FPS Issues on New Laptop

revertantgrub12

Honorable
Mar 16, 2013
Hey there guys. So I am having issues with my new ASUS Q534U Laptop. I bought this laptop with the understanding that it was a pretty hefty rig and would run almost anything I threw at it with High to Max settings. So I will cover the specs before we go into exactly what it is doing.
-15.6in 4K Display
-Intel Core i7-7500u
-16 GB DDR4 2133MHz SDRAM
-NVidia GTX 950m, 2GB VRAM
-512GB SATA3 SSD & 2TB 5400RPM SATA HDD

So, now to get into my issues. I'm having game breaking frame rate issues in multiple games. Games that I have installed on my Steam that I have tried so far are: Planet Coaster, Skyrim: Special Edition, Transport Fever, Cities: Skylines, and World in Conflict (Older game that should run fantastically). I'm averaging 8-10 FPS, Maxing at 11 FPS and dropping down as low as 2-5 FPS in all games except for Skyrim which averaged 30 FPS on High settings. Messed around with settings on Cities: Skylines and Transport Fever, no matter what settings I had it one, my FPS did not change, stayed between 9-11 FPS. I know for a fact there is an issue because my old laptop ran games better than this and it was an old ASUS ROG with a 660M and an i5-2500.. If anyone can provide some input, it would be greatly appreciated!

revertantgrub12

Honorable
Mar 16, 2013

This helped marginally. Adjusted display down to 1920x1080. Cities: Skylines ran 30 FPS with constant lag spikes down to 5-8FPS on medium-high. Transport Fever ran 20FPS on medium settings, Planet Coaster ran 20 FPS with lag spikes down to 5-8FPS. Tried ramping up to high settings and it made all the games un-playable. Any other suggestions?

revertantgrub12

Honorable
Mar 16, 2013

I specifically mentioned to the person I bought this laptop from that its main purpose would be gaming. If this is truly all this laptop can do, and nothing is actually causing these issues besides hardware limitations, it is getting returned. This is a $1400 laptop and if it isn't capable of running games, it's getting returned.

atomicWAR

Glorious
Ambassador
the GTX 950m is a very weak GPU. I am not surprised your having frame rate issues at 1080P. Keep in mind a gtx 950m does not perform as well as a desktop GTX 950 (not even close actually). For example a GTX 970m (which i have in my laptop) is barely better then a GTX 960 desktop part. So your GTX 950m doesn't even compare to any desktop GTX 900 series card. With your card low to medium setting with no filtering and AA enabled is as good as it will get for 1080P. You would need to drop to 720P to even think about higher settings.

The 950m isn't much of a gaming GPU, you would want a 980m, and even then 4K gaming would be beyond it. What you've got can't be considered a serious gaming laptop, unless you're playing 10 year old games.

revertantgrub12

Honorable
Mar 16, 2013
Well this is all highly disappointing to me as this is a $1400 PC. I am a part of the majority that doesn't know what specific GPU will do what and how it will preform. I assumed a 950m would perform on the same level as other current 9-series cards.. I had no idea that one letter at the end (M) would render it not even comparable to any of the other 9-series GPUs. This PC will most certainly be getting returned and exchanged for an MSi of equivilent value. Thanks for everyone's input.

atomicWAR

Glorious
Ambassador
well what ever you get if you want to game at 1080P with medium to high settings you want at least a gtx 970m/gtx 1060 (the GTX 1000 series cards perform very close to desktop counter parts unlike the 900 series). A gtx 1060 in a laptop will beat a gtx 970 by about 6-15%. I would suggest you get a 1080P native panel, not 4k. No laptop GPU will give you good frame rates at that resolution. even a gtx 1080 in a laptop will only get you 4K @30hz on high-very high settings.

Wolfshadw

Titan
The "M" at the end of your card model number generally is referred to as the Mobility version. Due to it's more limited power and thermal restrictions, they are generally considered one level lower than their desktop counterparts. For instance, you previous GTX660m would probably be comparable to a desktop GTX 650. Your current 950m would probably be on par with a desktop GT 740 (or maybe a non-Ti. 750).

Additionally, as laptops are generally not upgrade capable, they are, in my opinion, a bad choice for a gaming system. Far too soon does the hardware get replaced and driver support disappears.

-Wolf sends

revertantgrub12

Honorable
Mar 16, 2013

Ideally, I would like to build my own rig. However, because of my lifestyle, I am constantly deploying and traveling overseas and my PC needs to come with me. A desktop would not be the best for this obviously. When I settle down in the future, I may look back at building a desktop. For now, it will have to be a laptop though.

TRENDING THREADS