Question Freesync/G-sync compatibale only working at native resolution?

u700

Commendable
Feb 21, 2019
Hi.

I have 1060 3GB. I recently bought a 1440p Freesync monitor AOC Q3279VWFD8, and after some testing, I noticed Freesync only works at 1440p. If I change to 1080p it stops working and I get screen tearing.

Is this normal? Is Freesync / G-sync compatible only meant to work at native resolution?

boju

Titan
Ambassador
Results between Freesync monitors can vary so couldn't say for sure. Is screen tear happening in all games or is it because you're getting more fps in 1080p? If frame rate is above 144fps in the games you play try enable vsync or limit fps so it's within Gsync/Freesync range.

u700

Commendable
Feb 21, 2019
Results between Freesync monitors can vary so couldn't say for sure. Is screen tear happening in all games or is it because you're getting more fps in 1080p? If frame rate is above 144fps in the games you play try enable vsync or limit fps so it's within Gsync/Freesync range.

Yes, framerate was limited to 60 in-game. The monitor's Freesync range is 48 - 75. I've tested 2 games so far. Vsync OFF. Screen tearing appears at 1080p but not 1440p.

u700

Commendable
Feb 21, 2019
So looks like Vsync is keeping you within gsync range. Do you get input lag with vsync on?

With both Freesync and Vsync ON, I can't tell if there's a lag.
With Freesync OFF, Vsync ON I notice a higher input lag.

What's weird though. with Freesync ON, Vsync OFF, I can still see some minimal tearing, but only in some situations. If I keep moving the mouse left/right I can no longer see the tearing, it's gone. But if I walk with my character forward/backward down/up a staircase I can still see it a little bit.

Is Freesync on its own meant to remove screen tearing entirely? Or is Freesync + Vsync required for full tearing elimination?

boju

Titan
Ambassador
Vsync is used if frame rates exceeds Gsync/Freesync range, in this range there shouldn't be any input lag even if vsync is on. Having Vsync on caps your fps so it doesn't go above 75Hz. If fps goes over 75fps then there's tearing.

You should have ADAPTIVE Vsync on.

Your monitors VRR range is very narrow. It's predictable that you may have difficulty keeping frame rates inside this narrow band.

Do you have FRAPS running while you're testing so you know what your frame rates are? Possibly, when you switch to 1080p, the frame rates exceed the 75Hz limit of your monitor (depending on the game or in-game settings)

Last edited:

TRENDING THREADS