Question Doubts about storing/stacking HDDs ?

cloudff7ps1

Reputable
Sep 3, 2020
If I place the 2.5" 7mm Seagate ST500LM030 HDD on top of another 2.5" 7mm Seagate ST500LM030 HDD, will the weight of the top HDD deform the metal of the HDD underneath, damaging the magnetic disks?

USAFRet

Titan
If I place the 2.5" 7mm Seagate ST500LM030 HDD on top of another 2.5" 7mm Seagate ST500LM030 HDD, will the weight of the top HDD deform the metal of the HDD underneath, damaging the magnetic disks?
Do you mean just laying it on top?

A spinning HDD needs to be bolted in to the case.
Otherwise, the vibration from the spinning will have effects.

But the weight of one won't "deform" the other.

But they both need to be bolted in.

I've had two Western Digital external HDDs perched one atop the other for at least 10 years.
I use them regularly for multiple backups and never had any data loss or any other problems with them.

Of course, they will fail one day, but nothing to do with the way they are stacked.
When one of them fails I replace it as soon as possible.

Reactions: Viking2121
No it wont hurt it no, not ideal, you could have a bunch of 2.5inch drives stacked even 3.5inch drives, as long as they don't fall or get bumped to aggressively, should be fine.

I got a room dedicated to computer junk, and I got piles of HDD's that are in known working condition, and I got them all stacked on top of each other on a shelve, never had an issue with it.

Reactions: Phillip Corcoran
I have 4 drives
What type of check should I perform once a year? Is it possible without having to copy the files to the PC and without making a new copy to these HDDs?
But four drives of what? Four copies of your data? Or is the data on each drive the only existing copy?

Where did you get once a year from? Nobody here said to do it once a year.

You give very little information. How important is this data to you? You seem to want to do nothing more than some five minute check once a year, and that's fine if you losing any of it is just irritating. If though one day you can't get to the data and you would end up posting here about how important it was and you'd do anything to get it back no matter what the cost, then that's a different matter.

USAFRet

Titan
I have 4 drives
What type of check should I perform once a year? Is it possible without having to copy the files to the PC and without making a new copy to these HDDs?
At the very least, you need to power it/them up, and verify the data on them is still readable.

You can't just put a drive on the shelf, leave it for years, and assume it will work.

We've had this specific discussion before.

cloudff7ps1

Reputable
Sep 3, 2020
Yes, I will connect these drives and check if the data is readable, but how often? Many times a year? How can I check if they are readable without having to copy everything to the PC?

is easy lost damage files in hdd

USAFRet

Titan
Yes, I will connect these drives and check if the data is readable, but how often? Many times a year? How can I check if they are readable without having to copy everything to the PC?

is easy lost damage files in hdd
Having the data on more than a single drive is your safeguard for data loss.
They won't all fail at the same moment.

There is no hard and fast rule to "how often". All up to you.

Latest posts