[SOLVED] FreeSync FPS hz question help

ben-z

Commendable
Feb 12, 2019
Does the FreeSync work with dynamic FPS? Or do I need to lock the FPS in the game?

I can set my monitor to 120 hz or 60hz. So in destiny 2 I’m on 70 FPS so which refresh rate will be better?
If I’ll hit 90 FPS with 120hz refresh rate, so with FreeSync, the monitor and gpu will sync on 90 FPS /hz?

if my FPS higher than 60 should I pick 120 Hz?

Sorry for the mess or mistakes, just trying to understand

Last edited:
Solution
this monitor has a factory setting for oc to 144hz. think its safe? for long time use

Freesync works only in games, because only in games variable framerate has a meaning. On Windows set your frame rate 120. It would be fine. Because youtube videos are 30 or 60 fps. It will not be an issue.

In games the thing is different. Your CPU and GPU has limitations and even the best CPU and GPU in QHD and 4K resolutions cannot give stable 144 frames in higher settings. That means even the best computer would suffer screen tearing with 144 Hz monitor that does not have Freesync or G-sync. With variable frame rates we can now have smooth screens, that increases the gaming experience a lot.

Moving from a 60 Hz HD monitor to 144 Hz...
Freesync is a variable refresh rate. You will want your monitor set to the maximum that it can do and depending on the variable refresh range your gaming experience will be fluid. For example if your monitor has a variable rate of 50-120Hz, any FPS in that range will be smooth. Over 120 FPS typically won't be a problem.

ben-z

Commendable
Feb 12, 2019
Freesync is a variable refresh rate. You will want your monitor set to the maximum that it can do and depending on the variable refresh range your gaming experience will be fluid. For example if your monitor has a variable rate of 50-120Hz, any FPS in that range will be smooth. Over 120 FPS typically won't be a problem.
oh so the monitor can display at all the frequencies within that range at any given moment according to every changing fps......, i thought maybe it can only permanently display at 60, 120, 59 etc

and should it always be set at 120hz? what about youtube\netflix and such?

thanks a lot

oh so the monitor can display at all the frequencies within that range at any given moment according to every changing fps......, i thought maybe it can only permanently display at 60, 120, 59 etc

and should it always be set at 120hz? what about youtube\netflix and such?

thanks a lot
Just set it at 120Hz and don't worry about it. Youtube etc will be just fine. I have a 100Hz monitor and it is set at 100Hz the whole time and don't have issues with video.

falcon291

Honorable
Jul 17, 2019
this monitor has a factory setting for oc to 144hz. think its safe? for long time use

Freesync works only in games, because only in games variable framerate has a meaning. On Windows set your frame rate 120. It would be fine. Because youtube videos are 30 or 60 fps. It will not be an issue.

In games the thing is different. Your CPU and GPU has limitations and even the best CPU and GPU in QHD and 4K resolutions cannot give stable 144 frames in higher settings. That means even the best computer would suffer screen tearing with 144 Hz monitor that does not have Freesync or G-sync. With variable frame rates we can now have smooth screens, that increases the gaming experience a lot.

Moving from a 60 Hz HD monitor to 144 Hz Freesync QHD monitor, my K/D in BFV increased from 0.86 to 1.01 in 3 months. It is not that my play improved, I have been playing Battlefield from BF 1942, but these extra frames and smooth screens help me a lot.

Last edited:
Solution

ben-z

Commendable
Feb 12, 2019
i just today upgraded to 1080p 144hz freesync monitor from an old 60hz one with new rx 590 and i must say im exciting like a little girl, its so awesome.the smooth graphics.

i was really thinking if to replace to 144hz qhd intead.
which amd gpu do i need to get 144 fps on qhd 144hz? lol

falcon291

Honorable
Jul 17, 2019
i just today upgraded to 1080p 144hz freesync monitor from an old 60hz one with new rx 590 and i must say im exciting like a little girl, its so awesome.the smooth graphics.

i was really thinking if to replace to 144hz qhd intead.
which amd gpu do i need to get 144 fps on qhd 144hz? lol

Ver much depends on the game, and settings. It is easy to get good fps in Counter Strike, but for BFV and other 2019 games it is harder. But if you accept to play the game in low settings, even GTX 1070 would help you. Anything better is better.