[SOLVED] Frames drops while gaming

Feb 10, 2021
Hello there. from past few days I am experiencing massive frames drops & stuttering while I am gaming. I bought RTX 2070 last month (January 2021) . It was running fine for few days & I was getting 100+ fps in high settings in Battlefield 4 and never come down below 80 fps. After 2 weeks my frames drops from 150 fps to 30 fps. Some times its drops below 15 fps. I have installed latest updated driver (Both windows & Graphic). But it didn't solve my problem. I have checked the temp. Its never crossed 55'C.I have tried several mathod like "Power management" & "Registry editing". Bit it didn't solve my problem either. Should I replace my GPU or its another hardware - software problem?

My System details are

CPU ;- AMD FX 6300

Motherboard:- ASUS M5A78L-M PLUS/USB 3

RAM :- HyperX Fury DDR 3 8GB*2 (Total 16GB)

Graphic :- ASUS Dual RTX 2070 8GB

Monitor :- LG IPS display 24 inch Full HD

Primary :- Samsung 860 EVO 1 TB. (200GB used only)

Secondary :- WD 500 GB

Cooler Master MWE Gold 750W (Full Modular)

4 nos. 120mm fans and 1 nos. 140mm Cabinet fans. (3 at front panel, 1 on top & 1 at back panel. )

I use HDMI connection for display & I play on 1080 P resolution on high settings. (Battlefield 4)

So what causing the Frames drops problem? I am so frustrated.

Solution
I will upgrade my CPU to Ryzen 7 3rd gen at the end of this year. But Mr. Henry, I have read in few online threads that some RTX 2080ti failing due to rapid memory degradation coz they are from Micron memory. & it is reported that some RTX 2070 card also having the same problem. Am I the another victim?

From what I’ve read you have nothing to worry about. First of all this memory degradation issue first happened two years ago when the RTX 20 series cards were first launched and you are right, 2070s did also fall victim to the issue. This was an issue with Micron, the manufacturers of the VRAM chips they were using. If I understand correctly, a switch was made to Samsung memory and it fixed the issue. All 20 series cards with...

Henry577

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2014
I don’t know a lot about amd processors but I’m going to assume by the fact you’ve written ddr3 ram that your processor/ram is probably bottlenecking your system. Most likely graphics are running fine then you’re seeing frame drop any time your system is relying on your processor or ram for information and calculations.

Edit: Just looked it up and you’re running a processor released in 2012! Assuming the rest of your system is that old it’s like strapping a Bugatti engine to a mk4 golf (that would actually be pretty cool though not gonna lie).

Last edited:
Feb 10, 2021
Thank you Mr. Henry577 for your replay. I understand that my CPU is bottlenecking my GPU. But when I bought the graphic card, 1st 2-3 weeks it runs perfectly. I was getting over 100 fps in Battlefield 4 in high setting at 1080P. After 2 weeks the problem starts showing. At 1st... my FPS drops from 120 to 20 or 25 FPS & stay the for 40-50 sec. After that it comes to normal again. It was happening several times while gaming. But now.... my FPS dosen't rise up over 35 FPS. While gaming, my CPU usage is 100% & GPU usage is Almost 30%. Temp is well below 50'C. If my GPU is bottlenecking that much, why I was getting 100+ FPS at 1st 2 weeks of gaming? And why after a month of usage, the RTX 2070 giving me not more then 35 FPS?

Reactions: Henry577

Henry577

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2014
Thank you Mr. Henry577 for your replay. I understand that my CPU is bottlenecking my GPU. But when I bought the graphic card, 1st 2-3 weeks it runs perfectly. I was getting over 100 fps in Battlefield 4 in high setting at 1080P. After 2 weeks the problem starts showing. At 1st... my FPS drops from 120 to 20 or 25 FPS & stay the for 40-50 sec. After that it comes to normal again. It was happening several times while gaming. But now.... my FPS dosen't rise up over 35 FPS. While gaming, my CPU usage is 100% & GPU usage is Almost 30%. Temp is well below 50'C. If my GPU is bottlenecking that much, why I was getting 100+ FPS at 1st 2 weeks of gaming? And why after a month of usage, the RTX 2070 giving me not more then 35 FPS?

A CPU running at 100% is a struggling CPU. It’s common when doing things like rendering but not gaming. Your CPU is being asked to do more than it has the capacity for. I can’t explain why it was running fine at first but it is definitely struggling now. You said your graphics card isn’t getting hot so there’s no way it’s thermal throttling. I would highly recommend upgrading your processor, RAM, and motherboard ASAP to unlock the full potential of your 2070. For now just try and reduce CPU reliant settings and background applications. I’ve found capping your frame rate to match your monitor refresh rate or just over can also help as your computer won’t be wasting resources on frames you won’t see anyway. (Although this can make your gameplay feel a bit choppy at times)

Feb 10, 2021
I will upgrade my CPU to Ryzen 7 3rd gen at the end of this year. But Mr. Henry, I have read in few online threads that some RTX 2080ti failing due to rapid memory degradation coz they are from Micron memory. & it is reported that some RTX 2070 card also having the same problem. Am I the another victim?

Henry577

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2014

From what I’ve read you have nothing to worry about. First of all this memory degradation issue first happened two years ago when the RTX 20 series cards were first launched and you are right, 2070s did also fall victim to the issue. This was an issue with Micron, the manufacturers of the VRAM chips they were using. If I understand correctly, a switch was made to Samsung memory and it fixed the issue. All 20 series cards with memory issues were replaced with new ones with Samsung memory.

A big company like nvidia has too many eyes on it and would never get away with letting an issue like that slide. It’s been two years since the issue was reported, of course they would have fixed it by now. I expect they were also very apologetic to all customers that were affected, getting replacement cards to them as soon as possible.

Nice to hear about your future upgrade though, it will truly enable your 2070 to run free. Excuse me for being biased but the new 10th generation intel CPUs are looking very nice (and cheap). ;)

Solution

Rexer

Distinguished
Uninstall your gpu drivers and Clean install them again. If that doesn’t help, i’d have to agree... your system really isn’t likely to cut it these days.
I agree with Ash95. Sounds like a software issue. Even temp and junk files interfering. Run only one monitoring program with gpu driver. Keep things simple (don't run stuff like Speed Fan with Afterburner with the EVGA driver) or download and install new driver updates without entirely removing the old one. Very important.
Several years ago, I got some some sort of malware on my computer that downloaded a bunch of junk programs that stuffed up it's performance. Run your anti-virus/spyware protection and see if you don't find something.
You might want to to use Disk Cleanup in Local disk C: > Properties and clean out all the old Microsoft installers. Once Microsoft downloads and installs Windows updates, the installers don't have anything to do so they hang out in your computer and take up space.