[SOLVED] FPS lower than expected with 3060 ?

Aryatikku

Prominent
Mar 28, 2020
i have a rtx 3060 and when i play games the frames i get are lower than what other people get with the same gpu. in gpu-z it says i am bottlenecked by my voltage an that might be why im getting less frames. is there any way to fix this?

Solution
i have a rtx 3060 and when i play games the frames i get are lower than what other people get with the same gpu. in gpu-z it says i am bottlenecked by my voltage an that might be why im getting less frames. is there any way to fix this?
No, you won't be "bottlenecked by your voltage", you are probably playing with the settings cranked higher then you think. Also you are extremely vague, as FPS varies on a game per game basis, and the level of quality will be different, say you can run cities skylines at 4K V.High, but can only run something like cyberpunk at 1440p High. You need to provide more details.

CS_044

Commendable
Aug 25, 2020
No, you won't be "bottlenecked by your voltage", you are probably playing with the settings cranked higher then you think. Also you are extremely vague, as FPS varies on a game per game basis, and the level of quality will be different, say you can run cities skylines at 4K V.High, but can only run something like cyberpunk at 1440p High. You need to provide more details.

Solution

Aryatikku

Prominent
Mar 28, 2020

for example in r6 max settings i only get 140 and benchmarks online say i should get 250
rdr2 max textures medium everything else i get 60 instead of 90
fortnite on low i get 80 instead of 150
cold war max textures low everything else i get 80 instead of 120
warzone i get 60 instead of 120 max everything
all at 1080p

Last edited:
Max FPS are determined by the CPU. How good they are presented visually is determined by the GPU.

Bottom line is that if your CPU (and ram, SSD, windows version, drivers, bios and game patches) are different, then you won't get the same FPS with the ones you see on YouTube. Of course overclocking is another think you need to consider.

So, what are your full system specs?

Sep 25, 2021
You're probably being bottlenecked by an older/slower CPU. Reviewers use the fastest CPU they have on hand, because (in a nutshell) your CPU has to be fast enough to give your GPU frames to work on. If your CPU can't give the GPU frames fast enough, there's nothing for it to work on and you're missing out on performance.

For another example: If you're running a Ryzen 5 2600, then you're going to get fewer frames at 1080p than the reviewer ran a faster Ryzen 9 5950X or an 11900k.

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
gpu-z it says i am bottlenecked by my voltage
It's running into either vRel, VOp, or both?

If it's vRel, the gpu core is unable to step up to the next voltage bin on the Boost curve because the core will become unstable and likely crash, thus boost bins higher than what it's getting now is a no-go.
You may then consider raising the voltage slider in Afterburner, but to tell you the truth, it doesn't work. Raising it tells the gpu that it has permission to use more voltage, but it really doesn't bother.
There's the Curve Editor, but that one's better used for undervolting the card and reducing power use and thermals.

If it's VOp, it means the gpu has hit the physical limit of what the voltage controller can supply, and it can't supply any more voltage for higher Gpu Boost bins, thus the gpu can't pursue higher boost.
The only way around that is to mod the card - not recommended, unless you know what you're doing.

There will almost always be one reason or other that the gpu can't boost higher.

Last edited:

Aryatikku

Prominent
Mar 28, 2020
Max FPS are determined by the CPU. How good they are presented visually is determined by the GPU.

Bottom line is that if your CPU (and ram, SSD, windows version, drivers, bios and game patches) are different, then you won't get the same FPS with the ones you see on YouTube. Of course overclocking is another think you need to consider.

So, what are your full system specs?
r5 2600
rtx 3060
newest windows
32 gb 3000 ram
the benchmark had the same cpu and gpu idk about anything else but those wouldnt affect frames by cutting them in half right