[SOLVED] Frame drop due to CPU issues?

Aug 23, 2019
Current setup:

CPU: i7 4770k - stock clock
CPU cooler: Corsair Double fan all in one water cooling (dont remember specific model)
Motherboard: Asus Z97-a
GPU: Asus Nvidia 1070ti ROG
Ram: 16 GB Corsair Vengence DDR3
Power Supply: EVGA 700W 80+ Gold

Edit
Novabench scores CPU: 757 Ram: 231, GPU: 790

TLDR at end

So recently I have started getting times where my system will freeze for like half of a second to one second. This mainly happens in game where the frames will drop from 100+ to 5-10, even typing this I would get a 1-2 second delay on typing and full words would just appear all at once. During these freezes I have glanced at my task manager and the CPU and RAM do not seem to max out. Main game I am playing is league of legends, which was fine 2 months ago along with various other steam games. My temps are great on my CPU and GPU only hitting 49 degrees C and 56 degrees C respectively. Now for the most important information, before I got my new CPU cooler last fall, I was using just an air to air basic cooler that either wasn't installed right or had partially failed. My CPU temps were hitting 100+ degrees C without my knowledge. This I assume had been going on for an extended period of time and during this time I never got the blue screen. Now I had assumed originally my old graphics card was the issue being a reference model 780 that was also running at very high temps. But even with this new card I am having the same issues. So is it possible that I have somewhat killed my CPU?

TLDR: Ran CPU @ 100+ C for unknown amount of time, now temps are fine and still getting frame drop in games. Did I kill my CPU?

Solution
Also just for reassurance the I7 4770k should still be able to handle today's games correct? And yes I know that the temperature is dangerous but I was dumb and kept playing games for a period of time. So not sure how long it had been exposed to that temp, could have been months. If I need a new processor I guess I can just try and find a 4790k
Yes, from what I've read the 4770k shouldn't be having these problems. Good luck in your CPU search!

mandeep57

Honorable
Feb 14, 2015
100 C is dangerous.
You said screen freezes even when you typing so i would say just remove your gpu and check if it solves the problem or not or atleast it will roll out your Gpu and u will know tht cpu is main problem

Aug 23, 2019
Also just for reassurance the I7 4770k should still be able to handle today's games correct? And yes I know that the temperature is dangerous but I was dumb and kept playing games for a period of time. So not sure how long it had been exposed to that temp, could have been months. If I need a new processor I guess I can just try and find a 4790k

iiSlashr

Reputable
Mar 10, 2019
Yes, from what I've read the 4770k shouldn't be having these problems. Good luck in your CPU search!

Solution