[SOLVED] Frame drop and underperformance ?

jakevd

Reputable
Jan 18, 2017
I recently upgraded my CPU to an i9 9900kf from a ryzen 7 2700x, i kept my 1660 gpu and my 16 gb's of ram. Immediately after installing the parts and booting up, I noticed severe performance issues, I run my games at high FPS (in valorant around 250, and rust around 110) but i experience awful stuttering and frame drops while playing. I tried reinstalling drivers, I checked temps which were normal, enabled XMP on my RAM, but still no luck. I went to the extreme of wiping my hardrives buyhing windows and starting fresh as I thought it might be a hardrive issue possibily even software. I am currently running off of one SSD now and everything else about the computer runs great. Boot time is fast, running aplications is fast. But the issue is only when playing games. My CPU usage in task manager stays at highest sub 50% so I do not know what my issue could be. Any help would be great

Solution
Are you getting great FPS and then it's dropping randomly, or is it consistently bad FPS?

Check to see if the games are using the dedicated video card, or the integrated motherboard video chip.

Install an older video driver, see if that helps.

revodo

Proper
BANNED
Jun 10, 2021
Are you getting great FPS and then it's dropping randomly, or is it consistently bad FPS?

Check to see if the games are using the dedicated video card, or the integrated motherboard video chip.

Solution

jakevd

Reputable
Jan 18, 2017

I am getting great fps then awful drops, how would i check to see if the games are using dedicated video card. Also would i have to uninstall the current driver i have in order to install an older one.

revodo

Proper
BANNED
Jun 10, 2021
I am getting great fps then awful drops, how would i check to see if the games are using dedicated video card. Also would i have to uninstall the current driver i have in order to install an older one.

Yes. Graphics driver should automatically uninstall and reinstall whatever version you download. If you run into problems, you can try booting into safe mode and using DDU.

jakevd

Reputable
Jan 18, 2017
Yes. Graphics driver should automatically uninstall and reinstall whatever version you download. If you run into problems, you can try booting into safe mode and using DDU.
okay im installing a version from earlier in the year, im hoping this fixes the issue cause new hardware is not affordable