Feb 12, 2019
Motherboard: GIGABYTE GA-H55N-USB3 LGA 1156
CPU: Intel Core i5-650
GPU: EVGA GeForce GTX 970
PSU: Cooler Master MWE 500 Watt
Memory: G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3 1333
SSD: SAMSUNG 860 EVO Series 2.5" 500GB

Hello all,

I've been searching the net the last week unable to find an answer so I thought I'd post here to see if someone can help me. Every time I try to boot from my USB I get this code. Everything is new except the GPU which I used in my computer for years. I updated the latest drivers for the GPU before I uninstalled it. I tried a 2nd mobo. The windows USB drive I bought doesn't work nor does the program I downloaded from windows website to my own USB work. I've checked compatibility of everything a dozen times and the only thing I've found is the card is PCI 3 and the board is PCI 2, but from what I understand the GPU is retrogradable. I've tried everything I can think of, and I could really use the help. Especially since I'm building it for my wife....she's getting antsy.

hypogogic

Honorable
Jan 9, 2013
Are you booting to install an OS?

What are you trying to do?

I'd try remaking the USB stick again or using a different one. Let me know what you're doing and I'll see if I can help. Also the PCIe2.0 should be okay.

Some motherboards have a second BIOS you can change it to that using a small switch present somewhere on the front of the board (read manual for location) you can download it if you need to. Try switching if it has one and use that.

If it works that way you need to flash the old bios because if you don't and both hit problems it means a new motherboard next time. Good luck. Hope this helps

Gertz-Khev

Reputable
Feb 12, 2019
I trying to install windows 10 from the USB. I bought one from newegg and I made one from the windows site download. Tried both to no avail. I can get into BIOS why would I need to get into the 2nd? (and yes it is dual BIOS)

Colif

Win 11 Master
Are you sure it is booting off the USB and not just the hdd? Are you clean installing to fix a previous problem as perhaps the error is caused by hdd and not USB. Its unlikely to be the installer itself if you already used 2 different sticks.

is quick boot enabled in Advanced BIOS features? might want it disabled, its the default anyway. I can't see anything about Secure boot and given age of PC, that makes sense.

dual bios doesn't work like that. If its a Gigabyte board, the 2nd bios is only ever used to flash the main bios if its corrupted when PC starts. PC never boots from it directly.

If you sure its not an error coming from hdd, I often find BSOD that show up when installing windows can be caused by ram.

Try running memtesst86 on each of your ram sticks, one stick at a time, up to 8 passes. Only error count you want is 0, any higher could be cause of the BSOD. Remove/replace ram sticks with errors.

Gertz-Khev

Reputable
Feb 12, 2019
Yea its booting from the USB I set the order in BIOS and SSD is blank anyway. I tried swapping slots with each stick. I cant get to the option to run a memtest or safe mode or any other boot option. Its a 1333 board but for lolz I tried 1600 ram and that just made it crash from windows logo with no blue screen.

Apr 3, 2019
any update? i'd go down to 2sticks of ram if 4? and unlug everything except the main operating system drive you want to install onto..
also try a run from cd o.s. like mint that sometimes shows problems.. goodluck.. 0range

plug in the usb drive and boot the pc with all the hardware your gonna be using attached.

go into bios and use load optimized defaults.
set your ram speed to 1333 @1.6-1.65v even if its rated at 1.5v (unless its low voltage ram then 1.35v)
leave your cpu alone.
set the boot drive your gonna use as the install medium as system default (move it up the drive order if needed)
set peg mode to 1 (to use the gpu)
set hpet to enabled (set to 64 if the option exists and your running a 64 bit o.s., if it doesnt exist enabled is good enough)

save and quit...
you should now get the boot sequence of the installer.
1s it opens and starts the install setup. select your new boot drive (ssd/hdd) and delete all partitions.
create a new primary partition, quick format it and select it as the new boot drive to continue the install.

Gertz-Khev

Reputable
Feb 12, 2019
Update

Admitted defeat and returned the mobo and bought a new AMD mobo/chip/RAM. I tried the memtest like Colif suggested but it kept getting stuck at 23%, and yes I got the version for BIOS not UEFI.

So now I have a spare intel chip and 2 sets of RAM.