Question Framerate stuttering across all of Windows

Mar 7, 2023
This is happening throughout Windows 11 but can be more clearly shown here in Overwatch 2. This has been happening for a while so over time I changed out my CPU (which stopped the whole system from freezing randomly every few minutes + this same issue), GPU, RAM sticks, PSU, MOBO, clean install and upgrade to WIndows 11 on a new M.2 drive - and yet this issue persists. Unsure what is causing it. I'm thinking the clock rate of the RAM sticks being 4000 but system going at 2400. Ive tried to enable XMP but then it either wont post or goes to blue screen or restarts if it does. Maybe im missing steps on how to get it to 4000? I have tried only using 2 RAM sticks but still had the same issue. Have updated all drivers and BIOS.

Build:
CPU - Intel Core i9-9900KF @ 3.60Hz
RAM - TForce VulcanZ 16GB DDR4 4000MHz x3 for 48GB in slots 1,2, 3. Speed is however set to 2400MHz
GPU - GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 3070 Ti Gaming OC 8GB
MOBO - GIGABYTE Z390 AORUS MASTER LGA 1151 (300 Series) Intel Z390
PSU - Corsair RM1000x (2021) 80 PLUS Gold

Example video of the issue -
View: https://youtu.be/efyaGgwnpXE
Here you can clearly see frames dropping from 236 (I have them capped at 240 as refresh rate is 240Hz) to as low as 101, however it mostly seems to drop to 201 then bounce back.

Last edited:

Lutfij

Titan
clean install and upgrade to WIndows 11 on a new M.2 drive
Am I right to assume you installed Windows 10 first and then upgraded to Windows 11 using the internmnal upgrade path? If so, you should create a bootable USB installer for Windows 11, using Windows Media Creation Tools, then install the OS afresh, while offline.

Prior to installing the OS, make sure you've downloaded all drivers relevant to your platform and have them handy on a pen drive. Once you've successfully installed your OS, install all drivers in an elevated command, i.e, Right click installer>Run as Administrator.

Mar 7, 2023
clean install and upgrade to WIndows 11 on a new M.2 drive
Am I right to assume you installed Windows 10 first and then upgraded to Windows 11 using the internmnal upgrade path? If so, you should create a bootable USB installer for Windows 11, using Windows Media Creation Tools, then install the OS afresh, while offline.

Prior to installing the OS, make sure you've downloaded all drivers relevant to your platform and have them handy on a pen drive. Once you've successfully installed your OS, install all drivers in an elevated command, i.e, Right click installer>Run as Administrator.
No actually. Initially booted up to windows 10, it was running fin but now gave me the option to upgrade so I installed and upgraded to windows 11 but it failed part way through and kept returning me to a Windows repair screen. so then I had to make a bootable with WIn11 and installed fully clean. updating drivers afterwards

Latest posts