Frantic Fan Speed

t33lo

Distinguished
Jul 15, 2005
I used RivaTuner and the auto fan control function so that as the temperature of the core increases, so does the fan in a linear relationship. For some reason though, the graphs provided by the monitoring portion of RivaTuner went haywire. Do you know what is causing all of this? I monitored this a few hours ago and it didn't show any of those peaks.

crazygraph.jpg

Solution

You should be using EVGA Precision! Its an awesome program!
try it out

t33lo

Distinguished
Jul 15, 2005

I think it was just some temporary glitch, I restarted, unplugged the card and its back to normal. Its a EVGA GTX 275 FTW by the way.

fpsdominator

Distinguished
Feb 25, 2009

You should be using EVGA Precision! Its an awesome program!
try it out

Solution

t33lo

Distinguished
Jul 15, 2005

I did use precision, but RivaTuner has so many options.... With Precision, you have to create profiles and hotkeys to activate say, a higher clock speed or fan speed. Personally, I don't change my clock speed since RivaTuner manages my 2d/3d clock speeds. Also, I use RivaTuner to create a variable fan speed relative to the temperature. For instance, my fan always spins at 40% @ 1300 RPM's. The idle temperature is about 43C too. When my card gets up to about 59C, the fan speed will increase linearly with the temperature, so at say, 65C my fan speed is now 70% @ 2000RPM's. At 75C or higher, the fan will automatically kick up to 100% @ 2500RPM's. As soon as the temp drops such as closing the game i'm in, the fan speed will slow down immediately. This way, I never have to monitor the temperature at all since I have never gone over 83C in any program at 100% fan speed. It's a bit tricky to set up, but there are threads on how to do it.

P.S. How come Firefox never sames Tom'sHardware username and password? It's really starting to bother me. I have Firefox enabled to save all usernames, passwords, and cookies.

t33lo

Distinguished
Jul 15, 2005
This is what my graph looks like....

rtm.png

In the beginning, the horizontal lines are the 2d clock speeds. As soon as I access my 3d program, the clock speeds jump up. You can see that the fan speed increases as the temperature increases. As soon as I exit the 3d program, the temp drops immediately, along with the fan speed. The clocks revert back to 2d High performance, then regular 2D about 10 secs later. Works like a charm.

fpsdominator

Distinguished
Feb 25, 2009

Can you set what RPM you want he fan to spin at a certain temp?
That would be awesome if you could!

t33lo

Distinguished
Jul 15, 2005

I'm not sure, but my method of configuring the fan speed is an extention of that. Most fan's come with a few settings, say a idle, medium, and high. Idle is usually anywhere > 80C. Then after that, the fan will kick on even higher. I can't speak on behalf of all cards, but my last 7800gtx and my current gtx 275 perform in that manner. The fan ran at 40% until the card got really hot. With the way I have it set up, it will never get hotter than 75C without being at 100%. Makes it so that I never have to monitor the temp since I know that over 75C the fan will run at full speed.