Feb 15, 2023
In short, I'm getting an FPS drops roughly 5-10 seconds in games. This drop in FPS causes a noticeable stutter, I have pretty high fps in these games but then it freezes every 5-10 seconds or so and that causes a noticeable jolt/stutter/frame drop.

PC - Specs
- Ryzen 5 5600x Stock
-Gigabyte b450 gaming x
-Gigabyte RTX 3070 Aorus
-32 gigs of 3200mhz ram

I've tried
-Games from both my SSD and HDD both have the same issue
-Mem test my ram
-No background programs open
-Adjusted game settings up and down in terms of quality.
-Changed power plan in windows
-Reset BIOS settings

Any thoughts, help or ideas would be much appreciated

I will also link a clip of it happening and a 3Dmark test

https://streamable.com/x1i5is

https://www.3dmark.com/3dm/89173871

Lutfij

Titan
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

You forgot to include the make and model of your PSU as well as it's age. As for your motherboard, can you please pass on the BISO version at this moment of time? Did you try DDU and the manually reinstalling the latest Nvidia driver in an elevated command?

Feb 15, 2023
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

You forgot to include the make and model of your PSU as well as it's age. As for your motherboard, can you please pass on the BISO version at this moment of time? Did you try DDU and the manually reinstalling the latest Nvidia driver in an elevated command?

Hey there,

What bios are you running on the B450? What PSU do you have? Also, what monitor res/hz do you game?

I Have a Gigabyte 750W P750GM Power supply i have been using it for 2 years i think, i play on a ZOWIE XL2411P TN 144Hz 24 Inch Gaming Monitor, 144hz 1080p are my games settings for Resolution and Hz, my bios version is F63b, i have not tried DDU and manually reinstalling the latest Nvidia Drivers in an elevated command

I Have a Gigabyte 750W P750GM Power supply i have been using it for 2 years i think, i play on a ZOWIE XL2411P TN 144Hz 24 Inch Gaming Monitor, 144hz 1080p are my games settings for Resolution and Hz, my bios version is F63b, i have not tried DDU and manually reinstalling the latest Nvidia Drivers in an elevated command
I think this may be your PSU: Exploding Power Supplies: Gigabyte & Newegg Dumping Unsellable Product - YouTube

Worth swapping out asap.

You might try F63e, as it has the AGESA 1.2.0.7 which solves a stuttering bug. Make sure to clear CMOS afterwards to ensure it takes correctly.

You can set up MSI Afterburner, and set up OSD to show, CPU/GPU/Ram usage, temps, clocks. Also set up 1% lows. You can do this by settings a key to activate it. Your frame times may be spikes when you get the stutters. This will show you in realtime.

Reactions: Lutfij
Feb 15, 2023
I think this may be your PSU: Exploding Power Supplies: Gigabyte & Newegg Dumping Unsellable Product - YouTube

Worth swapping out asap.

You might try F63e, as it has the AGESA 1.2.0.7 which solves a stuttering bug. Make sure to clear CMOS afterwards to ensure it takes correctly.

You can set up MSI Afterburner, and set up OSD to show, CPU/GPU/Ram usage, temps, clocks. Also set up 1% lows. You can do this by settings a key to activate it. Your frame times may be spikes when you get the stutters. This will show you in realtime.

I guess I'm going to try the Bios solution first since paying for a whole new PSU is gonna be rough and not really available currently, Also in the clip you can see all the MSI afterburner stats you are talking about, frame times are not shown but they look like spikes yes, about 200-300 ms each time

Last edited:
Reactions: Roland Of Gilead

Lutfij

Titan
I meant I was squinting at that title: "that guy looks familiar" kind of squinting. Turns out it was the unit that GN did a piece on and was what we all were avoiding regardless of any revamp to that dreaded design. GN ran with that sarcastic line(of a blown PSU) for a long while...still do I suppose.

Reactions: Roland Of Gilead
Feb 15, 2023
Consistent stutters like this are indicative of a short somewhere in the system that arcs every 5-10 seconds. Don't ask me how I know that for a fact. Anyways, I can definitely see that PSU having an internal short. Better replace it before it starts producing magic smoke.
hmm, ok, guess im going to have to wait until Friday to fix this, is there anything else i can do to try to fix this?

hmm, ok, guess im going to have to wait until Friday to fix this, is there anything else i can do to try to fix this?
Physically search the motherboard for anything that is causing a short. For screws, gently jostle the case to listen for them. Also make sure that all PSU cables are plugged in firmly on the components and into the PSU itself. Did you use PSU cables from a different PSU? If not ignore that.

Feb 15, 2023
Physically search the motherboard for anything that is causing a short. For screws, gently jostle the case to listen for them. Also make sure that all PSU cables are plugged in firmly on the components and into the PSU itself. Did you use PSU cables from a different PSU? If not ignore that.
Ok so funnily enough, after shaking the case gently, i heard nothing rattle, but i think it solved the problem? Since i am not getting and freezes anymore, not to say that i wont replace the PSU ASAP but this seems to be a temporary solution

Ok so funnily enough, after shaking the case gently, i heard nothing rattle, but i think it solved the problem? Since i am not getting and freezes anymore, not to say that i wont replace the PSU ASAP but this seems to be a temporary solution
It could also be a bad solder on almost anything in the PC. Considering the reputation of the PSU, I think it wise to replace it regardless of what the problem may be. Glad that gave you a clue as to what was going on.

Feb 15, 2023
It could also be a bad solder on almost anything in the PC. Considering the reputation of the PSU, I think it wise to replace it regardless of what the problem may be. Glad that gave you a clue as to what was going on.
Oh for sure im replacing it as soon as i get enough money to buy a new one

Feb 15, 2023
Ok so i replaced my PSU, and its still happening? maybe its a windows issue? software?

Ok so i replaced my PSU, and its still happening? maybe its a windows issue? software?
I would still say that it is a short somewhere. It seems that by jostling the case removed that short. One way to completely make sure its not some random debris causing it is to rebuild that motherboard out of the case after air-blasting everything down with canned air. This can make sure there are no metal shavings or small hard to see conductive debris on the motherboard and otherwise. Another important thing to look out for is unused standoff screws under the motherboard causing the short. Check the case and make sure there is not a spare standoff installed touching the bottom of the motherboard where it does not have a screw hole.

Feb 15, 2023
I would still say that it is a short somewhere. It seems that by jostling the case removed that short. One way to completely make sure its not some random debris causing it is to rebuild that motherboard out of the case after air-blasting everything down with canned air. This can make sure there are no metal shavings or small hard to see conductive debris on the motherboard and otherwise. Another important thing to look out for is unused standoff screws under the motherboard causing the short. Check the case and make sure there is not a spare standoff installed touching the bottom of the motherboard where it does not have a screw hole.
I cleaned the PC today with canned air when i swapped out the PSU, so it shouldn't be any debris, and there are no extra standoffs under the motherboard that are touching the case

Reactions: helper800
Feb 15, 2023
So no shorts cause by foreign objects more than likely. What PSU did you replace the old one with? Shaking the PC solving your issue can only mean a few different things. Has it come back since?
I replaced it with the Seasonic 650W G12 GM, it seems to be appearing almost at random, i can have like half the day where it will happen, and then half the day where it doesent, maybe its a problem with my case? Since i didnt find any loose metal bits around the case, maybe its the case itself? Its a Zalman S2 case