Question Fractal Nano S new PC build - GPU/PSU clearance

mikecs333

Honorable
Sep 4, 2013
Hi,

I plan on building my first PC with this case. I would put an i7-9700k and a RTX2080 (still not decided on model). I will do a bit of overclocking on the cpu with a cpu cooler but not on the gpu and I plan to use the case stock fans. Some people seem to have concerns high temperatures because of the the GPU/PSU clearance and I was wondering if it's really a problem with the setup I want. Should I consider another case?

thanks for your help!

Barty1884

Retired Moderator
It might be.

Cases that mount the GPU directly above the PSU do tend to run a bit warmer. I had an EvolvITX at one point, and the GPU ran a fair bit louder to compensate for the relative lack of airflow.

Another thing to note, will be GPU width. A lot of newer, higher end hards are >2slot cards (2.5 slot etc)... which will likely be problematic with the PSU being right there. I believe the NanoS 2slot cards, max.

If I were you, I'd look to a larger case in all honesty.

Last edited:

mikecs333

Honorable
Sep 4, 2013
Ok thanks!

Do you have a case to recommend? I liked the Nano S because of it's size and the neutral aesthetics (I'm not into christmas trees PCs) since I want to put it in my living room

Barty1884

Retired Moderator
Anything with the same kind of footprint, is likely to utilize the same layout.

Unless it needs to be that specific height, I'd maybe consider something like a MeshifyC Mini. Similar aesthetics, but mATX giving has more room allowing for better airflow/cooling. For the living room, better airflow = cooler GPU (or same temps at lower fan speeds)... which is probably better suited for the room noisewise.

Nano S
  • Case dimensions (WxHxD): 203 x 330 x 400mm
Meshify Mini C
Case dimensions (LxWxH)395 x 212 x 399 mm

Anything with the same kind of footprint, is likely to utilize the same layout.

Unless it needs to be that specific height, I'd maybe consider something like a MeshifyC Mini. Similar aesthetics, but mATX giving has more room allowing for better airflow/cooling. For the living room, better airflow = cooler GPU (or same temps at lower fan speeds)... which is probably better suited for the room noisewise.

Nano S
  • Case dimensions (WxHxD): 203 x 330 x 400mm
Meshify Mini C
Case dimensions (LxWxH)395 x 212 x 399 mm
Node 804 wouldn't be a bad choice for a mATX either.
http://www.fractal-design.com/home/product/cases/node-series/node-804

Barty1884

Retired Moderator
Also, depending how small you want to go, and how much planning you want to do, you could go with something like a Silverstone RVZ02B

Needs to use an SFX (or SFX-L) PSU and needs consideration for a CPU cooler.... but a little more console-like, and living room friendly.

mikecs333

Honorable
Sep 4, 2013
Silverstone might be complicated for me. It's the first time I build a PC so I prefer to keep it simple. I don't want to put too much money either. The No 804 is interesting but I wish there was a version without the window... I might go for the mini C. It's weird because the Nano S has a lot of good reviews but no one talks about that GPU/PSU clearance being a problem... I was really happy because the size was perfect and the price too so I'm kind of disapointed haha

Barty1884

Retired Moderator
The thing is, the temperatures should be "fine".
Nobody buys into a case like that expecting the temperatures to be ideal, and they're unlikely to be too horrible, jsut a little warmer & louder than if you had some more space to work in.

Might be worth testing it out, and see how it works for you? Ultimately, you should be able to sell a NanoS without losing too much money on it... so try it out, see how it works for you, and replace it if necessary.