[SOLVED] FPS Drops/High CPU usage

Dec 6, 2018
I just signed up for this site, because I have been looking through this forum for days, trying every solution I could find. So far nothing has worked. I even took my laptop in to a repair shop, and they couldn't figure it out.

I'm not too familiar with how to list my specs, but I have a GE62 Apache Pro with i7 processor, 16 GB Ram 64 Bit. Hope that helps.

Here's my problem. I use a live streaming program, and I used to get 60 fps. Now it drops to 30 fps, and stays there for a bit, then drops again to 15. The CPU usage appears to be high. I have the latest driver. I took a suggestion I saw here, which was to go into settings in the Nvidia control panel and set the processor to Nvidia rather than the standard. That seemed to help, but it is happening again today. I have the power plan set to high performance.

This software I use for streaming is the only thing I have on my computer besides Skype, so there's tons of space available.

Please someone help me lol

Solution
depends on how its used. Just for peace of mind, download prime95 and run the Small FFTs test for about 10 minutes or if the temperatures are going really high, above 90c. Also keep an eye on core clock speeds and make sure they are where they should be at or if they are downclocking to keep temperatures cool.

Eg. This is my laptop on prime95 small ffts for about 5 minutes and you can see its about 65c at 2800MHz(2.8GHz). yours should be 2600MHz(2.6GHz)
IEf4ZCu.png

izoli

Distinguished
Apr 29, 2011
if its in the 80s and 90s celsius its probably down-clocking to prevent overheating which could be causing the FPS to drop. Get something like HWMonitor that will show you the temperature of each CPU core as well as their clock speeds.

Also what GPU does your system have? you mentioned Nvidia earlier so it must have a dedicated card.

Dec 6, 2018
I have the nvidia gtx 960m. How to you fix downclocking? The afterburner doesnt seem to be working for me. I'm probably using it wrong. I'll check on the temp

izoli

Distinguished
Apr 29, 2011
Well if it is downclocking because of temperatures the only solution would be to correct the temperatures. Whether it be replacing a fan that is no longer spinning or just cleaning out dust that may have clogged the laptop or maybe even the thermal paste on the cpu is dried out and needs replaced.

First we would just need to see where we are in terms of temperatures and clock speeds.

Dec 6, 2018
Those were the temps while I was running the software. Idle temps were down toward 40s. I ran a stress test then other day with something(cant remember what) but wasnt sure how to read it

Dec 6, 2018
Another thing that's weird, and makes me question whether it is overheating, is that I use it all day for work using the streaming software, starting at about 9 am, and then around 3 PM it starts working perfectly. If it were overheating, wouldn't it be worse after a full day of use? Seems strange.

izoli

Distinguished
Apr 29, 2011
depends on how its used. Just for peace of mind, download prime95 and run the Small FFTs test for about 10 minutes or if the temperatures are going really high, above 90c. Also keep an eye on core clock speeds and make sure they are where they should be at or if they are downclocking to keep temperatures cool.

Eg. This is my laptop on prime95 small ffts for about 5 minutes and you can see its about 65c at 2800MHz(2.8GHz). yours should be 2600MHz(2.6GHz)
IEf4ZCu.png

Solution
Dec 6, 2018
Thanks so much for all your help. I appreciate it a lot. I did download prime95 but didnt know what to.do from there. I'll run that test tomorrow. What should the core clock be at?

izoli

Distinguished
Apr 29, 2011
Okay, that's not terrible for laptops as long as its running at the correct speeds. Got any OS updates that need installed? Uninstall and reinstall graphics drivers? Can you think of anything that has changed between when you got 60fps to now?

Dec 6, 2018
Os isn't updated..I did reinstall drivers. That's what's weird..this happened before, and it seemingly fixed itself.. nothing had changed that im aware of. And now it's messing up again after nothing changed. Quite strange and hard to pinpoint. I think I'm going to get a new computer after xmas. Any suggestions for under $1000?

izoli

Distinguished
Apr 29, 2011

Strictly laptop?

OS is not updated, as in there are updates that need installed? That could cause performance issues so I would update those if that is the case.