Question Freeze then Black Screen Crash. Fans go to 100%

AnthonyStew

Honorable
May 1, 2014
My recent thread that covers what I have troubleshooted: https://forums.tomshardware.com/threads/black-screen-pc-freeze-gpu-fans-run-at-100.3518021/unread

Problem: When I start any game my GPU fans will go to 100%, game will run for a few seconds then black screen, entire computer will freeze, everything will recover in 5-10 seconds after.

I just now noticed that when my GPU fans are going to 100%, my system and any hardware software/monitors do not detect the fans at 100%. Picture: View: https://imgur.com/a/W5KUyq2
This was taken in-game while my fans were running at max speed, as you can see both of these programs detect the fans at 33%.

I've been thinking that this is maybe a PSU issue, so I just got a brand new Be Quiet Dark Power Pro 11 1000W. As soon as I plugged everything in and started a game (Black Desert Online) it immediately did what I stated above.

Any help is much appreciated

AnthonyStew

Honorable
May 1, 2014
Hello again,

Okay. Now, this sounds more like an issue related to the Graphics card/GPU itself, since you have already upgraded your PSU to a high quality unit. Can you check this GPU on some other PC ?
Hey! Unfortunately I do not have another PC I can test with over this weekend. When Tuesday comes around, I can use a couple PCs at work to troubleshoot. Is there anything else I can try or test for you in the meantime? Could this possibly be game related as well?

I just ran this 3D Mark Timespy benchmark and the GPU ran at 100% load, 100% TDP, fans on max and didn't encounter a single problem. These were the results: View: https://imgur.com/a/RHxzee5

I am going to run some more tests through 3D Mark and see if I can replicate the freeze/black screen crash problem.

The only games I've been testing the GPU with are Black Desert Online and Escape from Tarkov.

AnthonyStew

Honorable
May 1, 2014
Hmm... Well I changed where my PCIe cords for the GPU were plugged into on the PSU and then started downloads for my other games. I have been on Black Desert with max settings for a good 10+ minutes now and the problem hasn't shown up. I will keep you posted on what happens while I keep playing and then test those other games.

AnthonyStew

Honorable
May 1, 2014
These errors are triggered by a Windows service called 'Timeout Detection and Recovery' (TDR).
Common issues that can cause a TDR: Incorrect memory timings or voltages, Insufficient/problematic PSU, Corrupt driver install, Overheating, Unstable overclocks (GPU or CPU), Incorrect MB voltages (generally NB/SB), Faulty graphics card, A badly written driver or piece of software (but this is an unlikely cause in most cases), Driver conflicts.

AnthonyStew

Honorable
May 1, 2014
I just sent ASUS a huge document detailing my problems and what I have tried. If it comes down to having to the RMA the card, I guess that is what I will have to do. I have no idea what else I can attempt to troubleshoot with without having to spend more money on another motherboard to test with.