Reputable
Sep 7, 2020
PC SPECS:

CPU: i7 8700 (non K)
GPU: RTX 3070 Eagle OC
PSU: EVGA 700W (GOLD)
RAM: 2 x 8 (16GB RAM) 2400mhz
Motherboard: Z370 A PRO
Monitor: Acer KG271 144hz (1920 x 1080p)

Hello I have a problem with Stuttering + FPS drops when I play games on Ultra or High settings. I play on 1920 x 1080p monitor so I shouldn't be having these problems with a RTX 3070. Usually my games run between 100 - 144 fps but when I enter new parts of the map in same cases I get drops to below 60 FPS and get stuttering Issues. I feel like my hardware is more than sufficient to play these games at High settings as I am only playing @ 1080p.

Note : I don't think there's anything wrong with the GPU though I could be wrong.

And when the stuttering happens what is the percent usage of the CPU ? You have to check this in the performance tab in task manager ?
Given the powerfull GPU you have, it is possible that the CPU is not capable to feed enough frames at 1920 x 1080p

Fiorezy

Notable
Jul 3, 2020
And when the stuttering happens what is the percent usage of the CPU ? You have to check this in the performance tab in task manager ?
Given the powerfull GPU you have, it is possible that the CPU is not capable to feed enough frames at 1920 x 1080p
His GPU and CPU combo is more than enough for 1080p, the stuttering could be caused by high disk usage or some background tasks or even heat.

Reactions: animekenji

AC3B00G13

Reputable
Sep 7, 2020
His GPU and CPU combo is more than enough for 1080p, the stuttering could be caused by high disk usage or some background tasks or even heat.
That’s what I’m saying I think my hardware is more than enough for 1080p.

The games I am having these stuttering and FPS problems on are installed on SSD and with plenty of space in them. Windows is installed on HDD but it’s almost full I don’t know if this may be a problem but doesn’t seem so.

I do keep track of heat and it seems fine both CPU and GPU average about 50 degrees with max at 70 but it’s only very rarely it reaches that.

Next time I game I will keep keep track of CPU & GPU usage from task manager.

Fiorezy

Notable
Jul 3, 2020

The games I am having these stuttering and FPS problems on are installed on SSD and with plenty of space in them. Windows is installed on HDD but it’s almost full I don’t know if this may be a problem but doesn’t seem so.

I do keep track of heat and it seems fine both CPU and GPU average about 50 degrees with max at 70 but it’s only very rarely it reaches that.

There you go, Windows is installed on HDD, that is your problem as any system task running in the background will slow down everything else, so do a favor to yourself and reinstall Windows on your SSD.

Reactions: AC3B00G13

AC3B00G13

Reputable
Sep 7, 2020
There you go, Windows is installed on HDD, that is your problem as any system task running in the background will slow down everything else, so do a favor to yourself and reinstall Windows on your SSD.
Hello I have checked Task Manager Performance when I am gaming.

CPU is at 100% @ 4.28 Ghz
HDD goes from 50 % - 100 % when playing
GPU Ideals about 70 - 80% max 99%
RAM is 50 - 60 %

I have checked and my Windows Home is installed on my SSD. This particular game is installed on HDD.

Also the FPS - Stuttering is rare and it only happens for 1 second and then fixes back up is this a normal thing or it shouldn't be happening ? Also my FPS fluctuates from 144 FPS to 60 - 50 FPS Is this also normal ?

My general playtime experience is actually very smoothe It's just the rare cases on when it does DROP and my game lags and stutters a bit is my main concern because I have a RTX 3070 and feel like this shouldn't be happening at all right ? I could be wrong.

Last edited:

Get a 500 GB SSD for $50-$60 for your OS and solve your issue...

(you never want any drive, and certainly not an OS drive, to be almost full....)

Fiorezy

Notable
Jul 3, 2020
Hello I have checked Task Manager Performance when I am gaming.

CPU is at 100% @ 4.28 Ghz
HDD goes from 50 % - 100 % when playing
GPU Ideals about 70 - 80% max 99%
RAM is 50 - 60 %

I have checked and my Windows Home is installed on my SSD. This particular game is installed on HDD.

Also the FPS - Stuttering is rare and it only happens for 1 second and then fixes back up is this a normal thing or it shouldn't be happening ? Also my FPS fluctuates from 144 FPS to 60 - 50 FPS Is this also normal ?

My general playtime experience is actually very smoothe It's just the rare cases on when it does DROP and my game lags and stutters a bit is my main concern because I have a RTX 3070 and feel like this shouldn't be happening at all right ? I could be wrong.
CPU shouldn't be at 100% as that will also cause stutters, check for any background activities or malware, but the ultimate fix will be reinstalling Windows from scratch.

AC3B00G13

Reputable
Sep 7, 2020
That says your CPU is doing all it can.

Stop all background programs that are not needed, run virus scan, check the game settings for items that can be turned down to lower the CPU load. (google the game and high CPU usage)

If this is a prebuilt PC check for and remove bloatware.

I will Reinstall Windows although I do not have much background programs to my recollection. I ran a virus test a few months ago and it was clean.

Also you said lower the game settings for less CPU load. The whole point is for me to have High FPS without stuttering or drops. I thought playing on 1080p with my hardware would be enough for this.

I’m beginning to think I’m going to need a better CPU and motherboard to reach the performance I want.

Zerk2012

Titan
Ambassador
I will Reinstall Windows although I do not have much background programs to my recollection. I ran a virus test a few months ago and it was clean.

Also you said lower the game settings for less CPU load. The whole point is for me to have High FPS without stuttering or drops. I thought playing on 1080p with my hardware would be enough for this.

I’m beginning to think I’m going to need a better CPU and motherboard to reach the performance I want.
Your CPU is running 100% so what your getting is all you can get.
Just lowering settings is not what I said in most games their certain things that can be turned down to lower CPU usage.

AC3B00G13

Reputable
Sep 7, 2020
Your CPU is running 100% so what your getting is all you can get.
Just lowering settings is not what I said in most games their certain things that can be turned down to lower CPU usage.

I don’t have much extra features enabled anyway just general graphics are maxed in all games. I don’t see why I would need to turn them down unless my hardware is not capable of it.

AC3B00G13

Reputable
Sep 7, 2020
If the cpu is running at 100% then it means that it CAN'T do any better, which by default it means that it's the limiting factor in those games.
So basically I need a better CPU to play games the way I want to play, which is 1920 x 1080p Max Graphics settings with average 100-140 FPS without stuttering and FPS drops.

Fiorezy

Notable
Jul 3, 2020
So basically I need a better CPU to play games the way I want to play, which is 1920 x 1080p Max Graphics settings with average 100-140 FPS without stuttering and FPS drops.
Playing at 1080p means higher CPU load, but the 8700 is still more than capable to handle modern games without any issues, so please don't listen to anyone who told you to upgrade it, and btw just have a look at this Warzone benchmark using your same CPU and GPU combo, Warzone is one of the most CPU heavy games and as you can see the 8700 is nowhere near 100% and it was handling it pretty well.

As I told you before, check for any high background tasks or malware, please report back your CPU usage white idle, still, a clean install of Windows will certainly give you a smoother experience.

Zerk2012

Titan
Ambassador
Playing at 1080p means higher CPU load, but the 8700 is still more than capable to handle modern games without any issues, so please don't listen to anyone who told you to upgrade it, and btw just have a look at this Warzone benchmark using your same CPU and GPU combo, Warzone is one of the most CPU heavy games and as you can see the 8700 is nowhere near 100% and it was handling it pretty well.

As I told you before, check for any high background tasks or malware, please report back your CPU usage white idle, still, a clean install of Windows will certainly give you a smoother experience.
Just so you know before you start down voting peoples post.

https://www.techy.how/tutorials/modern-warfare-high-cpu-usage-fix

Fiorezy

Notable
Jul 3, 2020
Status
Not open for further replies.