Question PC freezes under light load

Sep 29, 2024
Hello.
Not knowing where to ask for assistance it seemed to me like tom's hardware was the place with the most smart and helpful people. Therefor I am here to try find what can be my problem. I am really sorry if post is messy but looking forward to any good suggestions. Hopefully my post is understandable despite it being quite messy.

So I have had my pc for 3 years now and it used to work perfectly until it started giving me random infrequent crashes starting back to at least 2nd of March this year.

However crashes become more frequent over the last 2 months. At first it was crashes/reboots without blue screen and a few blue screens.
Whenever my pc crashed without giving me a blue screen I noticed the event viewer having WHEA-Logger with the type all with error type either Cache Hierarchy Error or Bus/Interconnect Error.

My specs are:
MB: ASUS TUF GAMING X570-PLUS
CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5900X
GPU: ZOTAC GeForce RTX 3070Ti AMP HOLO
Memory: G.Skill Trident Z Neo DDR4 3600Mhz 32 GB (2x16)
Disk: Corsair Force Series MP600 1TB M.2 SSD
PSU: Corsair RM750W PSU
CPU Cooler: Corsair Hydro H115i RGB Platinum
Extra Disk: WD Black SN850 2TB M.2 SSD

Looking through the internet I have been trying different things to try find out what could be the cause.
As the first time I noticed errors when PC would not boot being DRAM lightning on the MB. Knowing from past experiences this could be errors with the RAM, I removed it and insert it again and it worked again. However as problems did not disappear I started out trying to run only 1 memory stick but I still had problems after a while. So I tried the other stick and it also would have issues after a while. So I assumed it was not the memory itself being the issue so I tried different slots on the MB incase that was the problem and it also crashes after a while. So since I was running my memory on 2133Mhz I thought I might as well just enable DOCP and have it run on 3600Mhz. And from me used to have frequent crashes my pc ran well for several weeks believing I had resolved my issue. However it was not resolved. And as problems become more frequent I started trying to other things.

List of things I tried but that not helped:
Used single memory sticks and in different sockets.
Changed Memory to run at 3600Mhz instead of 2133Mhz
Updated BIOS. Screwed over things like BIOS suddenly giving me CPU fan warnings as I use AIO cooler. So I set it to ignore warnings since there is no CPU fan in use.
Reinstalled Windows from Windows 10 to a clean Windows 11. Which was troublesome because my pc kept freezing rebooting mid installation a few times.
Removed my M.2 disk with Windows 11 installed to try install Windows 10 on an old 2,5" SSD incase it was the disk being faulty. I thought it could be my disk since my PC rebooted when it was doing CHKDSK pre format and reinstall. But when I tried to install windows 10 I still had issues with reboots. So I determined my disk was not the issue.
Disconnected all cables from my PSU (both ends) and reconnected them.
Taking out my GPU only to find out my CPU does not have integrated GPU, so I could not test my PC without GPU.
Removal of CMOS battery.

I tried stresstesting my system with several software's. And tried to monitor temperature and fans to see if it could be any heating issue. But pc works fine under high loads and I even let my pc be in BIOS for like 2 days and it did not freeze or have any reboots. I ran MemTest86 4 times which came out with 0 issues. Unsure if temperature is fine. CPU idled on 50 degrees in the BIOS. Whenever I used to get bluescreen I used to get DPC_WATCHDOG_VIOLATION. However since PC seems to be fine under heavy loads I assume it was not temperature related.

So basically I wondering what people think will the most likely error component. And what I could to check. I was planning to check CPU and MB pins, but as I had no thermal paste laying around I did not have that option. I wonder why after removing CMOS battery and trying to restore to default settings in BIOS why the DOCP at 3600 still persisted so I let it be. However when I changed Memory around to other slots on the MB it went to 2133Mhz.

After installing Windows 11 I have had 1 WHEA-Logger error with BUS/Interconnect Error.
Sadly as I have given away my old pc to my nephew I do not have any spare parts laying around to test stuff. And besides that PC is so old most of the parts would not really work with my current pc.

As my PC only seem to have issues under low load, which is either when I am just browsing stuff. My PC is left on during nighttime or for example under Windows installation but works fine BIOS I am unsure where the fault it at. Since I am unable to replace parts as of right now I kind of want opinions on what is most likely the culprit and what I should try to do first to locate the faulty parts.

Any helps and suggestions are appreciated. As the problem only happens under low load I was thinking it could be power related, I was wondering if something could be done with settings in BIOS to prevent it from freezing on low loads like forcing it work harder or use money power at all times.

Last edited:

Lutfij

Titan
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

Updated BIOS. Screwed over things like BIOS suddenly giving me CPU fan warnings as I use AIO cooler.
Did you clear the CMOS after verifying your BIOS was successfully flashed? For the sake of relevance, what BIOS version are you on for your motherboard?

I was thinking it could be power related,
The first thing you could do is source(borrow, not buy) a reliably built PSU with 850W f power at your entire PC's disposal and see if the issue crops again.

Try running memtest and see if errors pop up, with rams populating slots A2 and B2, considering you have a 2x16GB kit.

Removed my M.2 disk with Windows 11 installed to try install Windows 10 on an old 2,5" SSD incase it was the disk being faulty.
Where did you source the installers for your OS? On a side note, did you install both OS(independently)in offline mode?

Sep 29, 2024
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

Updated BIOS. Screwed over things like BIOS suddenly giving me CPU fan warnings as I use AIO cooler.
Did you clear the CMOS after verifying your BIOS was successfully flashed? For the sake of relevance, what BIOS version are you on for your motherboard?

I was thinking it could be power related,
The first thing you could do is source(borrow, not buy) a reliably built PSU with 850W f power at your entire PC's disposal and see if the issue crops again.

Try running memtest and see if errors pop up, with rams populating slots A2 and B2, considering you have a 2x16GB kit.

Removed my M.2 disk with Windows 11 installed to try install Windows 10 on an old 2,5" SSD incase it was the disk being faulty.
Where did you source the installers for your OS? On a side note, did you install both OS(independently)in offline mode?
Hello. Thanks for the warm welcome

I am not sure how to flash my BIOS. I just tried revert the BIOS after taking out the CMOS battery. I also took out the CMOS battery a second time and let it be out for way longer. Had to fix BIOS date and time both times. I will check my BIOS version after a quick reboot.

Reason I think it could be power related was before it works fine under high loads. I also put my cable directly into the wall socket instead of an extender since people said that could be the issue. But problem still persisted. I am unsure if I have anyone with 850W PSU to borrow. Maybe I should just buy a new one and try it for a couple of weeks and return it if problem persist.

Regarding the memtest it ran without errors when I did it. I had them in A2 and B2 slot at that moment. You think I should run a new test? The test I ran was test 1-13 which ran 4 times and no errors. I also then ran test 14 4 times with no errors. I have not run the test since I installed Windows 11.

For my installation I have 1 USB for Windows 11 install and 1 USB for Windows 10 installed.
I have 2 m.2 SSD in my pc 1 TB and 2 TB. I format and my 1 TB drive and tried to install Windows 11 with my PC rebooting mid installation till I eventually managed to finish it. Since my PC freeze frequent after getting into Windows I decided I would try install Windows 10 on the SSD that has not been connected for quite some time. I disconnected SSD once I noticed my PC acting weirdly. But since it without the 1 TB m.2 SSD restarted/froze during installation with the disk not even being connected, I assumed it was not the 1 TB m.2's fault. I did have my PC connected to the internet if that is what you consider offline mode.

Also I am unsure if this has any relevance. But I used to have an old 4 TB HDD in my pc. And that one starting acting weirdly to the moment I was unable to really access it anymore. So I removed it some time back. Which made stuff that was installed on that drive making issues for my PC. I for example had a few games installed on it through Steam and Battlenet. And once the disk was removed I was unable to uninstall/install games on battle net because according to my system I had the games installed but I not able to locate them. And since they were seen as installed I was unable to install them again. So that it also a main reason I was hoping a Windows reinstall would have helped. I am also unsure of which date this happened, but this might be year ago way before my problem started that I disconnected the drive.

Sep 29, 2024
Not sure if I found correct information.
But BIOS Information.
BIOS Version: 5013
Build Date: 03/22/2024
AGESA Version: ComboV2_120Ca
LED EC1 Version AULA3-6K75-0222

So as I rebooted my PC I went back to write here and my PC froze before I was able to write Build Date. I used button(soft reset/reboot) on PC to reboot it again. And to make sure my PC do not freeze I open PUBG as my PC started and PC works fine and continue to write here. So I decided to close the game and my PC froze again. So I booted it up again and keep it running while I finish this posts. It feels so weird to me that I need to run something heavy for PC to not freeze.

While I have the game up in the background my CPU lies at around 5%, GPU at 30-35% and Memory around 33%.

If there is any other information I should get from the BIOS please let me know.

Latest posts