May 31, 2020
Hey! I'm relatively new to the custom PC community, so excuse me if I don't know the appropriate terms for what I'm about to describe below.

TL;DR: Built a PC myself 3 weeks ago. Encountering random frame rate / GPU power spikes and I've encountered 5 BSoDs so far. Tried many different solutions, no luck.

Specs:

i9 9900k 3.6 ghz 8-Core
Corsair H115i RGB PLATINUM 97 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler
Asus ROG STRIX Z390-E Motherboard
Corsair Dominator Platinum 32GB (2PK 16GB) 3.0GHz DDR4
Samsung 970 Evo 1 TB M.2-2280 NVME
NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER 8 GB
EVGA 850 GQ 850W 80 Plus Gold Semi-Modular Power Supply

So I built my first PC about 3 weeks ago, May 9th to be exact. It turned out great. First build, riding high. All was well. I first noticed some severe frame rate drops while playing Subnautica: Below Zero. I would get an occasional game freeze that would last for about a second or two. I've played the Subnautica full release on Xbox One, and would encounter the same game freezes occasionally. So I just figured it was the game, Below Zero still being in early development and all.

However, one day as I'm booting up Below Zero, my computer crashes completely (BSoD). I had only Chrome open, with 2 tabs, one of which was YouTube. Not a huge load on my CPU or anything right? So I just brush it off. I then tried a few more games, Deliver Us the Moon, Divison 2, Green Hell, DiRT Rally, COD Warzone. It was hit and miss.

I encountered another BSoD when I paused Deliver Us the Moon one day, for example. But Division 2 / COD Warzone ran great, with no issues. I enabled the XMP I profile, and boosted my Ram up to 3.0GHZ, but that's all I did in terms of overclocking. I haven't overclocked my CPU at all. I'm not sure what to do at this point honestly.

Things I've tried to help diagnose / fix the problem:

• Ran Memtest86, no issues found
  • Reset BIOS settings to default, still encountered frame rate / GPU power dips
  • Installed MSI Afterburner to monitor GPU / CPU temps, looked normal (GPU: 78 degrees max at 98% power, CPU: 50-60 degrees while gaming)
  • Wiped GPU drivers using DDU + clean install, no luck.
  • Tried stress testing my CPU with Prime95 (Blend), encountered another BSoD (max temp: 60 degrees) Tried again (Smallest FFT s) CPU shot up to 90 degrees almost immediately, so I stopped it.
  • Adjusted Windows power settings to High Performance.
I took a few screenshots of some graphs on MSI Afterburner during a quick session playing Minecraft Dungeons. I've circled the FPS / Power dips in red.

View: https://imgur.com/NeY7jqD

View: https://imgur.com/LcqDzeO

Any help with this would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

Edit: Spelling, and I've added screenshots of my Minidump files analyzed with WhoCrashed below:

View: https://imgur.com/2c9ZBkU

View: https://imgur.com/rKdEXiY

Edit #2: Contacted Nvidia customer support via chat and they mentioned I was on an older version of Windows (1903) and that I should update. Updated to 2004 but I'm still experiencing stutters and freezes. Minecraft Dungeons has crashed on me twice already. After closing out the game, I'm unable to launch any other game.

Edit #3: Experienced another crash while playing Green Hell. Session lasted about 3 hours in an air conditioned room. Monitored temps closely, nothing out of the ordinary. 70 degrees tops for GPU, 50 degrees tops for CPU. Attempted to re launch game + another game after closing Green Hell post crash and no other game would launch.

Last edited:
May 31, 2020
Have you tried a bios update? You could be on a buggy early revision.

Hey! Thanks for the reply! That was actually one of the first actions I took to try and solve the problem. I probably should have included this in the "Things I've tried" section in my original post, sorry about that. I'm on version 1502, which is the latest version for the Z390-E.

I've also ran Furmark and Intel Processor Diagnostic Tool since my last edit (Passed). I have no idea what's causing the issue.