FreeSync vs. G-Sync 2020: Which Variable Refresh Tech Is Best Today?

cyrusfox

Distinguished
So many words, with no concrete conclusion(or data). Where is a critical opinion in this article...
I'll inject my own as I was so frustrated to read something this meandering(long) and then come to such a bland conclusion. I was really expecting some sort of test rather than a wall of text on features.

Short conclusion:
G-sync guarenteed to get better results for a higher price and only compatible with one flavor of cards(Green team).
Freesync can work just as well, is free, but with no guarentees and not consistently applied so do your homework on the monitor.

From my own use, I have 2 LG4k monitors(LG 27UK600) that are freesync supported, I have G-sync enabled on them(TB3 1050 dock and a 1080 on the desktop), I can not tell a difference, maybe there is a benefit, although not one I can perceive.

Deicidium369

Permanantly banned.
BANNED
Mar 4, 2020
So many words, with no concrete conclusion(or data). Where is a critical opinion in this article...
I'll inject my own as I was so frustrated to read something this meandering(long) and then come to such a bland conclusion. I was really expecting some sort of test rather than a wall of text on features.

Short conclusion:
G-sync guarenteed to get better results for a higher price and only compatible with one flavor of cards(Green team).
Freesync can work just as well, is free, but with no guarentees and not consistently applied so do your homework on the monitor.

From my own use, I have 2 LG4k monitors(LG 27UK600) that are freesync supported, I have G-sync enabled on them(TB3 1050 dock and a 1080 on the desktop), I can not tell a difference, maybe there is a benefit, although not one I can perceive.

And what games at what resolution are you running? Neither GSync or Freesync will make one bit of difference on the desktop. This is an anti tearing technology - which happens at high resolution and high frame rates.

I have had a real G Sync monitor since the original that only worked with the Asus monitor... It has improved greatly and is very noticeable - would not expect anything with a Free Sync monitor that is G Sync "compatible" - just won't be a big deal at all.

I still don't see a single 2560x1440 monitor that's compatible with both FreeSync Premium Pro and G-Sync HDR. When there is, I will buy it.

See:

I don't want 4k, and anything wider than a 27" 16:9 monitor won't fit in my setup.

So this monitor definitely has G-Sync HDR, I am using it but it’s not on that list. I am not sure about version of Freesync as the spec’s don’t confirm this and I not running FreeSync. https://www.lg.com/us/monitors/lg-27gl83a-b-gaming-monitor

bit_user

Polypheme
Ambassador
So this monitor definitely has G-Sync HDR, I am using it but it’s not on that list.
Does it support G-Sync and HDR, simultaneously? I don't know what are Nvidia's criteria for stating a G-Sync monitor supports HDR, but you could look into that, if you're curious.

I am not sure about version of Freesync as the spec’s don’t confirm this and I not running FreeSync. https://www.lg.com/us/monitors/lg-27gl83a-b-gaming-monitor
I almost bought one, last December. Amazon briefly had quite an amazing deal on them.

According to the link I posted above, it's "FreeSync Premium", whereas "Premium Pro" is their HDR tier. The tiers are defined here:

bit_user

Polypheme
Ambassador
BTW, Gigabyte's FI27Q-P is 90% there, for me. It has G-Sync HDR, but only Freesync Premium. Also, customer reviews complain about backlight bleed, near the bottom.

But, the cool thing about it is that it features DisplayPort HBR 3, which enables 10-bit at higher refresh rates (and maybe that's what qualified it for G-Sync HDR?).

Does it support G-Sync and HDR, simultaneously? I don't know what are Nvidia's criteria for stating a G-Sync monitor supports HDR, but you could look into that, if you're curious.

I almost bought one, last December. Amazon briefly had quite an amazing deal on them.

According to the link I posted above, it's "FreeSync Premium", whereas "Premium Pro" is their HDR tier. The tiers are defined here:
It definitely has G-Sync and HDR on at the same time. That’s how I’m using it.

"So which is better: G-Sync or FreeSync? Well, with the features being so similar there is no reason to select a particular monitor just because it runs one over the other. Since both technologies produce the same result, that contest is a wash at this point. "

Well, if they're the same performance-wise, then the obvious choice is to take the one that doesn't cost anything. That's pretty much a no-brainer. LOL

Reactions: sherhi

d0x360

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2016

Short conclusion:

I have a 3080ti FTW3 Ultra and I play games on an LG C1 that supports Freesync premium and it definitely looks better with less chance of flicker if you enable Freesync premium even with a nVidia GPU.

The Xbox series x supports it has well and combined with hgig support it's top tier.

PS5 unfortunately doesn't support it and also has a tighter VRR range combined with an odd implementation. Sony has been putting out 40fps performance modes so LFC has to be used but it works perfectly. No screen tearing even though it's an unlocked frame rate targeting 40hz and often going over.

At this point I don't see one in buying Gsync. Freesync and premium etc are all based on standards but gysnc is not. Thankfully for once nVidia caved and starts supporting VRR.

Thanks for the article updates. I didn't see an explanation of exactly what LFC entails. Can anyone enlighten me? Thanks.

Basically something runs unlocked in a 120hz container and and when it goes below the lower bounds it will insert a duplicate frame every 3rd frame so it never perceptually dips below 40fps.

Also because of rendering time in ms's 40hz is exactly between 30fps and 60fps so a game in a 120hz container that's targeting 40fps will actually feel quite a bit smoother than 30fps. I know that sounds kinda wrong but it's true. It's about frame times and latency and not the actual number that is between the 2 which is 45.

The last benefit of targeting 40hz is the games often end up running well above it. Ratchet & Clank and Spiderman often hit numbers above 60 in these RT enabled performance modes.

Last edited:
Reactions: bit_user
Oct 26, 2022
This article fails to mention a very important fact about GSync Ultimate that affects user experience and that is that all Gsync Ultimate-equipped monitors have a loud fan in the monitor to provide active cooling for the Gsync Ultimate processor. Who wants a noise-producing fan in their monitor? No thank you!

Sergei Tachenov

Commendable
Jan 22, 2021
If you purchase a G-Sync monitor, you will only have support for its adaptive-sync features with a GeForce graphics card. You're effectively locked into buying Nvidia GPUs as long as you want to get the most out of your monitor.
Wrong. All modern G-Sync (AKA G-Sync 2.0) monitors support FreeSync as well (maybe not FreeSync Premium Pro, though). It's very misleading to claim otherwise in 2022.

Also, the most important G-Sync feature, variable overdrive, is mentioned in only one place, in the table, and it's wrong too. Both G-Sync and G-Sync Ultimate support variable overdrive. Now look up response times of the Asus PG279QM at different refresh rates at reasonable overdrive settings, such as Normal or e-Sports. Practically zero overshoot and very good response. Now try to find any FreeSync-only 240 Hz monitor with similar response times and no noticeable overshoot from anywhere near to 60 Hz all the way up to 240 Hz.

For 144 Hz monitors it's OK if there's a single overdrive mode that is well tuned for 60-144 Hz, you don't really need hardware G-Sync then. I've actually upgraded from the PG279QM to the M32U for its 4K resolution and I'm fine without G-Sync.

This article fails to mention a very important fact about GSync Ultimate that affects user experience and that is that all Gsync Ultimate-equipped monitors have a loud fan in the monitor to provide active cooling for the Gsync Ultimate processor. Who wants a noise-producing fan in their monitor? No thank you!
True. But tell that to LG. They somehow manage to keep making FreeSync monitors with fans (the 27GP950, 32GQ950).

But this is exactly why I'd choose the PG279QM over the AW2721D any day. Especially since there's little use for G-Sync Ultimate in an SDR monitor. And the vast majority of monitors are strictly SDR these days, regardless of what their spec sheets say.

bit_user

Polypheme
Ambassador
Also, the most important G-Sync feature, variable overdrive, is mentioned in only one place, in the table, and it's wrong too. Both G-Sync and G-Sync Ultimate support variable overdrive. Now look up response times of the Asus PG279QM at different refresh rates at reasonable overdrive settings, such as Normal or e-Sports. Practically zero overshoot and very good response. Now try to find any FreeSync-only 240 Hz monitor with similar response times and no noticeable overshoot from anywhere near to 60 Hz all the way up to 240 Hz.

For 144 Hz monitors it's OK if there's a single overdrive mode that is well tuned for 60-144 Hz, you don't really need hardware G-Sync then. I've actually upgraded from the PG279QM to the M32U for its 4K resolution and I'm fine without G-Sync.
Uh, what do you mean by "overshoot", in this context?

Also, to confirm, "variable overdrive" refers to running the monitor at a higher framerate? And the "variable" part means that the frame rate can vary?

Sergei Tachenov

Commendable
Jan 22, 2021
No.

Overdrive is a tech for improving pixel response times. Basically, if your panel is too slow, you can push it harder and it'll be faster. But push it too hard, and you end up overshooting the target value. So when, for example, you need to go from dark grey to light grey you end up going to white instead. Then it'll go back to the correct value, but that takes time, so you end up with total response time that's even larger than it was without overdrive. Moreover, if overshoot is high enough, it actually becomes visible, so a dark object moving on a light background leaves a trail that's even lighter than the background, which is known as inverse ghosting.

All modern gaming monitors have overdrive. In most models you can change it through the OSD, usually with a few settings like Low, Normal, High and Extreme or something along those lines. It's often called not overdrive, but "response time" or "motion performance," but it's still the same thing.

The tricky part is, the higher the refresh rate, the stronger overdrive you need to keep response times good. On the other hand, at lower refresh rates high overdrive leads to more overshoot. So if you play with VRR (G-Sync or FreeSync) on and a game runs at 60-90 FPS you ideally want more overdrive at 90 Hz than at 60 Hz. If the monitor can adjust it automatically for you, this is exactly what is known as variable overdrive. However, only G-Sync monitors have it. Some FreeSync monitors try to imitate it to some degree, but apparently without the right hardware you just can't do it well.

With many (but far from all) 100+ Hz monitors you can just pick a reasonable compromise setting that isn't too slow at the max refresh rate and doesn't have awful overshoot at 60 Hz. This is known as single overdrive mode. The 27GP850 is a good example of such a monitor. But at 200+ Hz it's just very, very hard to pick a mode that works across the entire range and does it well.

And even many 144 Hz monitors fail to achieve a good single overdrive mode. The M28U, for example, has noticeable overshoot even at the lowest overdrive setting (which is confusingly called 'Off') at 60 Hz. Many users complain about it. My M32U has some overshoot at the Picture Quality overdrive at 60 Hz and at the Off setting it's a bit too slow at 144 Hz. But that Picture Quality overshot is not that noticeable to me (at least in the UFO test, I've yet to actually play some games on it), so I think it has some decent single overdrive mode after all.

And with G-Sync monitors (Ultimate or not) it's usually simply a non-issue. Too bad there aren't many of them these days.

bit_user

Polypheme
Ambassador

Sergei Tachenov

Commendable
Jan 22, 2021
Which boxes? A regular 1440p monitor. Well, with 280 Hz refresh rate, but until we see some in-depth reviews, we have no idea whether it can actually handle 60 to 280 Hz on a single overdrive setting. I very much doubt it.

I'd pick the PG279QM over it any day. 240 Hz vs 280 Hz isn't any difference at all, but at least the Asus has hardware G-Sync. And I actually had one, and can confirm that it's pretty awesome.

On a more budget side, I'd rather choose a lower refresh rate monitor that can actually handle all supported refresh rates with a single setting, like the LG 27GP850, for example.

bit_user

Polypheme
Ambassador
Which boxes?
  • G-Sync HDR
  • FreeSync Premium Pro
  • HDR600
  • nano-IPS
  • DisplayPort HBR3

I don't mind if the HDR implementation doesn't use local dimming, as that has artifacts and I care more about artifact-free than excellent HDR, because I'm likely to turn down the brightness, anyhow.

I forgot to mention that I'm also looking for:
  • 1440p
  • 16x9 (or 16x10, but that's basically dead on the desktop)
  • Flat (which I prefer at sizes < 32")

I don't care about the refresh rate, except that it implies HBR3. That's relevant because it means I can get 144 Hz + HDR, which most DisplayPort 1.4 monitors can't do.

I'd pick the PG279QM over it any day. 240 Hz vs 280 Hz isn't any difference at all, but at least the Asus has hardware G-Sync. And I actually had one, and can confirm that it's pretty awesome.
Why'd you get rid of it? Size?

On a more budget side, I'd rather choose a lower refresh rate monitor that can actually handle all supported refresh rates with a single setting, like the LG 27GP850, for example.
The LG monitors aren't FreeSync Premium Pro, and I recall seeing reviews about issues like backlight bleed.

Sergei Tachenov

Commendable
Jan 22, 2021
HDR implementation without full array local dimming is simply impossible. This isn't HDR, not even limited or entry-level HDR or anything remotely resembling HDR. It's just an SDR monitor that can accept HDR input, and that's it. It's completely pointless except it may provide you a wider color gamut than regular SDR, which is more often a bad thing than a good thing as it makes colors oversaturated and ugly. It may look somewhat remotely decent in some games that can actually make use of extra colors, but that's about it.

Why'd you get rid of it? Size?
It's more like I got rid of the whole country (Russia), leaving the monitor there was just a side-effect. But I'm quite happy to have upgraded to the M32U because I work from home now 8/5 and it's much better for work than 27" 1440p. If I needed a monitor just for gaming, I'd buy it again, no questions asked.

The LG monitors aren't FreeSync Premium Pro, and I recall seeing reviews about issues like backlight bleed.
Backlight bleed is more of a lottery, and since you mention the AW2723DF has Nano-IPS, doesn't it mean it's also an LG panel? Which means the usual issues with color uniformity and all that stuff.

I've no idea about FreeSync Premium Pro thing. I know about FreeSync vs hardware G-Sync differences, but it's been a while since I had an AMD GPU, so I never actually used VRR on it.

bit_user

Polypheme
Ambassador
HDR implementation without full array local dimming is simply impossible. This isn't HDR, not even limited or entry-level HDR or anything remotely resembling HDR. It's just an SDR monitor that can accept HDR input, and that's it. It's completely pointless except it may provide you a wider color gamut than regular SDR, which is more often a bad thing than a good thing as it makes colors oversaturated and ugly.
I'm most interest in 10-bit color for eliminating banding. Any extra dynamic range is a bonus.

It's more like I got rid of the whole country (Russia), leaving the monitor there was just a side-effect.
My sympathies. I have respect for your decision to remove yourself from the situation.

Thanks again for your highly informative replies.

Sergei Tachenov

Commendable
Jan 22, 2021
I don't think you need HDR for 10 bit color at all. 10 bit SDR is still SDR. It's more about bandwidth. With the PG279QM, I was limited to 10 bit at 240 Hz because it didn't support DSC.

You won't get any extra dynamic range with a regular IPS panel with no FALD. Just the usual contrast of 1000:1 with grayish blacks. You need to look for VA panel for extra contrast, but those are either relatively slow or come with a whole bunch of Samsung issues. I wouldn't bother. I seriously considered the Neo G7 instead of the M32U but with all the mixed reviews I just gave up on any contrast and I'm quite happy that I did.

bit_user

Polypheme
Ambassador
until we see some in-depth reviews, we have no idea whether it can actually handle 60 to 280 Hz on a single overdrive setting. I very much doubt it.
So far, I've found one review:

They claim:

"One of the best aspects of this monitor is its pixel response time which barely showed any blurring or persistence at max refresh rate. You don’t need to pump up its overdrive to get good results and doing so will only add overshoot."​

Unfortunately, it seems that LG is now pushing 4k in their FreeSync Premium Pro-compatible 27" monitors. Weirdly, they have two Premium Pro models @ 1440p in a 32" size.