[SOLVED] FPS increase with CPU upgrade?

saitamas

Distinguished
Nov 10, 2015
I have an old GPU and CPU (GTX 970; i7-2600), but discovered that it would be better to upgrade my CPU/mobo/ram first before upgrading the GPU. Is it likely that I would see any FPS increase in games like COD MW when going from an i7-2600 with 1333 16 GB ram to an AMD ryzen 5 3600 with 3600 16 GB ram? Thanks!

Solution
16GB of DDR4 isn't going to give you any more FPS than 16GB of DDR3, depending on the DRAM speed and CPU in use.

DDR3 2133mhz for example, with a 4790k for example, is probably going to give you very similar performance as a 6700k, even if you have DDR4 3000mhz sticks.

Memory speed isn't a major factor in gaming performance. Memory capacity on the other hand, so long as we're comparing having 16GB to only having 8GB, IF it is a title that can push your memory requirements past 8GB when the OS and other programs are factored in, might. It depends. Again, not every game is the same.

But simply having faster memory will at some point become a non-factor or at least have a minimal impact, for the majority of games UNLESS they also are...
You should see an pretty big increase in FPS in all games.

That, isn't not likely to be true. It really matters on WHAT GAME it is and what kind of settings you are running. Many games are only lightly to moderately CPU dependent, relying much more heavily on the GPU and can run easily on an older or weaker processor. In those situations, any CPU you install is unlikely to make a big difference. If the game IS heavily CPU dependent, or if you are running with very low settings, putting more demand on the CPU than the graphics card, then a more capable CPU will definitely make a difference.

So the answer is maybe, depending on the game, settings, resolution and whether or not you are doing any kind of simultaneous multitasking, because if you are, then a CPU with more cores and threads will be that much more beneficial in that scenario beyond just what it brings to the gaming capability itself.

borris618

Distinguished
May 6, 2013
But with that cpu comes much faster ddr4 ram and a much more recent MB, so he will definetly see an improvement in fps regardless of wich games are being played, although some more and some less yes.

16GB of DDR4 isn't going to give you any more FPS than 16GB of DDR3, depending on the DRAM speed and CPU in use.

DDR3 2133mhz for example, with a 4790k for example, is probably going to give you very similar performance as a 6700k, even if you have DDR4 3000mhz sticks.

Memory speed isn't a major factor in gaming performance. Memory capacity on the other hand, so long as we're comparing having 16GB to only having 8GB, IF it is a title that can push your memory requirements past 8GB when the OS and other programs are factored in, might. It depends. Again, not every game is the same.

But simply having faster memory will at some point become a non-factor or at least have a minimal impact, for the majority of games UNLESS they also are highly CPU dependent, which is what I already said. For games that are not highly CPU dependent, memory performance is not going to matter all that much so long as you have enough capacity.

The motherboard itself, while it DOES have SOME impact on various types of performance, is probably also not going to be much of a factor when it comes to changes in pure FPS performance unless we're talking about the difference between running a high end CPU on a low quality motherboard versus a high quality model with a good VRM power delivery system. And even then, again, it's probably going to depend mostly on what game it is, and whether it's CPU bound or not.

Boards can definitely see some impact on GPU card performance on different boards, so that does exist, but it's usually not a huge variable. Still, I won't argue that the board itself can be a factor but a high end board from a pre-DDR4 platform will likely perform just as well on GPU bound titles as a high end board on DDR4 platforms.

Storage is one of the biggest places where that is going to be a factor and aside from map, level, texture and save loading times, that isn't going to have much impact on gaming either. Fast storage doesn't generally impact FPS much if at all.

Solution
You guys are missing the point.

There are games where just about any four core CPU from the last six years is enough to provide as much CPU performance as is needed. For THOSE particular types of games that are almost unilaterally GPU bound, it doesn't matter. So long as the game is GPU bound, it's not going to make a difference what CPU you use. Maybe if you're trying to get 144fps or more, it might, otherwise, if it's already able to supply you with 60fps and it is a GPU bound title, getting a CPU that can offer you 100fps makes no difference.

Now, for titles that are heavily CPU bound, and can utilize additional cores and leverage that into higher performance (Which not all games can do, even ones that are heavily CPU dependent as there are still a lot of games that rely primarily on strong single core performance), then it's going to create a noticeable improvement in FPS. But, that is NOT every game. It is not "most" games. It certainly is not "all" games.

Well I'm sure there are some games that run fine on an r3 1200 but my experience is there are lots of games that I have played on my 3570k stock (with Vega 56)that when the on screen action is getting hectic the frame rate drops way below 60 fps(1080p).

Something to consider is it doesn't matter how many games really it just matters if it's a game you really want to play.

Last edited: