[SOLVED] Fresh install with 2 NVME M2's mounted?

Mozuna01

Prominent
Apr 14, 2021
Basic question. Is there an easy way to do a fresh install of windows on an NVME me when I only have those two drives mounted for storage? Will I have to take one out physically before I can install windows? Would I have to clone my current boot drive then switch to the clone to then reformat my current drive and then remove the clone drive physically so it doesnt conflict with my drive during the installation, and then put it back in then wipe the clone? There's gotta be an easier way. That's how I did it last time. And it all revolves around the idea that I can't have more than that one drive I want to install Windows on during the installation process. Does it really have to be that way?

Solution
With any Windows install, no matter what type of drives...have only ONE physically connected, the one you wish to install on.

What happens is, the boot partition often/usually ends up on 'the other drive'.
No matter what you select. It just does it.

USAFRet

Titan
With any Windows install, no matter what type of drives...have only ONE physically connected, the one you wish to install on.

Reactions: Mozuna01
Solution

Mozuna01

Prominent
Apr 14, 2021

This sounds great. I just want to know what the best way to format the drive before installation is. I read that you just delete everything during the actual installation with the installer tools. Is this correct? This would mean that I would not have to format the drive before getting into the installer since the installer can do all of that from scratch? Also before I’m ready I should also format the second m2 drive before i begin working on the fresh install with my to be boot drive, right?

USAFRet

Titan
This sounds great. I just want to know what the best way to format the drive before installation is. I read that you just delete everything during the actual installation with the installer tools. Is this correct? This would mean that I would not have to format the drive before getting into the installer since the installer can do all of that from scratch? Also before I’m ready I should also format the second m2 drive before i begin working on the fresh install with my to be boot drive, right?
Yes.
You can delete all existing partitions during the install. No need to do anything beforehand.

Do nothing with the other drive, until it is connected AFTER the install is done on the primary drive.

Reactions: Mozuna01

Mozuna01

Prominent
Apr 14, 2021
Yes.
You can delete all existing partitions during the install. No need to do anything beforehand.

Do nothing with the other drive, until it is connected AFTER the install is done on the primary drive.
I actually just wiped the other drive. It’s currently in an uninitialized state (unallocated). Is that ok? Just thought I’d do it before so its good to go as my second storage drive once i get the fresh install booted up.