[SOLVED] Fresh install priorities

Dec 11, 2019
Hi,

I'd like to know what the suggested software priorities are when you reinstall windows, so what drivers do you install and what programs are best for hardware testing ect to keep yourself a nice stable system.

Solution
I first run memtest86.
It boots from a usb stick and does not use windows.
You can download the free edition here:
https://www.memtest86.com/download.htm
It serves as a basic check for functionality.

Install windows from a trusted source.
You should get sufficient basic drivers to continue.
Sometimes you do not get the needed lan drivers to get into the internet.

My first step is to install the drivers that come with the motherboard on a cd drive.
They may not be the latest, but they should work.
Do not take the easy way and install "all" or you will also get a bunch of tirialware and other apps that you may not want.

I am not adept at windows 10 navigation so I install windows classic shell which makes navigation more like...

Colif

Win 11 Master
  1. windows updates 1st
  2. Go to motherboard website and download latest drivers as WIndows is good but it won't get latest drivers
  3. Update GPU drivers
  4. (this might just be me) Install Bitdefender
5. At some stage in there I would install Chrome as well.

I don't run programs to work out if hardware is stable, its normally pretty obvious.

If pc isn't new, might help to grab this to identify what drivers could have newer versions
Download and run Driverview - http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/driverview.html
All it does is looks at drivers installed; it won't install any

When you run it, go into view tab and set it to hide all Microsoft drivers, will make list shorter.

Now its up to you, you can look through the drivers and try to find old drivers, or you can take a screenshot from (and including)Driver name to (and including)Creation date.
upload it to an image sharing website and show link here

All I would do is look at driver versions (or dates if you lucky to have any) to see what might have newer versions.

Reactions: BigClouter
Dec 11, 2019
I don't run programs to work out if hardware is stable, its normally pretty obvious.

I was referring more to the sequence of software/driver installation to keep the system stable.

I suppose the software for testing equipment is a separate question really and would be required if you do not have a stable system and you want to work out what your problem is.

Colif

Win 11 Master
HWINFO is useful to keep an eye on temps and other stats associated with PC, it just gives too much info in some cases
https://www.guru3d.com/files-details/hwinfo64-download.html

Having latest chipset driver is probably a good place to start. What motherboard is it? I can have a look.

Whatever you do, DON'T use 3rd party driver updaters, they can and will install the wrong drivers. Better to figure the drivers out yourself, or ask us :)

Reactions: BigClouter
Dec 11, 2019
Having latest chipset driver is probably a good place to start. What motherboard is it? I can have a look.

My MOBO is an ASRock 970m Pro3

And for my sins I tried to use 3rd party driver installers on my last installation out of pure desparation but that just unleashed merry hell, so a lesson learned the hard way.

Dec 11, 2019
Can you run that driver view as well and give me the image so I can compare?

On Asrock motherboards, you can use App Shop but I don't know if it would try to install old drivers.

win 10 likely has newer versions of LAN & AUdio drivers, I am not sure about the All in One driver though.

https://www.asrock.com/mb/AMD/970M Pro3/#Download

Will do, I'm working on it now just getting the windows updates sorted.

Dec 11, 2019
windows likely find most of the drivers you need since board is a few years old now.

I tried to get it going again but as I was installing the updates it just black screened and I had to go into safe mode which worked but it would not start windows properly it would just black screen and the mouse/keyboard stop working. Back to square one ☹️

Dec 11, 2019
what are full specs of the PC?
CPU: AMD FX 8350 (black edition)
GPU: MSI Radion R9 270 OC
MOBO: AS Rock 970M PRO3
PSU: Arctic Blue + 730w
HDD: Seagate barracuda 2TB
RAM: 2x4Gb 1333 DDR3 (unknown brand)

Is the black screen/USB thing reason you reinstalled?

No I originally reinstalled because I tried to install shogun2 total war through steam and it installed DX11 which cause my pc to have a fit and start multiple bsod sometimes without even starting windows.

Does monitor turn off or can you see activity on screen?

I can't see anything on the screen but the monitor light stays on.

I first run memtest86.
It boots from a usb stick and does not use windows.
You can download the free edition here:
https://www.memtest86.com/download.htm
It serves as a basic check for functionality.

Install windows from a trusted source.
You should get sufficient basic drivers to continue.
Sometimes you do not get the needed lan drivers to get into the internet.

My first step is to install the drivers that come with the motherboard on a cd drive.
They may not be the latest, but they should work.
Do not take the easy way and install "all" or you will also get a bunch of tirialware and other apps that you may not want.

I am not adept at windows 10 navigation so I install windows classic shell which makes navigation more like windows 7.

Download the latest graphics drivers directly from the product web site.
That may be nvidia, amd, or Intel or a combination.

I use windows defender which is fine with me. It gets installed as part of windows.

If you are going to overclock, that is a whole new ballgame, depending on how aggressive you are.

Solution