FPS1000? crap?

G

What are the differences between Creative Labs FPS1000, FPS1500, FPS1800, FPS200 speakers? I have Sound Blaster Live! Value and FPS1000 seems like a nice choice but does it produce some nice sound? If I will turn BASS all the way and VOLUME all the way up will I hear clear sound? or it will be horrible? is it any good fro games?

FatBurger

Illustrious
They'll probably distort all the way up, but they'll be loud enough so you don't have to turn them up all the way.

------------------------------
Apple? Macintosh? What are these strange words you speak?

G

how about FPS1500??? I know in order to hear surround sound I must put 2 speakers somewhere in front, 2 behind and subwoofer on the floor, but I can't set 2 speakers behind at all, my table is in the corner, just NO way possible, will it be OK surround thingy if I put 2 in front and 2 on left and right side???

FatBurger

Illustrious
Yeah, it'll work. Not perfectly, but pretty well. You'll just have to adjust that in your settings. I don't know how, but you should be able to figure it out.
The more you can put them behind you the better (even just a little bet back from perfetcly to the side will help).

G

Ok I'm set with that, but I neve heard how FPS1000 sound like, I don't need super quality, but GOOD sounding speakers. I like to set BASS to the highest and HATE when it distorts, I'll use them for games and I turn the volume to normal, but BASS to MAX. My current speakers (no subwoofer) have AWFUL bass, but FPS1000 have a subwoofer which is SPEACIALLY for bass so it shouldn't distort, but the guy replied that at MAX it WILL distort, but i don't know if he ment BASS or VOLUME? I need some opinions who used FPS1000 for games! I bought my speakers for $40 and those seems to be so good for $39?? hm....

Spdy_Gonzales

Distinguished
Mar 9, 2001
You should be aware that Creative FPS stands for four point surround. That is not true surround sound. It is intended for games. I expect that they would be loud...but just about all computer speaker systems will introduce distortion if played at full blast. Anyway, I don't think you will want to play them at full blast for very long anyway. From what I have read in reviews these Creative speaker systems essentially have progressively higher watts, but you would probably derive as much satisfaction from the FPS1000 as from the FPS2000, especially considering that the FPS1000 can be had for under $40 and the FPS2000 is around $129. A Creative or Altec Lansing 3 piece system would probably be good enough, and available for under $40.

If you want true surround sound you need at least the Creative DTT2200, around $129, and a sound card capable of producing 5.1 surround sound.

I wonder...what is the speed of gravity?

G

why is that? I don't have 5.1 sound card. i have Sound Blaster live ! value and it supports 4.1 surround sound. Why is 4.1 not true surround? most ppl say for games I DON'T need 5.1. I need 5 piece surround. and does your "BLAST" means BASS? i don't need LOUD but MAX bass. I wish I could afford Kilpsch 4.1 speakers. By the way are they gonna make them 5.1? I'm greedy to spend those $60(FPS1800 and 2000 - NO WAY!) for FPS1500 speakers, and buying 5.1 system with 4.1 card - no sense! and about not true surround sound, even my 2 speakers have this LIE 3d botton that makes some 3d (a little surround) sound! so if FPS1000 has progressively higher watts, it should mean good, right? my friend has 2.1 system and his speakers ARE CRAP, he has built in AC'97 sound though, but they don't sound 3d! and I need speakers JUST for playing games like DeusEx, Q3A and Diablo2

G

Well maybe I don't need MAX bass, but some nice boom sound under my feet (not VERY boom that it will vibrate!)

arsend

Distinguished
Apr 10, 2001
I have several friende that Use the Altec lansing speakers and they enjoy them very much, I, as you have read in other posts, enjoy high quality sound from my surround sound system, but everything comes with a price.

If it works for you then don't fix it.

G

Ah, which ones and how much do they cost? All Altec speakers that were recomended to me are 2.1 but I need 4.1! Do you any like those?

Spdy_Gonzales

Distinguished
Mar 9, 2001
Well, if you have 4.1 surround card, then the FPS1000 might work for you. I tried a 4 speaker system on my pc, but was not impressed with the surround sound effect as compared with my "old, but still good" Pioneer Audio/Video Receiver dolby surround sound system, so I returned them. ( I like local stores that have a 30 day, no questions asked return policy). So the upshot of this is that I am planning to get new speakers for my computer, and I will probably decide on a 3 piece set but, the Creative FPS1000 is still in the running.

http://computers.cnet.com/hardware/0-7074-404-130301.html

http://www.epinions.com/cmhd-Speakers-All-Creative_Labs_PCWorks_FourPointSurround_FPS1000

if you want more, do a search on FPS1000, FPS2000

G

What sound card and pc do you have? and what do you mean FPS100) is still running? meaning you have it and run them? or that it will work for me? I know that first sound blaster card that supports 4.1 surround sound is 128PCI I think

Spdy_Gonzales

Distinguished
Mar 9, 2001
I have the Sound Blaster PCI128 bought 3 or 4 years ago. I want to buy new speakers. I will buy either a 3 piece system or the Creative FPS1000. I am still considering the FPS1000 because of its bargain price. It's under $38 at Amazon.com, but they are out of stock.

FatBurger

Illustrious
You should be aware that Creative FPS stands for four point surround. That is not true surround sound
Four points will give a good environment as far as thinking the sound is actually coming from over your left shoulder, or to your right, or whatever. Most games, movies and music that are done in surround, however, are done in 5.1. That doesn't mean it won't work in 4.1, it'll work pretty well. But for a small increase in money, you can get a large increase in quality.

G

OK. I won't buy anything untill September anyway, you buy FPS1000 (if it your choice and tell me how are they? ok?) I know now they are P off and acctually cost around $100 before that!

G

so most games use 4.1 or 5.1? You see, if it would the ONLY thing I nee to upgrade then I'd go for SB Live! platinum +5.1, and FTP3500, but I'm not crazy about sound but know that using my SB Live! Value card just with 2 spears is not using the full power of 3d sound! and what do you mean by saying that the sound will come from the rigt speaker? that's not right? I want ALL 4 SPEAKERS BE IN USE! (in games). maybe I don't get something, can ya explain?

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
The only sound card I know of that gives you four way sound form two speakers is the Aureal Vortex2. It does this by modifying the pitch and reverb of the front and rear channels to aproximate the variations heard by the human ear as soundwaves interact with it. It then combines the front and rear and outputs them to the front channel. It works well.

Cast not thine pearls before the swine

G

I have something like that, but 4.1 should work better. I just found out I can't set 2 speakers behind me and even on the sides, it will closer to the front...bad..well maybe my sis will hold them while I'm playing...:)