[SOLVED] FPS stuck at 50-65FPS. Need help

Dylan_2

Honorable
Sep 7, 2015
I've been having this issue for a few days now and I'll list below what I've tried to do to fix it, but I'm at the point of just putting up with it.

My FPS in most games are stuck at 50-65fps. Regardless of what settings I change within the game. I can max out every graphic slider or I can set the game to the lowest options available. Even reducing the resolution to 720p... the FPS stays between 50-65.

What I've tried:

1. Turning V-sync off within NVIDIA control panel
  2. Setting the PC power to maximum performance
  3. Overclocking my CPU and GPU
  4. Uninstalled drivers using DDU and then performing a fresh install of the latest drivers and also rolling back to previous versions
  5. Updated my BIOS
  6. Updated all chipset and peripheral drivers
  7. Removing every component and cleaning out the ports, removing all the dust.
  8. Tried Full-Screen, Windowed, Boredless and every other option
  9. Turning G-Sync on and off
  10. Making sure my Monitor is set to 144hz
  11. Windows is up to date
My Specs:
Ryzen R5 1600x
Zotac RTX 2060 Dual Fan
Asrock AB350 Pro4 Motherboard
2×8GB Corsair Value Select DDR4 2400mhz RAM (Running in Dual Channel)
500GB WD Black NVME SSD
1TB WD Blue HDD
LG 32GK650F-B 1440p @144hz Monitor
Windows 10 Pro

Games affected/tested:
Warzone
Horizon Zero Dawn
Red Dead Redemption 2
Star Wars Fallen Order

My temperatures while gaming are low
GPU: 65°C
CPU: 55°C

Which is lower than what it use to be before this problem. My GPU use to get to about 80°C and my CPU to 65°C.

The thing I've noticed while gaming and monitoring the games using MSI Afterburner and Nvidia Performance Overlay is that although my GPU usage is between 80-99% my CPU usage is never more than 50%... It never use to be like that.

I performed a PassMark test and my CPU scored "8265" where as the quoted score for my CPU should be around "13 000". Is the CPU on its way out? Other than gaming the PC works perfectly and boots up as normal. During the PassMark test my CPU usage is maxed out and the power draw is around 100W which is its rated power draw under load.

I'm trying to get another CPU from one of my friends to put that into the system and see if the problem persist, but it's going to take a week or so before I can get my hands on it, so I'm looking for any other suggestions I could try.

My last ditch attempt will be a fresh windows install which I don't particularly want to do.

Any suggestions would be appreciated

Solution
The fact that setting a game to its lowest possible graphical settings and reducing the resolution to as low as it can go and still get the same FPS shows that there is something wrong.
Usually means youre cpu bound in games. You have 2400mhz ram and a 1600x. Slow ram is already a no no for ryzen cpus, and especially the earlier ones like you have. A 2x8gb 3200-3600mhz kit cl16/18 should give a decent boost in performance i would think
Edit: although you did mention your gpu is constantly at very high usage, which would actually dismiss everything i just said. Hmm

Ralston18

Titan
PSU now being about 4 years could be showing signs of its age. Nearing its designed in EOL (End of Life).

And 450 watts is, in my mind, a bit on the low side for your build.

What may be happening is that, during game play, there some peak power demands that the PSU cannot support.

Your GPU starts with a recommended 500 watt PSU.

Reference:

https://www.zotac.com/us/product/graphics_card/zotac-gaming-geforce-rtx-2060-twin-fan#spec

Overtime the PSU has been constantly required to provide max power requirements and is now beginning to degrade faster.

All in all, the PSU could go at anytime....

Do you have all important data backed up, proven recoverable and readable?

A PSU related system crash could cause data corruption and loss.

Dylan_2

Honorable
Sep 7, 2015
PSU now being about 4 years could be showing signs of its age. Nearing its designed in EOL (End of Life).

What may be happening is that, during game play, there some peak power demands that the PSU cannot support.

Reference:

https://www.zotac.com/us/product/graphics_card/zotac-gaming-geforce-rtx-2060-twin-fan#spec

Overtime the PSU has been constantly required to provide max power requirements and is now beginning to degrade faster.

I will be ordering a new PSU before the end of the day. A 750W should be enough and allow enough headroom to not stress the PSU with my current build.

I did think it was a Power issue at a stage as at times the power draw of the GPU in games dropped to 50%.

All important data is backed up on an external and a laptop. My build is old, so it is due for an upgrade. Will start with the PSU and take it from there

Dylan_2

Honorable
Sep 7, 2015

Reference:

So I've ordered a new PSU, it was time for that upgrade.

But wouldn't a faulty PSU just shutdown the entire system if it can't provide enough power to the components? Even if it is nearing the end of its life, I would think that there would be other indications that would show it.

Ralston18

Titan
PSU's provide different voltages (3, 5, 12) to various components.

And if the PSU is unable to provide any given voltage (within the allowed tolerance range) then the components serviced by that voltage will have problems with the likelihood that other components will suffer some impact as well.

PSU's can be tested to some extent. Not a full test because the PSU is not under load.

FYI:

https://www.lifewire.com/how-to-manually-test-a-power-supply-with-a-multimeter-2626158

Dylan_2

Honorable
Sep 7, 2015
PSU's provide different voltages (3, 5, 12) to various components.

And if the PSU is unable to provide any given voltage (within the allowed tolerance range) then the components serviced by that voltage will have problems with the likelihood that other components will suffer some impact as well.

PSU's can be tested to some extent. Not a full test because the PSU is not under load.

FYI:

https://www.lifewire.com/how-to-manually-test-a-power-supply-with-a-multimeter-2626158
So I have now installed a brand new Cooler Master MWE White 750W power supply... With the same result. Performance is just as bad as it was before.

Any other suggestions I could try?

Ralston18

Titan
Reading back:

1.) Is Game Mode enabled in Windows?

(Type "Game mode" in the 'Type here to search' box.) Check configuration settings.

2.) How/what are you using to view the frame rates? Steam's Frame Rate Counter, GPU Control Panel via HUD? Other?

3.) Experiment with changing image quality. Just a small adjustment or two (as applicable and available) may make a difference with minimal loss of image quality and detail.

Dylan_2

Honorable
Sep 7, 2015
Reading back:

1.) Is Game Mode enabled in Windows?

(Type "Game mode" in the 'Type here to search' box.) Check configuration settings.

2.) How/what are you using to view the frame rates? Steam's Frame Rate Counter, GPU Control Panel via HUD? Other?

3.) Experiment with changing image quality. Just a small adjustment or two (as applicable and available) may make a difference with minimal loss of image quality and detail.
I have tried it with Game Mode on and off. In the advanced settings I have tried Hardware Acceleration on and off and Variable Refresh rate on and off

I use either the specific games in-game FPS counter (if it has one) or I use Nvidia Overlay or I run a games benchmark to double check if the counters are correct (They always are)

I have experimented with different graphical settings. I have made minor changes and also major changes. Even turning the resolution down to 720p does not change anything. The FPS stays in the high 60s.

Dylan_2

Honorable
Sep 7, 2015
Belated questions:

What fps are you expecting or trying to achieve? Basis?

Have you tried or otherwise experimented with any 3D configuration settings via the applicable Zotac Control Panel?
I'm not looking to achieve a specific FPS number. I mean I get 60fps at 1440p, which is perfectly playable. But the problem is that in certain games I use to get 100+fps or high 80s and now I've lost about 30% performance for no reason. The fact that setting a game to its lowest possible graphical settings and reducing the resolution to as low as it can go and still get the same FPS shows that there is something wrong.

I'm in the process of getting another CPU to test against mine. My CPU "Passmark" results are in the low 8000, where according to the baseline it should be in the high 12 000. Makes me think that maybe there is an issue with the CPU.

I have not tried the Zotac Control Panel yet, I'm not even sure if they have one. I'll experiment with that today and post the results

johnsoner13

Respectable
The fact that setting a game to its lowest possible graphical settings and reducing the resolution to as low as it can go and still get the same FPS shows that there is something wrong.
Usually means youre cpu bound in games. You have 2400mhz ram and a 1600x. Slow ram is already a no no for ryzen cpus, and especially the earlier ones like you have. A 2x8gb 3200-3600mhz kit cl16/18 should give a decent boost in performance i would think
Edit: although you did mention your gpu is constantly at very high usage, which would actually dismiss everything i just said. Hmm

Solution

Dylan_2

Honorable
Sep 7, 2015
I am slowly in the process of upgrading each component. I've just upgraded the PSU and I've been looking at a 5600x CPU. Which will most probably mean a Motherboard and Memory upgrade aswell. But the fact that I lost nearly 30% performance with no clear reason why bugs me to the core. Like I said above, I do have a slightly slower 1600 non X version CPU coming from a friend (was in his previous build) which I'm going to test in my system, if I see an improvement across all benchmarks and games then clearly it was a CPU issue.

johnsoner13

Respectable
I am slowly in the process of upgrading each component. I've just upgraded the PSU and I've been looking at a 5600x CPU. Which will most probably mean a Motherboard and Memory upgrade aswell. But the fact that I lost nearly 30% performance with no clear reason why bugs me to the core. Like I said above, I do have a slightly slower 1600 non X version CPU coming from a friend (was in his previous build) which I'm going to test in my system, if I see an improvement across all benchmarks and games then clearly it was a CPU issue.
Okay. But like I said, it could be unlikely that it’s your CPU since you said your GPU is constantly at high usage. But i guess it doesnt hurt to try