Question Frames skip on games all of a sudden

Jul 16, 2019
So all of a sudden my frames have started to skip on apex and sometimes in other games. It’s really frustrating because I want to play ranked on apex but the skipping is holding me back.

Here's my set up anyway

CPU - Ryzen 5 1600X oc to 3.9hz

GPU - Nvidia 1060 6gb

RAM - corsair vengeance pro 2 x 8gb stick 3200mhz

MOBO - Rog strix b350f

PS - Corsair 550w (not entirely sure about the model)

Anyway...i remember not having any issues with frames skipping on apex before, i play with all settings on low to try and get the most out of my 1080p 144hz monitor. I have tried everything to try and get rid of the skipping, I have even gone the config files to tweak some settings down and still its skipping. Im not entirely sure what the problem is here but if anyone could help me i would appreciate it a lot!

Also, another thing, i want to take this game competitively and want to be hitting 144 frames consistently regardless the situation. Can anyone recommend a good AMD gpu that can achieve these results and one that is under £400 ( I forgot to mention I have a freesync monitor).

Thank you :)

Jul 16, 2019
I had Nvidia settings on apex
Pre rendered to 1
Vsync off
Power management highest avaible
Refresh rate set to highest
I’ve tweaked these setting a lot and I still get frame skips in game

Ok so that is loading scenes lag. When you move from point a to point b you hd has to load in a new scene/location if you will. This can be a combination of hd lag loading the scene and if online lag on the internet, download speed. What type of hard drive are you using? What resolution also ?

Jul 16, 2019
Ok so that is loading scenes lag. When you move from point a to point b you hd has to load in a new scene/location if you will. This can be a combination of hd lag loading the scene and if online lag on the internet, download speed. What type of hard drive are you using? What resolution also ?
I've got apex on a 125gb ssd (moved it recently to see if that would solve the problem...it didnt) and the rest of my games are on my 2tb seagate hd. I only play on 1080p.

Jul 16, 2019
Nope, nothing running in the background. Could possibly be a lag issue from my end to be honest, but when the stutter happens there’s no indication on the top right to indicate that it’s ping related. I always had in mind whether I need a better power supply, surely 550w is enough for what I have currently, right ?

Jul 16, 2019
Have you checked task manager whil playing the game t see if something is running in backround and taking up resources? I also have read that Apex is a lag fest recently and may not be on your end. But you say this hppens in other games?
And I’m thinking of upgrading my PS to 850gq alongside with an sapphire Radeon RX Vega 64 nitro +

Jul 16, 2019
What bios are you running on the motherboard?
Haven't had any BSOD issues as of yet. I put my cpu back to stock settings (3.6ghz) and it seemed to have fixed the problem, might have been an unstable OC. Only played withcer 3 and noticed minimal stuttering (barely noticeable), need to play apex today since I was having internet issues yesterday. As of the bios, i believe im on version 4011.
And I am considering getting the Sapphire Radeon Rx 64 8gb Nitro + , I have done all the measurements in my case and it fits but it'll be right up against my radiator, will this cause any issues ?

Jul 16, 2019
Up against what radiator? Honestly with your set up you should not have to play on low settings. Have you monitored temps on your gpu and cpu? Do you use Msi Afterburner with your card to overclock it? Glad to see we made some improvement.
With any competetive shooter I like to on play on all low settings to achieve 144fps, but with games like witcher I tend to push to the high settings in which i still achieve a decent framerate (60-80).
But I feel the need to upgrade because I just want to hit 144fps constantly and tweak some settings to high in some shooters. And as for the other graphic card that I'm interested in I feel like it will be right up again the water cooling radiator. https://www.amazon.co.uk/Corsair-Hy...water+cooling&qid=1563482735&s=gateway&sr=8-4

TRENDING THREADS