• Pardon our dust as we work on some regularly scheduled forum maintenance. You may notice some missing features during this time. Thank you for your patience!

Question Frame drop due to CPU issues?

Aug 23, 2019
Current setup:

CPU: i7 4770k - stock clock
CPU cooler: Corsair Double fan all in one water cooling (dont remember specific model)
Motherboard: Asus Z97-a
GPU: Asus Nvidia 1070ti ROG
Ram: 16 GB Corsair Vengence DDR3
Power Supply: EVGA 700W 80+ Gold

Edit
Novabench scores CPU: 757 Ram: 231, GPU: 790

TLDR at end

So recently I have started getting times where my system will freeze for like half of a second to one second. This mainly happens in game where the frames will drop from 100+ to 5-10, even typing this I would get a 1-2 second delay on typing and full words would just appear all at once. During these freezes I have glanced at my task manager and the CPU and RAM do not seem to max out. Main game I am playing is league of legends, which was fine 2 months ago along with various other steam games. My temps are great on my CPU and GPU only hitting 49 degrees C and 56 degrees C respectively. Now for the most important information, before I got my new CPU cooler last fall, I was using just an air to air basic cooler that either wasn't installed right or had partially failed. My CPU temps were hitting 100+ degrees C without my knowledge. This I assume had been going on for an extended period of time and during this time I never got the blue screen. Now I had assumed originally my old graphics card was the issue being a reference model 780 that was also running at very high temps. But even with this new card I am having the same issues. So is it possible that I have somewhat killed my CPU?

TLDR: Ran CPU @ 100+ C for unknown amount of time, now temps are fine and still getting frame drop in games. Did I kill my CPU?

mandeep57

Reputable
Feb 14, 2015
100 C is dangerous.
You said screen freezes even when you typing so i would say just remove your gpu and check if it solves the problem or not or atleast it will roll out your Gpu and u will know tht cpu is main problem

Aug 23, 2019
Also just for reassurance the I7 4770k should still be able to handle today's games correct? And yes I know that the temperature is dangerous but I was dumb and kept playing games for a period of time. So not sure how long it had been exposed to that temp, could have been months. If I need a new processor I guess I can just try and find a 4790k

iiSlashr

Great
Mar 10, 2019
Also just for reassurance the I7 4770k should still be able to handle today's games correct? And yes I know that the temperature is dangerous but I was dumb and kept playing games for a period of time. So not sure how long it had been exposed to that temp, could have been months. If I need a new processor I guess I can just try and find a 4790k
Yes, from what I've read the 4770k shouldn't be having these problems. Good luck in your CPU search!

ASK THE COMMUNITY

TRENDING THREADS