Address. . . . . . . . . . . : 10.0.0.130(Preferred)
Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
Lease Obtained. . . . . . . . . . : Wednesday, May 5, 2021 12:18:57 PM
Lease Expires . . . . . . . . . . : Friday, May 7, 2021 12:18:58 PM
Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : fe80::16c0:3eff:fe8d:ff6c%16
DHCP Server . . . . . . . . . . . : 10.0.0.1
DHCPv6 IAID . . . . . . . . . . . : 400610654
DHCPv6 Client DUID. . . . . . . . : 00-01-00-01-22-88-17-CF-E0-D5-5E-0E-F4-3B
DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 75.75.75.75
2001:558:feed::1
2001:558:feed::2
NetBIOS over Tcpip. . . . . . . . : Enabled

Ralston18

Titan
I am missing something: how can you continue to game if you have unplugged the cable? Or are you simply saying the FPS drops not matter what you are doing when the Ethernet cable is plugged in?

Network adapter "Killer E2500 Gigabit Ethernet Controller "

1) Reinstall the drivers. Manually download, reinstall, and reconfigure.

2)Try disabling IPv6.

3) Also change DNS Servers to 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4 (Google)

Just do each of the above one at a time and not both together (for now anyway).

Another thing you can do is to use Resource Monitor and Task Manager (use both but only one at a time) to determine what changes with respect to the Ethernet cable being plugged in or not plugged in?

What resources are being used, to what extent (%), and what is using that resource?

PSU: make, model, wattage, age, condition?

Solution

matty1053

Honorable
Dec 6, 2015
PSU: make, model, wattage, age, condition?
CORSAIR RMx Series RM750x CP-9020179-NA 750W ATX12V / EPS12V 80 PLUS GOLD Certified Full Modular Power Supply

Anyways, So I'll be playing this game called American Truck Simulator. I play it offline single player mode. When I have the ethernet cable plugged in, the FPS stutters every few seconds from 60fps to 45fps.

After I unplug or disable the ethernet, it goes back to normal 60fps. I don't know why, but only Steam games do this I see. I tried reinstalling games and it still didn't help. Maybe I'll just reinstall everything on my computer, but IDK why its doing this. I have norton av installed and no virus's on my computer. All I use my computer for is gaming lol, I don't download on 3rd party sites.

matty1053

Honorable
Dec 6, 2015

What resources are being used, to what extent (%), and what is using that resource?
nothing changes in the task manager or resource monitor. It's just weird. I think I'll just go all out and reinstall EVERYTHING on steam and see if that works,

View: https://youtu.be/yBQ_jU3COtI

You can see the FPS stuttering in the top left corner.
Here is screen record of what I am talking about.

Ralston18

Titan
Just be methodical and change only one thing at a time.

Process Explorer and Latency Monitor are other tools you can use.

Key is narrow down things down as much as possible. Look for something that is not as expected.

Have you tried another known working at speed Ethernet cable?

matty1053

Honorable
Dec 6, 2015
Just be methodical and change only one thing at a time.

Process Explorer and Latency Monitor are other tools you can use.

Key is narrow down things down as much as possible. Look for something that is not as expected.

Have you tried another known working at speed Ethernet cable?
Yep no luck. I think I am going to just factory reset my gateway. or even get a new one from my ISP. Then I will reinstall everything on my PC from scratch. Someone suggested there could be network based malware on my PC but my anti virus doesn't show anything.

Ralston18

Titan
Before going through all of that try running ping, pathping, and tracert.

Target Steam, Google, and a couple of other websites you often visit.

Compare the results.

Any issues beyond more than the first two or three hops are out of your and your ISP's control.

matty1053

Honorable
Dec 6, 2015
Before going through all of that try running ping, pathping, and tracert.

Target Steam, Google, and a couple of other websites you often visit.

Compare the results.

Any issues beyond more than the first two or three hops are out of your and your ISP's control.
I decided to factory reset my gateway, and that literally seemed to fix the issue for now? Only time will tell.

Status
Not open for further replies.