Fractal Define R5 Window vs Windowless

NeoPhyRe

Reputable
May 5, 2015
Okay, so I've come across an interesting situation. The Fractal Define R5 both with and without the window is currently $99.99 on newegg. The thing is, I have no space on my desk for a case. In fact, the only place I have is on the left side under my desk against a side panel (part of the desk). In other words, I wouldn't see the window anyway.

So what would be the better choice, get the windowed one in case I happen to get a much bigger desk in the future (not something I'm planning on doing right now) or get the windowless one and potentially have another slot for a fan in the future as well as a quieter case (if it really is quieter without the window)?

Lucas Mitchell

Reputable
May 31, 2014
I would suggest that you just go with the windowed version. Yes you aren't gonna see it to often, but you could put some led strips in the case to make it light up. In that case ( no pun intended) you would see the components easier. Beside the windowed version is still very silent and not that more extensive. The only way I could imagine it being loud would be if you stuck a ton of fans in the case.

NeoPhyRe

Reputable
May 5, 2015

Thanks for the reply and all, but I already bought the non windowed one 2 weeks ago. Also, at the time the windowed and non windowed one cost the same amount.

Lord Darren

Honorable
Apr 8, 2013
Since the side panel is removable it's possible you could simply buy the windowed side panel on ebay or something if you change your mind two years down the road. I have the windowless case, no regrets.