[SOLVED] Frame drops

Dennis_98

Reputable
May 13, 2017
www.userbenchmark.com
So I recently upgraded to a 3800x and a 2070 super, everything works fine in the beginning, but recently, I had issues with frames dropping. When I first installed my new parts I was getting about 150 fps on madden 20 with everything on ultra, well mostly everything and on Modern Warfare I was getting about the same with ultra settings. But recently, I've experience the fps doing to like 70-80 on Madden 20 and around 90 on Modern Warfare. At first I thought it was because I left my PC on, but that wasn't the issue because when I first built my PC there were times where i left it on and it worked fine. I tried restarting my computer sometimes, it brings the FPS back up to 150, but other times after a restart it stays the same. I've ran the same userbenchmarks after the fps drops happened, but it says everything is running fine. When I am getting 150 fps in both games, i am not experience any frame drops, but it only happens after awhile it's very inconsistent, which is weird. I also tried changing my NVIDIA control panel settings, it fixed it, but after a while when I hop back on to play, the FPS drops again. I've checked the temps on my CPU and GPU and everything seems to be normal. I do have to mention that I did reinstall my drivers through device management before this whole thing started to happen because I read somewhere that when you change GPUs, you should reinstall the GPU drivers as a whole. I think the issue came from after I reinstalled the drivers, but once again I am not too sure. As far as settings go, I've kept the same settings on both games the way it was since when I first started playing the games. This is a link for you guys to look at my build and the benchmarks that I got recently. https://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/21609174

Solution
Is the FPS negatively affecting your actual visual performance?

-Some of the latest NVIDIA drivers have been causing various issues, so could always be this.
  • I would also verify what and any background applications or services that might be running and consuming resource.
  • Generic useful things too: Disk cleanup, malware scans, TRIM, defrag etc.

PC Tailor

Illustrious
Ambassador
  • Did you install the latest NVIDIA drivers directly from NVIDIA or just let the Windows update take care of them?
  • What temperatures are you reaching on CPU and GPU under load?
  • Do you have latest BIOS installed?
  • Do you have other drivers updated? (Including MB/Chipset - NOT using a driver updater app)

Dennis_98

Reputable
May 13, 2017
www.userbenchmark.com
  • Did you install the latest NVIDIA drivers directly from NVIDIA or just let the Windows update take care of them?
  • What temperatures are you reaching on CPU and GPU under load?
  • Do you have latest BIOS installed?
  • Do you have other drivers updated? (Including MB/Chipset - NOT using a driver updater app)
Yeah I installed the drivers from GeForce Experience after I uninstalled it with the Device Manager. Temps for CPU was around 60 and GPU is around 50 when I running either games. And as far as BIOS and all the other drivers, I've already installed those after I installed the 3800x and 2070S, which was about a month ago.

PC Tailor

Illustrious
Ambassador

-Some of the latest NVIDIA drivers have been causing various issues, so could always be this.
  • I would also verify what and any background applications or services that might be running and consuming resource.

Solution

Dennis_98

Reputable
May 13, 2017
www.userbenchmark.com

Yes it is visual lag, I will try the disk cleanup and defrag and etc., but I just find it weird that sometimes it happens and sometimes it doesn't. When I have 150 fps in both games, it maintains that fps, but let's say I go out and come back in a couple of hours and I play the games again, that's usually when the FPS drops.

PC Tailor

Illustrious
Ambassador
May be worth monitoring CPU, GPU, RAM and DISK usage whilst in the games and see if there is any crossover between the drops and % usage. Just remember you want to watch each individual CPU core, not the overall package.

Following that, some people find latencymon can be useful to help diagnose some issues.