[frown] my coimputer is dead

G

I recently got back to school after thanksgiving break and I set up my computer like normal. It got to windows and then crashed, I tried to get the error, could not get it. I think it was something about the registry. Anyway, I decided to go ahead and install my new HD (60 GB Maxtor) and reinstall windows. Well, I am formatting the disk for the 3rd time. I have tried to install windows every time however it won't load drivers it just crashes. I had my old 9.1 SCSI drive hooked up the last 2 times (the one with the error). Now it is unhooked. Any advise on what could be wrong? Thanks in advance.
Loki
sorry if this post is hard to follow, I am a little frustrated with this pooter so I write with haste.

Ncogneto

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Can we have a little more info on the computer? Is the cpu fan still working? First I suggest this. Are you running win98 or 98SE? If so, Try hooking everything back up the way you had it. Power on and hit f8 after the bios flash to give you the option of booting into safe mode, however instead of booting to safe mode choose the "command prompt only" selection. At the prompt type scanreg/fix. This should repair your windows registery. With the details you are describing however it is sounding like something other than a hard drive failure, more like a processor,mb,ram issue ( one of the the three).

A little bit of knowledge is a dangerous thing!

G

Ok, I removed the oldest 128 MB dimm and everything seemed to go well. However, when I downloaded explorer 5.5 from the windows update and restarted I got and explorer error that said I should reinstall windows. I am running windows 98. Hope that sheds some light.
thanks,
Loki