Question Frequent disconnects over ethernet when gaming since changing router ?

gigabyte2020

Honorable
Apr 14, 2016
Hey guys,
I have been suffering from very annoying issue is that sometimes my Realtek 2.5GbE gaming family controller adapter disconnects by itself then comes again causing me disconnections in online games ALOTTT, I cant even complete 1 game, so I downloaded the realtek diagnostic tool and did it's tests, however 1 passed and the other 2 failed (check photos below) also whenever the issue happens and I diagnose the driver; the troubleshooter always suggests network reset and I do that but the issue seems to come again later, I tried uninstalling the driver but it automatically gets installed again by itself the next few secs.
windows updates are up to date (21H2) the Ethernet driver itself is up to date. I did a pin hole reset to the router but nth got improved.

Important note:
I switched to the 1.0gbps ethernet port yesterday and that's intel driver and the same disconnect happened while gaming,
but the WiFi on the phone continues to work when ethernet disconnects, what can cause this issue?

My Internet type is DSL Modem Router and am using TP-Link archer VR600 v3
can the DSL port itself of the house wall cause this issue? I mean when I contact my ISP and they do tests, they cant find anything wrong..
When I reboot the tp-link router; when it gets back on; the Lan devices seem to take much longer time than the wifi, it's like they struggle, also the wifi have to be turned off and on 2 times to reconnect and sometimes I have to reboot the router again. but with the old Huawei DG8045 router the ISP provided me with the LAN & WiFi connections didnt seem to struggle at all.

UPDATE:
I just swapped the TP-Link Archer with the Huawei DG8045 router the ISP provided me with and I didnt get any disconnection in game and also none of the ethernet adapter issues shown in the screenshots below, so I guess the tp-link archer is the problem?
any suggestions?
thanks

Last edited:
I guess it could be some defect in the tplink router. You need to try mulitple lan ports.

The 2.5g port have a long history of strange issues. It is getting better but it seem hard to be sure what driver is stable. This doesn't matter though since you are lucky and have a 1gbit port also but it still has the same issue.
What I don't understand is what this port is calling a loopback test. That normally means it somehow connects the transmit to the receive. Most times you use a special plug to do it. If the port can actually do a loopback then it is looping it internally then it should not matter what is connected.

The most common cause of this is a marginal cable. These can work randomly and work on some devices and not others. Could be you damaged the cable. It is very common in the last couple of years to see lots of fake cable that does not meet ethernet standards being sold. That flat cable in particular but there also is alot of non copper CCA cable sold also. Since these types of cables do not actually meet the standards for ethernet they can have strange problems on some equipment.

gigabyte2020

Honorable
Apr 14, 2016
I guess it could be some defect in the tplink router. You need to try mulitple lan ports.

The 2.5g port have a long history of strange issues. It is getting better but it seem hard to be sure what driver is stable. This doesn't matter though since you are lucky and have a 1gbit port also but it still has the same issue.
What I don't understand is what this port is calling a loopback test. That normally means it somehow connects the transmit to the receive. Most times you use a special plug to do it. If the port can actually do a loopback then it is looping it internally then it should not matter what is connected.

The most common cause of this is a marginal cable. These can work randomly and work on some devices and not others. Could be you damaged the cable. It is very common in the last couple of years to see lots of fake cable that does not meet ethernet standards being sold. That flat cable in particular but there also is alot of non copper CCA cable sold also. Since these types of cables do not actually meet the standards for ethernet they can have strange problems on some equipment.
my ethernet cable is new cat 6E and it everything was normal when I reconnected back my old router the ISP gave me, and the 2.5gbE ethernet never did that before with the old router :unsure: Also, I dont know what is phy loopback or the fifo tests or if they have special plugs or what they do exactly tbh, I just pressed on start test and when I do; the ethernet adapter immediately disconnects if that will prove anything?

Last edited:
I guess if you have no issues using the ISP router then that would be the easiest solution.

What you could also try I guess is to use the ISP router as a dumb switch between your PC and the tplink. What you would do is hook them both to lan ports on the ISP router and make sure the ISP router has the DHCP server off and you change the lan IP so it does not conflict with the main router.