Frontier Developments Talks 'Horizons' and CQC For 'Elite: Dangerous'

Status
Not open for further replies.

spectrewind

Distinguished
Mar 25, 2009
"docking with a spaceport requires players to slow down to a certain speed and then warp to the ship's regular speed when you get close"

>> "docking with a spaceport requires players to angularly decelerate within a gravity well, down to a certain speed, without overshooting the starport, and then safely exit frame-shift drive."

From my perspective, FD is really trying to shed the Star Trek references. ... and there is a lot of awesome terminology in the game.

Michael Hagood

Honorable
May 30, 2015
I'll probably get hate. But F*ck David Braben and E: D. I love E: D don't get me wrong. But it was a skeleton of a game that barely was able to justify the full release price. Now I knew that future content would be paid for in the future. But what they are currently trying to do with this Hoirzons BS should be infuriating to those funded E: D and those who already own it. The explanation given by FD is not clear and is open to huge interpretation. But with how they have explained and priced things it looks like a blatant money grab and dash to the console market. Charging someone who already owns the $60 game another $120 for all future content? Why pay $180 for something I can get for $60 with Star Citizen or No Man's Sky? Does no one else see the problem with that they are doing?

spectrewind

Distinguished
Mar 25, 2009

Not hate. I considered doing something similar.

SC is financed via monthly subscription: https://robertsspaceindustries.com/faq/subscriptions
(that killed the sale for me). Calculate the initial cost of buying one ship, and then recurring monthly fees just to be able to 'fly' it.

E: D is a one-shot pmt. No subscription model. I was able to get in on Premium Beta for $150.
I remembered Elite for C=64, loved it, saw youtubes of alpha play.

Buying it was a no-brainer for me.

thee_prisoner

Distinguished
Jun 30, 2008

Not hate. I considered doing something similar.

SC is financed via monthly subscription: https://robertsspaceindustries.com/faq/subscriptions
(that killed the sale for me). Calculate the initial cost of buying one ship, and then recurring monthly fees just to be able to 'fly' it.

E: D is a one-shot pmt. No subscription model. I was able to get in on Premium Beta for $150.
I remembered Elite for C=64, loved it, saw youtubes of alpha play.

Buying it was a no-brainer for me.

Star Citizen doesn't require a subscription fee. It's voluntary and funds things like going to different conventions, their informational video series, and other things.

Once you buy Star Citizen, there won't be any additional fees. There are no micro transactions. Game packages start at $30.00 now. The game most likely at release, will be $60.00.

spectrewind

Distinguished
Mar 25, 2009

VERY COOL! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.